Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2020, 11:16 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Default Could this worK?

Thinking to myself" This could possibly work for homemade PVC etc, single or launch pads.

Print the swivel base for 1/8th rods, make some for 3/16ths and some for 1/4 inch. Instead of the rectangular base, print it as a 2 inch long round so it can be pushed into drilled holes in the pvc tubing fo multi-pads. or into the cross piece for a single home made pvc pad. Not only would they tilt, but swivel in their base. Make sense? I would buy several for the 1/8th rods, and a couple for the 1/4 inch and 3/16ths rods How expensive would they be?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Estes Star Port Launch Pad 001.pdf (1.41 MB, 53 views)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:54 PM
Master Modeler

With the right material and printer settings it might just work. That's just the rod holder from the first version of the Porta-Pad. I think the Starport was the chromed version that was sold with/for the Citation series kits.

I'd mainly be concerned about strength as the 3D printed parts I've seen fail fairly readily between layers when loaded.

RocketryWorks in Tucson already sells non-adjustable 3D printed rod holders with just exactly that in mind. For example: https://www.rocketryworks.com/1-8-i...unch-rod-mount/

I would LOVE to be able to have a pivot assembly that was rugged enough that I could put into a PVC-pipe-based pad or rack. Right now I'm using the two-eyebolt-based pivot/rod holder for this.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-09-2020, 02:21 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Bernard, thank you for that link. Their Cape Canaveral rack is close to what I imagined with the old Estes part reprinted to adapt to that pvc. I guess the plastics involved in 3-D printing aren't up to the task. Thanks again, interesting site.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:33 AM
Master Modeler

I've actually meant to ping James Cramton (the fellow behind RocketryWorks) to see if he has any ideas for a pivot assembly one could use this way.

The new Estes Lifetime Launch System pad has a lovely variant of the Porta-Pad pivot assembly that has a bolt (1/4 inch or so) that goes down through the top of their PVC tripod. It would be wonderful if that part could be purchased separately....but that's not likely.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-10-2020, 10:33 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I've actually meant to ping James Cramton (the fellow behind RocketryWorks) to see if he has any ideas for a pivot assembly one could use this way.

The new Estes Lifetime Launch System pad has a lovely variant of the Porta-Pad pivot assembly that has a bolt (1/4 inch or so) that goes down through the top of their PVC tripod. It would be wonderful if that part could be purchased separately....but that's not likely.

Agreed, Bernard, it would defeat the purpose of having the pad in the first place.
Too bad that it can't be done in aluminium cheap enough. CNC work is not cheap. I was a thought.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:42 AM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
Too bad that it can't be done in aluminium cheap enough. CNC work is not cheap. I was a thought.

Why not buy some aluminum angle, stainless steel hardware (1/4" bolt and nyloc nut, flat washers), drill a hole through two short pieces of the angle.

For clamping the launch rod? Drill correct size holes on the top angle, tap and die some threads on the rod and in the hole to screw the launch rod in.

Then all you would need to do is screw or bolt the bottom angle mount to your main launch pad assembly.

Attached is a quick side view drawing to show what it would look like.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1 aluminum angle.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  40.4 KB  
Old 06-11-2020, 08:05 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
Why not buy some aluminum angle, stainless steel hardware (1/4" bolt and nyloc nut, flat washers), drill a hole through two short pieces of the angle.

For clamping the launch rod? Drill correct size holes on the top angle, tap and die some threads on the rod and in the hole to screw the launch rod in.

Then all you would need to do is screw or bolt the bottom angle mount to your main launch pad assembly.

Attached is a quick side view drawing to show what it would look like.

Mike

Thank you. I have done something similar. I was looking for a bit of "elegance", you might say.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:50 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I like this Aluminum angle idea.
Could be adopted to different pads easily.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-14-2020, 04:18 PM
Cardstock Designer

Default Updated Aluminum Tilt Assembly

Thought it over a little. First thing; Must use Stainless Steel with Aluminum, or dis-similar metal corrosion will happen.

Another way to mount if not using a flat surface. Thought about how to mount these to a PVC pipe or similar.

This method will be a slide in project, for quick removal for transportation.

Hopefully the drawing will make sense-had to break it down into two photos. This method can be used on a long length to create multiple launch positions:

First photo shows modified Angle Aluminum Drawing now using a 1" wide flat bar of aluminum instead of lower Aluminum Angle. Top will still use the Aluminum Angle.

Second photo shows how saw cuts in PVC pipe can be done to space out and insert Aluminum Tilt Launch part.

Aluminum round stock , epoxied into hole drilled in Aluminum Flat bar, will sit on pipe to give back & forward stability and act as a stop to ensure the tilted aluminum angle bottom edge doesn't contact the top of PVC pipe. (See Note Below)

Bottom length of Aluminum Flat Bar inserted into PVC pipe should suffice to hold it upright as needed.

NOTE:Might need to trim inserted Flat Bar length to 1- 1/2" so the bottom edge doesn't hit the inside of the PVC pipe.

Hopefully makes sense.

Having made it this far, a new image just popped up in my mind on how to build a multiple launch assembly that can be easily taken down, and shortened or lengthened for varying launch locations.

How far apart do multiple locations have to be for safety or site rules for launching?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Aluminum1.JPG
Views: 12
Size:  56.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Aluminum2.JPG
Views: 11
Size:  54.0 KB  

Last edited by mbauer : 06-14-2020 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Question