Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 09:01 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Don't confuse us with facts..
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 01-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Master Modeler

Mid and high power has never been for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
If Estes' composite F motors are indeed $29 apiece, the only way I *might* buy -one- of the motors would be as a collector's item--because at that price, I think they would soon become collectible...
Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

They're not even out yet and they are already 35% off to end users.

So much for brick and mortar.

BTW that link states, "F26-6 Engine Pro Series II HAZ (est9772) Estes Model Rocket Rocket Engine Reloadable - Medium"

I doubt it is reloadable.

Jerry
Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 AM
Craftsman

At least the big boy's brick and mortar will be saved. Why at $25 with my 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon I will run right in and buy em up . . . at $15.00 per shoot . . . a NO THANKS!

After a long time I finally went to the LHS last week and looked at all the retail Estes kits and none of them followed me home. What is happening to me? I must be sick. I have a fever and the only cure is . . . once a year on line Christmas sales?

Last edited by Daddyisabar : 02-01-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Gentleman Rocketeer

Default Welll we still don't know...marlow steam

as far as i'm concerned any vendor in any market venue is so welcome in a niche hobby such as ours!...support and fellowship make the hobby work
Old 01-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyisabar
At least the big boy's brick and mortar will be saved. Why at $29 with my 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon I will run right in and buy em up . . . at $17.40 per shoot . . . a NO THANKS!

After a long time I finally went to the LHS last week and looked at all the retail Estes kits and none of them followed me home. What is happening to me? I must be sick. I have a fever and the only cure is . . . once a year on line Christmas sales?
I agree. Engaging in our hobby can be compared to salt water fishing or fresh water (lake) fishing from a boat. If you start thinking about what the cost per pound of the fish come(s) to (taking into account the costs of the boat, its fuel, its license, the fuel for the vehicle that tows the boat to the marina or lake, the fishing license, etc.), it can quickly ruin one's enjoyment of the experience. (For outsiders who fly up here to Alaska to hunt moose and bears, the cost per pound of the meat and/or skin is almost astronomical--but we're glad that they spend their money here all the same...) Also:

Likewise, when rocket motors (and to a lesser extent, rocket kits) exceed a certain price, it is very hard to *not* think about how many dollars per -second- that one is paying for the experience of watching a model rocket fly. At least the cost of an expensive kit can (with care and a little luck) be spread out over many flights, but not the cost of an expensive single-use motor. Everyone has his or her own "not enjoyed beyond--" price, but even $10 per motor is beyond the point where--even though I *can* afford more expensive motors--literally burning that amount of money in just a few seconds is no longer enjoyable.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 PM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Using online inflation calculators, I determined that the Enerjet F52-x that sold for $5.00 in 1972 would sell for 26.91 today.

Having said that: a retail of $24.99 isn't really so bad.

On the otherhand, $5.00 was what I got for mowing a lawn in 1972, and bagging the clippings.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Old BAR

Well, Jeffery, I'd have to disagree: $100 for 4 F engines is just stupid. The price on Hobbylinc is better, but I still think even that is a bit high. IMHO of course!

Allen
Old 01-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Well, Jeffery, I'd have to disagree: $100 for 4 F engines is just stupid. The price on Hobbylinc is better, but I still think even that is a bit high. IMHO of course!
For that kind of money, I'd want at least "stars and a report." :-)

Seriously, though, a friend of mine even makes such outlay vs. enjoyment calculations for the ammunition he uses (he shoots mostly .22 long rifle and occasionally .25 pistol ammo), even though he is not poor and has guns that shoot 7.62 mm and 9 mm cartridges, as well as a 12 gauge shotgun. I recently found a local vendor that sells .22 short cartridges for what comes to ~9 cents per round, and he has looked into finding a pistol that shoots them--as he puts it, "Collecting guns is an investment; shooting is a luxury."
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The Aerotech Valuerockets.com pricing for the E30 and E15 was exactly the same at $20.99 until that ******* Estes $59.99/3 E30's price came out. THAT is what really ticks me off. Because Estes is now relabeling them under their brand as well, we are expected to bend over and take it if we now want E30's.
The acronym BOHICA fits well here !

Estes should just stick to what they know, BP SU motors, and actually bring back the motors we are ASKING for like the FARGIN' B14 !!!!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !