Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Good heavens, John, you're really tempting me!

So what else is it going to take to get you to come?

A look into my basement workshop?
A personal guided tour of Estes?

I can only promise one of these

John Boren
Old 01-16-2013, 02:00 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
We still need to update the NSL2013 website about the banquet but I thought I would pass this for now.

Bill Stine will be presenting a talk about his dads company Model Missiles Inc. He will also try to bring a few artifacts to display. I for one know very little about Model Missiles and look forward to learning about what I believe was the first model rocket company in the US.

Vern Estes will be presenting a talk as well. I could tell you what it was going to be about but what fun would that be.

John Boren

Darn it, John!

The NSL just keeps getting better and better.!

I need to talk to my boss about getting that weekend off.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Master Modeler

I just wanted to remind everyone that Registrataion for this event is open at www.nsl2013.org.

The banquet will be held at Picasso Italian Grill. NSL will have the whole resturant to ourselves. This place is located about four miles from the Hotels. Next door will be a large vacant room where the Estes Display Models can be viewed before and after the dinner.

John Boren
Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks. I've broached the idea with my wife and not been told "no". But as a practical matter I have to wait to book anything until after I know whether we are going on strike or not - and if we are the funds will go that direction instead. *sigh*
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Master Modeler

Well..... no strike for us, though what will happen to my Tech colleagues is still open. So now I can start thinking more seriously about NSL.

Now I have to figure out whether to take a 2-hard-day road trip (and bring my own motors as well as models, and a table and a shade canopy and.....) or fly to Denver and rent a car (and have to pick up motors on site as well as deal with all the other fun air travel and renting cars is, as well as mooch off of someone else for shade and table at the flying site).

I'd need various Estes or Quest motors (18, 24mm) and some 1-3 grain 29mm CTI reloads if I were to purchase locally. How available will such things be?
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 02-23-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Master Modeler

Default Vendors on Site

You will want to fly into Colorado Springs if at all possible. It's only a 45 minute trip down 25 to the Hotels. Denver will take you a good couple of hours. So this typically means you fly to Denver, then transfer to a small regional jet to get to CO. Springs. In fact this is about the only way to get a flight into the Springs these days. There is also a Hobby Town USA Hobby Shop about 15 minutes from the airport if you need to pick any thing up that you need.

839 N Academy Blvd
Colorado Springs
(719) 637-0404

The only rocket related place to purchase stuff in Pueblo is the Hobby Lobby about five minutes from the hotel.

We will have onsite vendors You can pre order composite Motors heres. I also believe Apogee will be on site selling motors as well.

Company Name: Giant Leap Rocketry, Inc.
Contact Name: Jeffrey “Motojoe” Hinton
Email: motojoe4glr@yahoo.com
Telephone: 303-859-9728
Description: High Power rocket motors and motor hardware – Aerotech and Cesaroni. Please pre order on line to assure availability on site. Payment at time of order preferable. Place order by April 26th at the latest. Designate “No shipping – pick up at NSL.”

John Boren
Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Master Modeler

Good info....surprisingly flights to Colorado Springs (at the moment) are cheaper than flying to Denver (though that may not hold after I add baggage charges on UAL/CAL). It would be a 737-700 to Denver then a DeHavilland Dash-8 turboprop down I-25 to Colorado Springs.

I've used a hard plastic golf club case to transport model airplanes in the past. I think I could get my Leviathan and a number of smaller rockets in it.

Food for thought. Thanks!
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Master Modeler

I was lucky enough to fly on that turbo prop one time. I was sitted in the very rear of the plane. Very loud compare to a jet. The flight only takes about 15 minutes to get to the Springs. Most of the flight time you are either climbing to altitude or descending for landing.

John Boren
Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Master Modeler

OK - registration and banquet ticket purchased and road trip plans underway. My wife will fly into Denver on Monday afternoon after NSL is over and then we will go visit family in New Mexico for the next week and a half or so starting with a trip to Santa Fe on Tuesday after NSL. We've not done a road trip together - kids or no kids - in many years.....

The main reason she's not coming for the trip out is that she has some work/church obligations that would make the timing too tight. But I might get her out to a BMR launch in Eastern Washington next month.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I hope somebody videos every talk that Mr. Estes and Mr. Piester make at these events and makes them available at some point. I have at least 10 years to go before I can retire. Of course, they will still be going strong and I'll be the one that can't get my Hoverround wired to launch a cluster.