Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Master Blaster

Default How many issues of the 1967 Centuri catalog are there ?

Question; how many different releases of the 1967 Centuri catalog are their?

I have one that has glossy pages and one that has mat finished pages, and some of the pages have different pictures and prices? I would say the one with the glossy pages is from
early in the year and the other from the end of the year, because some of the prices are higher.
I don't know a lot about the variations of these Centuri catalogs , I am just glad to have these catalogs, as I sent for my very first catalog late in 1966 and the 1967 catalog was the very first one that I owned.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Rocket Powered Preacher

I want to thank everyone for the info they gave me and especially want to thank JohnNGA and Carl McLawhorn.

I built my clone, it flew great on an A3-4 and it even took 3rd in the DARS Fall Classic P57 competition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Mk-1-f1c.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  238.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mk-1-f1d.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  449.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mk-1-f1i.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  340.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mk-1-f1za.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  253.9 KB  
TRA 03040, L1 8 March 2008
Photos of the "Fleet": http://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/

I used to tell Mom, "...I want to fly rockets when I grow up!"

She said, "Make up your mind, you can't do both!"
Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default harsas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL3
I want to thank everyone for the info they gave me and especially want to thank JohnNGA and Carl McLawhorn.

I built my clone, it flew great on an A3-4 and it even took 3rd in the DARS Fall Classic P57 competition.

Changing subject---to all who know, harsas is in hospital,,,spread word, offer prayers. dan
Old 10-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL3

Every time I see the Mark 1 in flight, I am left in awe that rocket pretty much started it all. Again, great job and more than welcome.

Last edited by JohnNGA : 10-21-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Fantastic info!

I just joined this group looking to find some detailed information on the Carlile mk. 1. It seems like most of what I was looking for has already been covered here. I am flat out amazed at the knowlege of this group, and at your willingness to share that knowlege. I think I am going to like hanging out around here!

Still have a few questions about Carlile mk. 1, though. Are there any records of how many mk. 1s were sold? Any idea of how many still exist?

The pics with this thread are incredible. I have been looking for some of this material for many years. Thanks to all who have posted pics and information here!

By any chance, would anyone here have a picture of the lable for the old Carlile hand made engines? Or the dimensions of the engine? I have been trying to find that forever too.

I remember that the fins were paste-board. Do I remember correctly that the nose-cone was cardboard too? Would appreciate any information about the mk. 1 nosecone.

Thank again to all,

Fireman
Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Craftsman

Welcome, You will find great people here, all more then willing to share 'years' of rocketry know-how. I don't believe the Mark 1 was ever put on the market, there is one in the Smithsonian. If you will go to the Air and Space Museum site and search Orville Carlisle it should pull up a motor label with dimensions. John
Old 11-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks for the tip. I will go and look up the AandSM site and try to find it...

Would still love to know how many of these originals were made and any other construction details about them.

Anyone know if the Smithsonian mk. 1 is the only surviving model, or if there are any others around?

Thanks,

the Fireman
Old 11-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Carlisle rockets photo

Oh, I also wanted to thank you for the link in mssg 17 above. That is a fantastic picture of Mrs. Carlisle and the rockets. Is the younger woman in the photo a daughter or other relative?
Do you have any idea when this photo would have been taken?

the Fireman
Old 11-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Craftsman

Wow!!...you were involved in the early days, awesome. I didn't start until '62. Don't know much about the photo, I believe it was with a newspaper article. The last Mark 1 I built, I made a cardstock nose cone with a sleeve that slides over the body tube. The patent for the Mk1 shows that type of mounting (I think). You need to go to Quest Model Rockets, they have a museum page with old photos, might recognize someone.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I am on myway to Quest right now.

By the way, i did find that pic of the Carlisle motor. The data gives the measurements as 1/2" x 3 3/8" (1.3 x 8.57cm.)