Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 PM
BP Mafia

Default FSI upscales

I picked up a couple of TA-6070 transitions from Semroc recently with the idea of using them to put my Taurus upscale back into flying shape, but I was able to use the existing transitions. Sitting here tonight, I was trying to come up with the dimensions for an FSI Orbit for cloning purposes, and it occurred to me that I could use the 6070 transitions for a couple of upscales. I still need the tube lengths for the Orbit for a 1:1 clone, but I also need the tube lengths for the FSI Sprint for one of the upscales. Anyone?
(For the record, the other upscale is going to be the Nova, but I have an original, so that's taken care of. )

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Master Modeler

Orbit dimensions:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...fsiflyer10.html

Sprint dimensions:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...fsiflyer12.html

The Orbit was lengthened later . . . maybe by an inch.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I picked up a couple of TA-6070 transitions from Semroc recently with the idea of using them to put my Taurus upscale back into flying shape, but I was able to use the existing transitions. Sitting here tonight, I was trying to come up with the dimensions for an FSI Orbit for cloning purposes, and it occurred to me that I could use the 6070 transitions for a couple of upscales. I still need the tube lengths for the Orbit for a 1:1 clone, but I also need the tube lengths for the FSI Sprint for one of the upscales. Anyone?
(For the record, the other upscale is going to be the Nova, but I have an original, so that's taken care of. )
Looks like Stefan has you covered on the dimensions. I know there's at least one of these out there you might could buy. I had given one, in an unopened bag IIRC, to the late James Gartrell. His favorite rocket was the old Astron Cobra, and I sorta saw the Orbit as a downscale of that, and wanted to pay James back for giving me an original, unbuilt Midget kit. Anyway, I think his estate is selling off much of his collection and this kit might could soon end up on ebay...if you're interested.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Orbit dimensions:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...fsiflyer10.html

Sprint dimensions:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...fsiflyer12.html

The Orbit was lengthened later . . . maybe by an inch.

Yeah, I already found these, but trying to figure out how to do the math was making my blood pressure rise dangerously. Math was never my strong suit, but I got my crayons out and eventually got it. Thanks for the kick in the tail.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 12-06-2011, 10:27 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Looks like Stefan has you covered on the dimensions. I know there's at least one of these out there you might could buy. I had given one, in an unopened bag IIRC, to the late James Gartrell. His favorite rocket was the old Astron Cobra, and I sorta saw the Orbit as a downscale of that, and wanted to pay James back for giving me an original, unbuilt Midget kit. Anyway, I think his estate is selling off much of his collection and this kit might could soon end up on ebay...if you're interested.

Doug

Yeah, I'd love to have that bird, but no way I could ever think about building it with a provenance like that.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 12-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Yeah, I already found these, but trying to figure out how to do the math was making my blood pressure rise dangerously. Math was never my strong suit, but I got my crayons out and eventually got it. Thanks for the kick in the tail.

The trick I found was to wear flip-flops all the time. That way you have easy access to your toes when you run out of fingers to count on.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 12-07-2011, 01:20 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
The trick I found was to wear flip-flops all the time. That way you have easy access to your toes when you run out of fingers to count on.

Even better, I don't wear pants in case it's a fraction.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 12-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Retired Missile Technician

That's what we love about you Bill.

Thinking outside the boxers..............
Old 12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
BP Mafia

Default Progress thus far......

I had planned to be a bit further on this project, but my vacation last night was scotched by a sick co-worker. Motor mount is waiting to be installed and it should be easily flyable by the weekend. Now if I can make a launch in the next few months........
Well, there's always NARAM.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 PM
BP Mafia

No pics for this one........yet. Just before I left for work tonight, I dry-fitted the parts together for the FSI Sprint 2.2x upscale. This one upscales great. It's got that squat, chunky, "looking-for-trouble" look that reminds me of my playground days. I ran out of E engine hooks, so I made it a friction-fit bird. At some point this weekend I need to turn the shop and garage upside down to find my Dremel tool so I can hollow the tube couplers on this and the above-pictured Nova upscale.
Turning the shop and garage upside down. Yeah, really looking forward to that.

I miss being SAM 0058