Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
A designers special at my local Hobby Lobby? I'm not going to hold my breath and wait for it. Mine carrys the same old (mostly stuff I don't want) and almost never changes or gets anything new.

... but AC Supply has them for $47.99

Yeah, $80 is too high. So, the solution may be to buy two of them from AC and another item to put the order over $100 and get free shipping.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Yeah, I've noticed that, too. I keep looking for E12's, but no luck. And that includes three or four Dallas-Plano-Frisco area stores. They do have some composites, tho, so there's some indication that eventually they'll add the newer BP motors <fingers crossed>

I'm thinking about putting together an AC Supply order, but will definitely need some partners to help defray the hazmat adder.

Doug

Doug,
The Hobbylinc hazmat fee is MUCH more reasonable.
Take a look...

http://www.hobbylinc.com/e_model_rocket_engines

Allen
Old 01-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Doug,
The Hobbylinc hazmat fee is MUCH more reasonable.
Take a look...

http://www.hobbylinc.com/e_model_rocket_engines

Allen
Thanks, Allen. I checked them out. Interestingly, it appears their hazmat handling is a mess. They list non-hazmat E20's as hazmat, but then only charge "$6.29USPS - Hazmat: 3rd Class Ground" which really isn't the hazmat we're talking about.

They list the E12's the same way, but no mention of hazmat for the E9's which should be categorized the same way. Both these motors should only be shipped hazmat via UPS or Fedex, but not USPS. Both these exceed the 30g propellant limit for using USPS while the E20's do not.

So, while it's tempting to partake of this opportunity, it kinda bugs me that professional rocket motor resellers can't figure out hazmat. As I recall, this is what killed an Atlanta based hobby vendor a few years ago (Valueland?). The story I heard was that they got busted for shipping stuff wrong and that the fines pretty much put them out of business.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Thanks, Allen. I checked them out. Interestingly, it appears their hazmat handling is a mess. They list non-hazmat E20's as hazmat, but then only charge "$6.29USPS - Hazmat: 3rd Class Ground" which really isn't the hazmat we're talking about.

They list the E12's the same way, but no mention of hazmat for the E9's which should be categorized the same way. Both these motors should only be shipped hazmat via UPS or Fedex, but not USPS. Both these exceed the 30g propellant limit for using USPS while the E20's do not.

So, while it's tempting to partake of this opportunity, it kinda bugs me that professional rocket motor resellers can't figure out hazmat. As I recall, this is what killed an Atlanta based hobby vendor a few years ago (Valueland?). The story I heard was that they got busted for shipping stuff wrong and that the fines pretty much put them out of business.

Doug

Doug,
I've been buying engines from them for years, and all they have ever charged me is the $6.29 (or thereabouts).
We are so used to getting shafted on the 'Hazmat fee,' I think the $6.29 appears a bit surprising.
My E's come with the appropriate paperwork and everything from Hobbylinc.
All appears legit.

Allen
Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

ok, i feel better now.
i bought a DS around 2002 or 03, and it was horrible.
i thought i was just being picky, but others here apparently share the same feelings.

this new one sounds promising. however like some others said, $80 is too high.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Out to launch...

Keep in mind that eighty bucks is the MSRP, not nessassarily what you will pay for it at the retailers - it's considerably less from hobbylinc.
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est1980.htm