Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2006, 06:19 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Steve, please refer to this post and the "Happy Birthday, Bill!" thread it is part of for more Go-Go Gophers info:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...11558#post11558

I must have missed the reference to the Gophers in that thread ..... and thanks so much John for getting that song stuck in my head again!

I miss those old cartoon shows.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-20-2006, 10:43 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I must have missed the reference to the Gophers in that thread ..... and thanks so much John for getting that song stuck in my head again!

I miss those old cartoon shows.

You're welcome, I'm happy to be of service!
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:02 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
It's an extremely nice kit, and I'm amazed at how easy it seems to be going together. Tonights mission was to install the engine mount, which seems to have gone off without a hitch, and construct the bulkhead, which also seems to have been successful. I'll start on the fins tomorrow evening while Maria and Sarah are at CCD.
Maria doesn't mind the occasional rocket display, as long as I leave no globs of epoxy on the furniture and clean up my toys when real people visit.
And the Injun is from "Go-Go Gophers". "Him say 'Hoopy doopy.'"

Hey Bill, You fly em' big HAWK rocket yet Hoopy Doopy?

I noticed a post on Rocketry Planet about another new Madcow Rocketry kit, the Sensor

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/878/28/

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 10-24-2006, 09:20 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Hey Bill, You fly em' big HAWK rocket yet Hoopy Doopy?

I noticed a post on Rocketry Planet about another new Madcow Rocketry kit, the Sensor

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/878/28/

Nope. I was all set to fly on Sunday, but they cancelled our launch due to high winds. The good news is that Cross Country is over after this week, so I'll be able to fly on Saturdays again.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 10-24-2006, 09:53 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Nope. I was all set to fly on Sunday, but they cancelled our launch due to high winds. The good news is that Cross Country is over after this week, so I'll be able to fly on Saturdays again.

Cool

I'm hoping to get a couple of flights in with the NAR section in Baton Rouge this coming Saturday myself. I hope to get my Semroc Lil' Hustler in the air for it's first flight.

I'm looking forward to your flight on the HAWK and your review. The Madcow kits appear to be really nice and have a lot of standard features. It looks like they currently have nine kits in their line and some interesting designs.

SAM# 0052

Old 10-24-2006, 10:21 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Cool

I'm hoping to get a couple of flights in with the NAR section in Baton Rouge this coming Saturday myself. I hope to get my Semroc Lil' Hustler in the air for it's first flight.

I'm looking forward to your flight on the HAWK and your review. The Madcow kits appear to be really nice and have a lot of standard features. It looks like they currently have nine kits in their line and some interesting designs.

I don't have a lot of experience with mid-power, but this kit strikes me as first rate. I had problems, but all of my own making. One of the fillets never cured, and I eventually had to wipe it out and start over. Epoxy makes me nervous. It seems so final.... I can't wait to fly it. I was bummed all day on Sunday.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 11-05-2006, 09:36 PM
BP Mafia

Finally flew this beast today, but I won't get to post the pics until tomorrow. Having only flown two F motors in the past, one in 2001, the other in 2002, I was pretty nervous during prep, but one of my fellow Quark members kept an eye on things to keep me from botching a step. The flight was fast and flawless on the G38-7 Blackjack motor, and I got a killer launch shot. Plenty of smoke and flame. The rocket rolled slightly as it ascended, then arced over and headed straight down. Being my first really large mid-power, I built heavy, so the ballistic flight path didn't concern me. By my count the delay was perfect and the rocket recovered about 100 yards into the brush, nicely draped along the ground with the U.S. ARMY decal displayed proudly. Very cool. The only damage was a slight nick in the nose cone, but that could have happened on the trip to the field. I didn't fly anything else because of the wind, but I treated myself to a victor's dinner of Popeye's Chicken afterwards. (I was too nervous to eat before the flight.) Now all that's left is the review, which will be great despite all my efforts to screw the project up. (Apparently I build fat rockets. The sim on this showed 1137'. I can't imagine that it got close. )
On second thought, I'll do the pics today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MadCow Hawk ignition on a G38-7.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  326.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Madcow U.S. Army Hawk glamour shot.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  366.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MadCow Hawk lift-off.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  328.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MadCow Hawk in weeds.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  370.4 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 11-06-2006 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:38 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
On second thought, I'll do the pics today.

Bill,

Your HAWK rocket really looks nice! Great shot of the G38 launch too.

That 1,137' altitude sounds realistic for a G38 in that rocket. I had a Loc Lil' Nuke that I added a small payload section and an altimeter to and less the motor it weighed in at 20.5 oz, all built with 5min epoxy. I know it had a lot less fin area than your HAWK and was probably a few ounces lighter but my Lil' Nuke usually turned in flights of around 1,500 feet with that same G38-7FJ motor.

There were some other reviews on EMRR's last update for two of the Madcow Rocketry kits and these look like really well designed kits.

Congrats on your successful flight and recovery!

SAM# 0052

Old 11-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Dazed and Confused

Here's something to go with your big boy project.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:23 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Here's something to go with your big boy project.

I miss being SAM 0058