Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists > WOOSH News
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Entropy Demonstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillandKids
I would like the fb group to go away. As well as the email list.

I agree to an extent... I think the facebook twins are redundant with each other AND the forum, and it can go away. I'm about ready to drop FB at any time, out of security/privacy issues, and for the amount of drivel it bothers me with. In addition, FB lines everything up chronologically, which doesn't always fit our needs. But, I think the email list still has a place and do not wish to lose it. Yes, the forum can email you, and threads are better at keeping thought topics organized, but threads can just as easily get off-topic and/or hijacked. And the potential exists for anyone to read and respond to forum threads, so they can be taken out of context and the potential for drifting off-topic is much higher. Also, they are permanent, so keeping it organized or finding an old reference becomes exponentially more difficult.

The mailing list is a unique tool for several reasons... I tend to leave emails that I need to act on in my inbox as I reminder, emails are "pushed" to me wherever (in the world) I may be, are easier to get and reply to (no signing in required), and it is a private list. The same thread on an email, distributed only to members, can occasionally have an inside joke or poke. The computers in my workplace block internet access, specifically forums, but not my email. I have no problem with the mailing list going off-topic, as that is part of what it is good for... Rocketry, like fine dining, is a communal activity, meant to be shared. I tend to think of them in different settings... the mailing list is a gathering of friends in an informal setting (kegger), while the forum is your High School yearbook (which your mom and/or kids are gonna read). IMHO, a build thread, event schedule, or contest rules would be appropriate for the forum, a question, joke, or time sensitive issue would be better on the mailing list.

"Gravity is a cruel and unpredictable mistress"

Last edited by Sather : 01-03-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 PM
L2 achieved

Being a relatively new member, my comment would be that whatever type or types of communication is decided on that it is accurately described to new members so they can become a part of the group easier. Perhaps it was my own lack of understanding but my first impressions was that Facebook was the means of communication. So I opened a Facebook account. After not seeing any real dialogue, I found out it was this Forum. I signed up and have learned a lot but I havent seen a lot of club dialogue. I then found out it was the e-mail, which I got onto and then was able to hook up with everyone. I just recently found out that there was 2 Facebook pages.

I did like the feedback of Sather, as I also have numerous sites blocked at work. However, I do get the e-mails. It has become something that I look forward to at lunch is to see if there was any club dialogue. Depending on my location ( my employer has 5 facilities that I go between) I may stop at home and hop on to the Forum page.

Looking forward to the launches this month and the first meeting of the year.

Russ Westergaard
Old 01-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Entropy Demonstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Being a relatively new member, my comment would be that whatever type or types of communication is decided on that it is accurately described to new members so they can become a part of the group easier.

That is a GREAT idea, Russ. Thank you. While there is a wealth of knowledge in the WOOSH pool, it is not always readily available, or apparent where to find it. For example, my first WOOSH event was at Bong, so I didn't know the sod field was BYO pad. (Fred was kind enough to take me under his wing and share his controller that day. ) I will put together a one-page "Welcome Wagon" info sheet to give new members, to be included when they get their membership card... lines of communication, contact info, general big picture stuff. Any ideas for other things to be included?

P.S. This thread has now officially gone off-topic. But that's okay... ALL conversations do. It is just more obvious when they are written down vs spoken.

cheers. Sather

"Gravity is a cruel and unpredictable mistress"