Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Ok, JD...was right there with you in agreement until I saw you were purchasing a POS toyota ANYTHING....THAT is the sort of thing that causes ME to hold a GRUDGE for almost forever. Before anyone asks, an American car is one produced by a company HEADQUARTERED in the USA that has the profit from their international operations funneled into the USA to become part of the USA money-multiplier, not Japan.

Seems that it is very common for both coasts of the USA to purchase a LOT of POS far east imports...and yes they are POS.
If I HAD to buy an import it would certainly come from selected brands HQ'd in Germany or Italy and the junk-heap brands of Wolkswagen and Fiat need not EVER apply....

GH,

I have to ... my KIA Sedona mini-Van is costing me almost $500 a month in gas. Remember, we are over 100 degrees now and it can kill ya!

Its running me around $65.00 a fill up and with the A/C I am filling up twice a week ...

I am sorry, I am giving myself to the 'Green Side'.

Trust me , I love torque and power ... NEITHER are found in a Prius!

Jeff Dunham makes fun of people who drive the Prius ... even himself.

Maybe people will mistake me for being a 'Hollywood Elite' type when they see me in my Prius V!!!

Jonathan
Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I put any KIA in that same POS class as well and I don't care where it is built...I care where the company is HQ'd.
I won't EVER buy any car made in the far east, and won't buy any USA built motorcycles (over priced Hardly-Movingson MORON cycles are not worth HALF of what they charge for them) either.

My idea of good quality transportation consists of 3 Vehicles:

1) Corvette ZR1 or Z06 (A Porsche 911 TURBO-only would be acceptable as well)
2) Suzuki Hayabusa
3) Cadillac CTS-V sedan when you just have to have more than two in the car or if you need to tow something.

If those choices won't haul the family, the family is TOO FREAKIN BIG. If you need to tow something heavier/haul bigger items than the capacity of the CTS, RENT A FARGIN TRUCK.

The most green vehicle I have EVER owned is my HHR SS Turbo...I also have a Z28 with a LT1 based 383 and a Cadillac STS. Will probably trade the STS and HHR in next spring for a Corvette. If it won't fit in the Vette, it's too big.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I put any KIA in that same POS class as well and I don't care where it is built...I care where the company is HQ'd.
I won't EVER buy any car made in the far east, and won't buy any USA built motorcycles (over priced Hardly-Movingson MORON cycles are not worth HALF of what they charge for them) either.

My idea of good quality transportation consists of 3 Vehicles:

1) Corvette ZR1 or Z06 (A Porsche 911 TURBO-only would be acceptable as well)
2) Suzuki Hayabusa
3) Cadillac CTS-V sedan when you just have to have more than two in the car or if you need to tow something.

If those choices won't haul the family, the family is TOO FREAKIN BIG. If you need to tow something heavier/haul bigger items than the capacity of the CTS, RENT A FARGIN TRUCK.

The most green vehicle I have EVER owned is my HHR SS Turbo...I also have a Z28 with a LT1 based 383 and a Cadillac STS. Will probably trade the STS and HHR in next spring for a Corvette. If it won't fit in the Vette, it's too big.

Agreed.

But you do realize that the Prius is made right here in America; Tennessee ... and I am just trying to do my part to give Americans jobs and to save the environment

J
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Addicted Collector.. now Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Gerry, et al.,

One more thing and this is just a word of advise, take it how ever you see fit:

I have learned the HARD way that bidding against people, especially hard core collectors, can lead to bitterness, pettiness , and worse.

Its best not to advertise what you win and/or by how much.

Take home message: don't publicly announce you outbid someone or won something that other people had their hearts set on winning. This collecting stuff gets VERY personal with people. Me? I don't give a crap. I am dealing with the purchase of a TOYOTA (thanks Gordy) Prius V and I want to just buy it or place as much down as I can, so money is very tight and I am not interested in getting any new rockets ... been buying way too much off of Hobby King of late, so that is my other bane.

Its just best to collect and enjoy what you have in a personal quiet manner

Jonathan

Jonathan....Ok, thanks for the advice. Understand the point as I've seen similar rude behaviors among die hard Liberty Seated Dime variety collectors on eBay or PCGS collector forum. To bad that collectors take the hobby to such a serious level as we don't take these items to our grave. We are simply caretakers!

Personally, I'm long term focused and if there is not much going on with Estes rocket kits, then I shift back into Liberty Seated dimes for awhile. Maintaining and advancing both reference websites takes a lot of work while still working full time in semiconductor business.

My bottomline: I seek reference information more than the satisfaction of owning stuff. I believe that the K16 Delta skill level kit assessment was correct and was testing the waters on YORF as a check.

