Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Lee Prieser and Vern Estes having a sword fight with Saturn V's.
I had a drink with Vern Estes, Lee Piester, Lonnie Reese and Harry Stine at NARWIN-1. These folks were friendly with each other and welcoming to new entrants in the rocket world.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
I had a drink with Vern Estes, Lee Piester, Lonnie Reese and Harry Stine at NARWIN-1. These folks were friendly with each other and welcoming to new entrants in the rocket world.

Oh, the photo was just a comic pose meant to be funny.

Gleda told me She, Vern and the Priester's even took vacations together.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 PM
BAR

Quote:
There was an old B/W photo I saw somewhere...can't find it now...of Lee Prieser and Vern Estes having a sword fight with Saturn V's.

He any kin to Lee PIESTER?? Or was he a doppleganger??

Later! OL JR
Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Gleda told me She, Vern and the Piester's even took vacations together.
I believe it. Lee and Betty invited me and my wife to an event about a month after it was clear we were getting divorced. The road not traveled . . . .

I am a fan of Lee, Vern, George (GH) and Lonnie. I saw Lonnie shortly before he was killed in an auto accident. Great guy!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
No, I wish I still had the Centuri one, as it was one of the best rockets I ever built. It spent a few years in the attic and the wraps split and cracked. In 1980, I ordered a new set of wraps from their address in Phoenix, and was surprised when the package came from Penrose. I started to do the restoration, but my heart wasn't into it, and I combined the Saturn with a Maxi Alpha to create "the Mighty Favog", which looked like any average high power rocket of the 80's, but it was light, and flew nicely on Pro-Jets. It was lost on its third flight on a Pro Jet F40 in the dense trees of a residential area near the UGA practice fields.

The Estes rocket was eventually finished. Didn't like the way the wraps or the engine fairings turned out. It flew once. Couldn't get the two parachutes out the 1.5" tube at the top. Crunch. Eventually incorporated that rocket into other projects.

Oh, the packaging... I got the Centuri fresh off the first run, so it wasn't in anything fancy. I think they eventually slapped a nice label on it, but mine was blank. The Estes was shipped in the full color printed, calendared white cardboard package, and I think mine still had the old black Estes logo.

I was wondering about that early Centuri packaging and whether or not those first kits out the door went out in the full color boxes that are typically seen in the early versions. Sounds like yours was even pre- THAT version! I've not seen one of those boxes.

Box gone now too, I assume?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
At least through the general dealer network it was Estes first. Centuri was far better in every respect. When someone asked to put my Centuri Saturn V box in a museum it was not at all surprising to me.

Why they didn't want my Enerjet 2250 or 2650 box almost escaped me. Way oversize boxes like NCR.

The Estes SV was shipped in a shipping box for the kit with a two color printed end cap with the kit data. I have one of those somewhere too.

Jerry

Well, a different data point than Roy's experience. Anyone want to venture a tie-breaking datapoint?

Jerry, can you (please!!!) share a box photo of the 2250 and 2650?? Of course, if they are packed away somewhere or hard to get to, it would qualify NONE whatsoever as a valid excuse not to share a photo!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Well, a different data point than Roy's experience. Anyone want to venture a tie-breaking datapoint?

Jerry, can you (please!!!) share a box photo of the 2250 and 2650?? Of course, if they are packed away somewhere or hard to get to, it would qualify NONE whatsoever as a valid excuse not to share a photo!

Earl

Actually I think Jerry's remembered it better than me. My first Estes Saturn probably did come in a plain brown shipping box with an end label. I got another as a gift a year or so later that was probably in the nice box.

The Centuri one was definitely a simple white shipping box, pretty similar to what the North Coast kits came in. In fact, I never saw a labeled Centuri Saturn V until many years later. Kids around me bought Estes Saturn V's because those were eventually available at Bob's News Stand, and Plaza 5&10. S&K Bike Shop in Athens was the only Centuri dealer in the region, and I don't remember him ever stocking any of the big rockets. I remember I used the box for storing parts and odd&ends once I repurposed my room from a rocket workshop to a darkroom.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Gentleman Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Actually I think Jerry's remembered it better than me. My first Estes Saturn probably did come in a plain brown shipping box with an end label. I got another as a gift a year or so later that was probably in the nice box.

The Centuri one was definitely a simple white shipping box, pretty similar to what the North Coast kits came in. In fact, I never saw a labeled Centuri Saturn V until many years later. Kids around me bought Estes Saturn V's because those were eventually available at Bob's News Stand, and Plaza 5&10. S&K Bike Shop in Athens was the only Centuri dealer in the region, and I don't remember him ever stocking any of the big rockets. I remember I used the box for storing parts and odd&ends once I repurposed my room from a rocket workshop to a darkroom.

Mine Came from S&K in Athens (I think My parents had him special order one)...the box long outlived the model...We did not Know how good we had it...S&K carried Centuri Bob's News and Tobacco sold Estes (and lots of other hobby stuff) Plaza 5&10 had MPC and Sky City sold Cox...
Old 12-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Retired Missile Technician

I bought a Centuri Saturn V in the color picture box back in 1968 or 1969. Moved it around with me in the Air Force, but never built it. I later bought two of the kits in the more plainly illustrated white boxes. Sold the first kit while getting ready to move to a different base. Have always regretted that ever since, especially when our household goods came in underweight.
Both of the latter kits are still in shrink-wrap, although they are showing wear and tear.

Chas
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I bought a Centuri Saturn V in the color picture box back in 1968 or 1969. Chas

Ok, this must have been the one I saw, it was a nice photo on the box, but I do know for a fact it was mid summer of 1968. Also, the shop only sold Centuri engines.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com