Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-27-2012, 03:45 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 6,819
Default Help with rocket ID

This is a minimum diameter 18mm bird, 14.125" long, streamer recovered, with spin fins. No identifying marks other than a piece of tape that says "Sound Barrier Backup". It was an Ebay bird and I'm trying to find out if it was a commercially available kit, or if it was just a bird tossed together for max altitude and duration.





__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I was SAM 0058

On the build floor: Estes R2D2, Centuri Stellar Starlifter, Centuri Stellar Loadlifter, Semroc Squire, LOC Hi-Tech Mini, FRW Magnum Spartan

Ready to fly: Enerjet 1340/20 Sounding Rocket, Estes Super Neon XL, Estes Astron Farside X, FSI Eos
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-27-2012, 06:01 PM
snaquin's Avatar
snaquin snaquin is offline
The_Ripper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
This is a minimum diameter 18mm bird, 14.125" long, streamer recovered, with spin fins. No identifying marks other than a piece of tape that says "Sound Barrier Backup". It was an Ebay bird and I'm trying to find out if it was a commercially available kit, or if it was just a bird tossed together for max altitude and duration.


Bill,

I flew some CMR kits back in the 70's. That looks like the upper stage of the two stage CMR Hyper rocket that I had back then that was a payload model and had thin plywood fins. Are the fins on your model plywood?

Give the nose cone a little squeeze and see it it's that really lightweight plastic that CMR used and that's probably it. Pull the nose cone out and does the shoulder have a small pinhole in the center to attach a thread for attachment to the shock cord?

I flew mine with the pop lug and even on 1/2A and A motors in both stages it would fly completely out of sight until ejection. I only recovered it because I used full length 10 foot CMR mylar streamers for recovery.



.
__________________
Steve Naquin
TRA# 677 L2
NAR# 85518 L2
SAM# 0052
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-27-2012, 07:48 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 6,819
Default

Thanks, Steve. I looked through the catalogs on Ninfinger last night and found a couple that were close to what I was looking for, but they seemed to be just a little off. I never considered the possibility that it was originally a two-stager. The lightweight nose cone would definitely seem to point to a CMR bird, and was something I meant to mention in the description. It's very light and connected to the shock cord by a string through the bottom of the cone.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I was SAM 0058

On the build floor: Estes R2D2, Centuri Stellar Starlifter, Centuri Stellar Loadlifter, Semroc Squire, LOC Hi-Tech Mini, FRW Magnum Spartan

Ready to fly: Enerjet 1340/20 Sounding Rocket, Estes Super Neon XL, Estes Astron Farside X, FSI Eos
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 PM
snaquin's Avatar
snaquin snaquin is offline
The_Ripper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Thanks, Steve. I looked through the catalogs on Ninfinger last night and found a couple that were close to what I was looking for, but they seemed to be just a little off. I never considered the possibility that it was originally a two-stager. The lightweight nose cone would definitely seem to point to a CMR bird, and was something I meant to mention in the description. It's very light and connected to the shock cord by a string through the bottom of the cone.


I just noticed Scott has the plans for it you may be able to compare with some of the dimensions here

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/cmr/cmrC2/cmrC2.htm

The bottom stage was 3" so that would put your upper stage length about where you referenced.

I had the ELO and the EFFY too. CMR used that fin design a lot but the nose cones in CMR kits were quite unique in design and shape. I botched a couple using too much glue they were so thin they would melt when joining the shoulder to the cone. I have a picture of the upper stage of my ELO in an old pic from 1978.

Nice find by the way ..... although I'd be inclined to snap the fins off and glue them on straight!



.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01Rockets in closet 1978.pdf (95.5 KB, 80 views)
__________________
Steve Naquin
TRA# 677 L2
NAR# 85518 L2
SAM# 0052
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM
John Brohm's Avatar
John Brohm John Brohm is offline
NAR #78048
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mars, PA
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
...

Nice find by the way ..... although I'd be inclined to snap the fins off and glue them on straight!