As for cars....

I own mint red 1993 Mazda Miata, 2005 Toyota Tacoma and 2008 Rav4. Only problem with Mazda has been a leaky power steering system over the years. Japanese are masters of quality manufacturing, while US is the center of design innovation along with the Germans until the hybrid platform appeared. Who makes the best cars in the word, simple answer; go look at which companies continue to invest in Formula 1 racing.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Craftsman

My cars are AMERICAN, my motorcycles are British and Italian, and my tools are heavy cast iron Made in USA. I imagine my next "new car" will be a 48 Plymouth with a early 90's dodge ram running gear. To much bs in cars today. I know how to parallel park, Iknow how to turn around, I do NOT need to talk to someone or be hooked up to the social network 24/7, I know when it is time to change oil and check belts. I have a celulose encased optical navigation guide,(map), so I do not need my car to tell me where to go. I do not fear technology but all those gizmos are NOT needed if you have a brain. AND AND all that stuff brakes down and cost real money to fix. I put to many miles on a vehicle to buy something that is going to cost a fortune in maintance. That 3000-3500.00 battery in that hybrid that will probably need replacing every 100,000-120,000 miles, expensive drive motor and controler. Ford has their new eco boost I think that is what they call their dirrect injection motors. Buy a set of those injectors and have them replaced on a maintance schedule. Yea they are a little more efficent but when you look at the long run ,how cheap is it. What happened to good ol yankee know how? sell outs and corperate raiders..................
Old 05-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Craftsman

Default and...........

And what I started to say before my fit of old fart americanism...........Congrrats on the Delta. I had been watching it but it was out of my price range pretty much since opening. I just wanted one to build to put my old camroc on. I can get by with a clone for that.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

Carbon,

I did a test a few days ago because I was talking with another person on another site about 'Made in America'.

I looked around my kitchen and living room and discovered that over 95% of the items in the rooms were made in China.

Then I thought, well the broom has to be made in America ... come on, its only a broom! Well the broom was made in Mexico.

The only things that were made in America and in my kitchen and living room were old items that I are considered collectibles; A few Marx Dolls that I have, old model airplane kits from the 1960's, and a Fender Stratocaster from the early 1980's (before Fender started having their guitars made over seas).

Bottom line is that , we hardly make anything anymore in the United States. I would really hate to be a person in America who is dependent upon manufacturing here in America.

On another note, Australia and New Zealand are lobbying hard for qualified people to immigrate from the U.S. to their countries.

IT is HUGE in New Zealand. They will guarantee a $60+K/year job, housing, and medical to get people to move there.

Australia just had a big job fair down in Texas where they are trying to get Americans who have skills in coal, mining and oil to related to their nation.

Not trying to hijack the thread ... if you want to talk more about this, please open a new thread down in the 'Free for all' area and we can discuss further

Sorry Gerry.

Jonathan
Old 05-25-2012, 01:34 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Heard on NPR where in Australia they are also trying to recruit qualified Boilermakers...not engineers, but the ones that build and weld them together...for about $300,000.00 a year ! No joke. They value those guys at ten times the value of a lawyer or banker (that produce NOTHING) which makes GOOD sense to me. The only thing a bigger ripoff than banking or lawyer fees is the insurance industry which is a ripoff 99.9% of the time. Insurance for ANYTHING including car insurance should be OPTIONAL and NEVER mandatory. If a state is going to mandate one has car insurance, they should provide it at zero profit....If forced to have something one should NEVER be forced into purchasing it from a profit driven entity. About the only good thing I can see regarding in the whole "Health Care Reform" issue is if all insurance gets turned into a non-profit industry.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Heard on NPR where in Australia they are also trying to recruit qualified Boilermakers...not engineers, but the ones that build and weld them together...for about $300,000.00 a year ! No joke. They value those guys at ten times the value of a lawyer or banker (that produce NOTHING) which makes GOOD sense to me. The only thing a bigger ripoff than banking or lawyer fees is the insurance industry which is a ripoff 99.9% of the time. Insurance for ANYTHING including car insurance should be OPTIONAL and NEVER mandatory. If a state is going to mandate one has car insurance, they should provide it at zero profit....If forced to have something one should NEVER be forced into purchasing it from a profit driven entity. About the only good thing I can see regarding in the whole "Health Care Reform" issue is if all insurance gets turned into a non-profit industry.

I have thought about living in New Zealand... I have friends from college who moved there over 10 years ago. The population is VERY low and the country is VERY beautiful, well to me it is. Lord of the Rings was filmed in New Zealand.

The indigenous population look like me; sortta, so I would fit in on that level. The next 3 - 5 years will determine if I stay or if I go.

Jonathan