Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 03:23 PM
BP Mafia

Default Upscale FSI Voyager

This one is BT-70 based and almost an all Semroc bird. (I had a FlisKits BT-70 baffle that worked well as a coupler.) I'm still cutting the fins, but I realized something the other day that y'all might find interesting. As I said, I ordered all of the parts from Semroc, but paid slightly less attention than I should have while ordering. Everything was fine until I got to the centering rings. I didn't notice that there were two types of 5070 centering rings, one a single, one a double. I wanted the single, but got the double.
Then I got to thinking about it. I was going to make it an E9 bird, but a 2xD12 bird would also be pretty cool, and something I haven't done. So, this BT-70 bird is going to be 2x24mmpowered. Should be cool leaving the pad.
I'll try to have pics later. I still have two weeks to finish this, but I'm going to try to have it flyable by next weekend.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
This one is BT-70 based and almost an all Semroc bird. (I had a FlisKits BT-70 baffle that worked well as a coupler.) I'm still cutting the fins, but I realized something the other day that y'all might find interesting. As I said, I ordered all of the parts from Semroc, but paid slightly less attention than I should have while ordering. Everything was fine until I got to the centering rings. I didn't notice that there were two types of 5070 centering rings, one a single, one a double. I wanted the single, but got the double.
Then I got to thinking about it. I was going to make it an E9 bird, but a 2xD12 bird would also be pretty cool, and something I haven't done. So, this BT-70 bird is going to be 2x24mmpowered. Should be cool leaving the pad.
I'll try to have pics later. I still have two weeks to finish this, but I'm going to try to have it flyable by next weekend.

This sounds really cool Bill ...

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 04-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Sounds great don't forget pic's. Also how about dual E9's
Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Flying since 1977

I'll second the dual E9s.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by duobob
Sounds great don't forget pic's. Also how about dual E9's

Thought about it, but I think the D12s should be plenty of smoke and flame for me. I finished the motor mount tonight and got the fins cut out of 1/8" balsa. From here it should go pretty quickly, being just a 3fnc rocket, albeit a pretty bulky one.

I miss being SAM 0058

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 04-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Master Modeler

The Voyager is one of the lesser-cloned FSI birds. I'd like to make one someday. Maybe with a 1.25" OD tube. They're sturdy!

I'd always put in the option for single motors. Is it too late to make the mount swappable.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The Voyager is one of the lesser-cloned FSI birds. I'd like to make one someday. Maybe with a 1.25" OD tube. They're sturdy!

I'd always put in the option for single motors. Is it too late to make the mount swappable.

No, it's not in yet, but I'm not sure I know how to go about making a swappable mount.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Master Modeler

There are a few ways.

Semroc has a fancy swappable -mount system that uses tab-through-the-wall fins and centering rings with notches. You can buy the ring sets for some tubes . . . not sure about BT-70. Sheryl or Carl might be able to help.

For my Viking II upscale, I made three or four mounts. 24mm, 29mm, 3 x 24mm and I think 2 x 24mm. Each has two centering rings with a coupler in between. I doped the rings and coupler with Minwax Wood Hardener and then sanded, sanded, sanded until they could smoothly slide in and out of the rear of the body tube.

I put in a metal clip similar to a engine hook. I nestles under the curve of one of the tube fins. It keeps the swappable motor mounts from popping out. There's a centerng ring up inside that prevents the mount from sliding forward whiel the motor(s) are burning.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Bill,

Build with the longer motor tubes. The E12 motors are on their way. Perhaps you will get a chance to fly the upscale at a larger field.

I and others were given an E12 motor at NARCON by John Boren. He also graciously donated his display kits to the door prize give-aways and auction.

Didn't get to fly the E12 yesterday due to the wind and the fact that we spent a couple of hours trying to locate some models in a grain field. My H242 flight was recovered from a tree.

Chas
Old 04-23-2012, 06:11 PM
BP Mafia

Well, the dry fit is pretty much finished. Only the motor mount is keeping this from being flight ready. I think I'm just going to go with the D & C mount. Most of my FSI upscales have E capability already, so this one can be different.

Parts layout with fin pattern.

Dry fit awaiting motor mount. D12 for scale.

I miss being SAM 0058