Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2011, 07:39 PM
focused procrastinator

I am convinced that the local post office plays rugby with all my expensive live plant shipments, but since I usually get my SEMROC orders next day, if I order in the morning, or the day after, they don't get a chance to damage anything.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannycolossus
I am convinced that the local post office plays rugby with all my expensive live plant shipments, but since I usually get my SEMROC orders next day, if I order in the morning, or the day after, they don't get a chance to damage anything.

Mark your packages PERISHABLE and FRAGILE.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Is that so they will know which ones to crush without having to shake them first?
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 11-03-2011, 06:02 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
Is that so they will know which ones to crush without having to shake them first?

No matteer what you do the PO likes to "abuse" packages. But, I have fond out that if you put placards on the package, they tend to survive better.

Even if you insure a package that means very little. If you send electronics, they discount the value of the contesnts automatically. I insured a camera and it got lost, when I put in a claim, they reduced the value, I aksed WHY and was told it like a car coming off the lot, the value goes down automatically NOT RIGHT.

Many, many years ago in our local postal sorting facility they had a "target" on the wall in front of the package bin for those "packages" they wanted to "test" the contents.

The USPS keeps raising the postal rates and the service goes down........no wonder they are in the RED.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:23 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H

Exactly... OL JR
Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 PM
BAR

Quote:
No matteer what you do the PO likes to "abuse" packages. But, I have fond out that if you put placards on the package, they tend to survive better.

Even if you insure a package that means very little. If you send electronics, they discount the value of the contesnts automatically. I insured a camera and it got lost, when I put in a claim, they reduced the value, I aksed WHY and was told it like a car coming off the lot, the value goes down automatically NOT RIGHT.

Many, many years ago in our local postal sorting facility they had a "target" on the wall in front of the package bin for those "packages" they wanted to "test" the contents.

The USPS keeps raising the postal rates and the service goes down........no wonder they are in the RED.

What irks the devil out of me about the stupid postal service is, the stuff you want you get lousy service, while they NEVER seem to screw up the junk mail...

If I were king of the P.O. I'd instantly and FOREVER revoke ALL "bulk rates" on mail... (except in the case of valid charitable organizations, which would be limited to "post-card" size mailers) EVERYTHING ELSE would be STANDARD RATES.

If some junk-mail company wants to bombard everyone in the United States with a bulk-mailing, SURE, they can do it, BRING IT ON!-- BUT they have to pay the FULL POSTAL RATES just like EVERYBODY ELSE wanting to send anything through the postal system.

That would make probably 3/4 of the junk mail go away INSTANTLY, freeing up the resources of the postal service to actually provide the services that are being paid for, IE delivery of full-rate mail. Basically, as it is, the postal service is SUBSIDIZING junk-mail by delivering it at discount bulk rates, while forcing the PAYING CUSTOMERS to pay more for regular rate postage and, in essence, paying to be swamped with junk mail.

We get SO much junk mail I've seriously considered simply putting a burn barrel right beside the rural route box and simply tossing it in there every day, and once a week squirting some lighter fluid over into the barrel and tossing a lit match in...

Probably the best idea I've seen for junk mail was in FARM SHOW magazine a couple years ago... this guy up north actually HEATS HIS HOUSE with junk mail! He keeps a set of four 5-gallon buckets lined up behind the house. Every day, the junk mail gets tossed into a 5-gallon bucket in the house. At the end of the week, that bucket gets put out behind the house at the end of the line, and filled with water, mail and all. Then he gets the first bucket from the other end of the line (that's been there for 4 weeks) and dumps the water out, and the junk mail left in the bottom has by this time basically dissolved into paper "mush". He then grabs handfuls of this paper mush, wads it up into balls, and throws it hard against a sheet of plywood leaned up against the outbuilding behind the house. They "splat" and stick to the plywood, spreading out like a "cowchip". The previous weeks' cowchips are dry by this time, and usually dislodge from the jolt of the impact of the wet paper cowchip on the plywood, shaking them loose, which then slide down the plywood sheet and accumulate in a pile at the bottom. The wet ones continue to stick to the plywood until they're dry enough to 'let go'. Then he gathers up the dry cowchips that broke loose and puts them in a bin in the garage.

During winter, he simply gets a five-gallon bucket of paper cowchips, and dumps them into his wood heater and lights them up. The dense "cowchips" burn slowly and completely, heating the house like a load of wood would do.

Now THAT's turning lemons into lemonade! OL JR
Old 11-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

A UPS driver once told me that when they see that, they only throw the package 25 feet.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 11-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Master Modeler

One time I was e xpecting a shipment of motors, unfortunately, it was around the 4th of July and the package was marked with the "flamable solids" placard, needless to say, the package did not see the light of day.

I needed the motors for a 4H event on the next weekend.

This was a UPS shipment.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Master Modeler

Put the label "FECAL SAMPLES" on the outside your package.

They won't want to squeeze that one.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Put the label "FECAL SAMPLES" on the outside your package.

They won't want to squeeze that one.

I like that one
or

RADIOACTIVE...............

Then the Febs would get involved, scrap that idea............Oh yea, they are involved it's the USPS