.


I'm stumped as to what it might be, but I must say those fins look like they were intended to be canted. In this configuration they would definitely spin the rocket.
__________________
John
SAM #004
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 6,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I just noticed Scott has the plans for it you may be able to compare with some of the dimensions here

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/cmr/cmrC2/cmrC2.htm

The bottom stage was 3" so that would put your upper stage length about where you referenced.

I had the ELO and the EFFY too. CMR used that fin design a lot but the nose cones in CMR kits were quite unique in design and shape. I botched a couple using too much glue they were so thin they would melt when joining the shoulder to the cone. I have a picture of the upper stage of my ELO in an old pic from 1978.

Nice find by the way ..... although I'd be inclined to snap the fins off and glue them on straight!



.

This one doesn't have the payload section mentioned in the instructions, but it mentions that it can be flown without one. The lack of a pop lug setup has me wondering, though. As for the fins, I like them in this setup. They should cut down on the altitude a bit and make it flyable at B6-4 Field on a 1/2A. This weekend is shot because of the Big Top Festival, but I can welcome October in the right way next weekend.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I was SAM 0058

On the build floor: Estes R2D2, Centuri Stellar Starlifter, Centuri Stellar Loadlifter, Semroc Squire, LOC Hi-Tech Mini, FRW Magnum Spartan

Ready to fly: Enerjet 1340/20 Sounding Rocket, Estes Super Neon XL, Estes Astron Farside X, FSI Eos
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 6,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
I'm stumped as to what it might be, but I must say those fins look like they were intended to be canted. In this configuration they would definitely spin the rocket.

Hopefully better than my recently completed Spin Fin clone. That one was gone so fast I couldn't tell if it spun or not.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I was SAM 0058

On the build floor: Estes R2D2, Centuri Stellar Starlifter, Centuri Stellar Loadlifter, Semroc Squire, LOC Hi-Tech Mini, FRW Magnum Spartan

Ready to fly: Enerjet 1340/20 Sounding Rocket, Estes Super Neon XL, Estes Astron Farside X, FSI Eos
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 6,819
Default

After poring over the CMR catalog at Ninfinger, I've decided that what I have is a CMR Effy. What threw me was the catalog description, "High efficiency single-stage starter kit with all the features of the regular kits except the "pop" launch lug." I read it wrong and thought that it said that it included the "pop" lug. It's listed at 15" in length, while my rocket is 14"+. Not sure how closely the tolerances were followed at CMR, but I know that FSI stats varied from one kit to another.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I was SAM 0058

On the build floor: Estes R2D2, Centuri Stellar Starlifter, Centuri Stellar Loadlifter, Semroc Squire, LOC Hi-Tech Mini, FRW Magnum Spartan

Ready to fly: Enerjet 1340/20 Sounding Rocket, Estes Super Neon XL, Estes Astron Farside X, FSI Eos
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM
snaquin's Avatar
snaquin snaquin is offline
The_Ripper
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,440
Default

Bill it does look a lot like the EFFY. I had one of those too I just don't have pictures of that model in particular.

I do remember losing the EFFY after just one or two flights. I had painted mine all red but it flew so high even with a mylar streamer it drifted away .....



.
__________________
Steve Naquin
TRA# 677 L2
NAR# 85518 L2
SAM# 0052
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 6,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Bill it does look a lot like the EFFY. I had one of those too I just don't have pictures of that model in particular.

I do remember losing the EFFY after just one or two flights. I had painted mine all red but it flew so high even with a mylar streamer it drifted away .....



.

I'm thinking 1/2A to start. I doubt that the field will be big enough to try an A8.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I was SAM 0058

On the build floor: Estes R2D2, Centuri Stellar Starlifter, Centuri Stellar Loadlifter, Semroc Squire, LOC Hi-Tech Mini, FRW Magnum Spartan

Ready to fly: Enerjet 1340/20 Sounding Rocket, Estes Super Neon XL, Estes Astron Farside X, FSI Eos
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018