Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Master Modeler

Still haven't gotten to the pictures....but I will.

We flew the NAR A boost glider event. The AMA rocket-powered glider events are for Jetex motors (and their equivalents), not for anything more energetic.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Free Flight Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

We flew the NAR A boost glider event. The AMA rocket-powered glider events are for Jetex motors (and their equivalents), not for anything more energetic.

In my 15+ years of competitive Free flight participation I've seen one Jetex flight. Very smoky and slow!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:36 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmc
We used the NAR rules. Which AMA rules are you referring to? Freeflight or RC? Those for Hand Launch Glider or Catapult glider?

Derek McGuckin
Tri-Cities Rocketeers
I was referring to the AMA contest rules for Hand Launch Gliders (see: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com...rules_print.htm ). Also, John Kaufmann's classic 1974 book "Flying Hand-Launched Gliders" (which is available from AbeBooks.com www.abebooks.com ) covers both the AMA and German contest rules for Hand Launch Gliders, both of which could be used for boost-glider contests in order to help attract model airplane folks to model rocketry. As he wrote in the book:

"The A.M.A. contest rules for hand-launched gliders allow a total of six flights, with each flight limited to a maximum, or max, of two minutes. From the six flights, the three longest flight times are added together to give the flier's score. If the flier should make three maxes, giving him a total of six minutes, he is then allowed to make fly-off flights of two minutes until he fails to get a max. Fly-off flights are used to break tie scores in case two or more fliers "max out" with three two-minute flights." [Also, regarding the German rules:]

"Another type of contest uses the German rules. This system calls for a total of the best six out of ten flights, with a one-minute max time. Three- or four-man teams fly together for a total team score. The German rules place greater emphasis on consistent performance. In addition, the one-minute max permits using smaller flying fields, a very important point in built-up areas where open land is hard to find." [In addition, regarding postal contests:]

"There are international contests for hand-launched gliders in which teams of fliers from all around the world compete. They are called postals because the teams fly at their local fields on any day during a given month and mail their scores to the club sponsoring the contest. The teams are then notified about the results. International postals use the German rules. Postals are also conducted by American clubs for individual fliers using the A.M.A. rules..." [Below is information on possibly obtaining re-prints of this book:]

Mr. Kaufmann's book "Flying Hand-Launched Gliders" was re-printed by the NFFS (National Free Flight Society, see: www.freeflight.org ) and (as late as 2009) was available from them for $13 plus $5 for postage (with payment by money order, cash, or bank draft with a US bank). I don't see it listed in the NFFS book section now, but they may offer it again in the future. The NFFS's postal address is:

NFFS Publications Services
%Bob Stalick
PO Box 1775
Albany, OR 97321

I hope this information will be helpful.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 04-26-2012 at 03:55 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Free Flight Rocketeer

Current Hand Launch gliders are mostly Tip launch designs that wouldn't work very well for rocket boost. Catapult Gliders are a natural crossover. I'm in the process of building a couple rocket boost versions.

The AMA FF Glider rules for flying, the use of a 2 minute max, or 90 seconds for catapult glider would be an entertaining way to run a Boost glider contest.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Flying since 1977

NAR rules for BG and RG allow a multi-round option with a 120 second max for three rounds. FAI rules use a 180 second max for each round.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:

So, did you have to go out and buy a new camera or something! Looking forward to a picture.

John Boren

Old 05-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
So, did you have to go out and buy a new camera or something! Looking forward to a picture.

John Boren

No - but time, light and the Tercel together....yes.

Here she is laying on my shade canopy at Dayton, WA on Sunday.

And before anyone asks - that's just Rustoleum fluorescent paint lightly sprayed on right over bare wood or paper, except for the nose cone (which is plastic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Tercel_smaller.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  142.2 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
No - but time, light and the Tercel together....yes.

Here she is laying on my shade canopy at Dayton, WA on Sunday.
So you're into the "Jaclyn Klugman" thing (in reference to the Thoroughbred racehorse colt who was given a filly's name), since a Tercel is a male hawk or Falcon? :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
And before anyone asks - that's just Rustoleum fluorescent paint lightly sprayed on right over bare wood or paper, except for the nose cone (which is plastic).
Yep, that's the way to paint a B/G or an RG...*just* enough paint to color its surfaces--a pretty bird!
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
... since a Tercel is a male hawk or Falcon?

Oooooops!
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Master Modeler

So has anyone else build and fly a Tercel Glider?

John Boren