Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
...Doug I'm sure you meant "launch set" rather than "starter set" as no motors are included....

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Master Modeler

A few years ago I found a Moon Mutt lauch set at Toys R Us on clearance for $6. It included the now-defunct dowel leg launch pad and controller. I didn't need either but I could not pass up the deal! The mini launch pad seems like it would be perfect for launching the mini brutes or any small rocket.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Master Modeler

And I agree, it is. I have one of those sets (though I put a streamer in the Moon Mutt). I think I got it when WalMart went out of the rocket business - what- three years ago - shortly after it was introduced. Of course, they are back at it again - at least in some stores - but with $9.99 motor packs!

The only place I've seen the separate mini launch system you mentioned before is at a local drug store chain....a place that normally doesn't carry rockets at all. But they had the launch system, packs of 1/2A3-4T motors and the three mini-motor RTFs that were released awhile back (Sky Duster, Fat Jax, Nitro). After a few weeks, they were gone and I've not seen rockets there since (though I admit I haven't looked either).
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
And I agree, it is. I have one of those sets (though I put a streamer in the Moon Mutt). I think I got it when WalMart went out of the rocket business - what- three years ago - shortly after it was introduced. Of course, they are back at it again - at least in some stores - but with $9.99 motor packs!

The only place I've seen the separate mini launch system you mentioned before is at a local drug store chain....a place that normally doesn't carry rockets at all. But they had the launch system, packs of 1/2A3-4T motors and the three mini-motor RTFs that were released awhile back (Sky Duster, Fat Jax, Nitro). After a few weeks, they were gone and I've not seen rockets there since (though I admit I haven't looked either).

I put a streamer in my Mutt as well, I thought the 12" chute was a bit much. Nice little rocket!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Master Modeler

The more recent mini-engine models (like the Sky Duster, et. al.) come with the new 6 inch 'chute. Makes much more sense. But the Moon Mutt came out in the solid white/solid red 'chute time frame.....

The weather is looking possibly flyable this weekend, so I may get a chance to try out the new controller and pad.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Master Modeler

Default Flight report

I did get out to fly on Sunday afternoon late. My main objective was testing the newly-added recording altimeter function in the Altus Metrum MicroPeak, but to do that I had to fly my two examples along with at least one other altimeter. For that purpose I used my Semroc Lune R-1.

I used the new Astron II controller and pad (but with a stainless 36 inch single-piece launch rod). Short version - it works just fine, thank you very much!

I got four flights in before the mist (and twilight) set in, including one using an already-used Estes igniter (so that there was just nichrome, no pyrogen). All ignitions were as quick as you'd expect with an EB with four fresh alkaline AAs in it. And as I noted before, it's easier to hold and manipulate than the EB with the required two-handed operation.

The pad itself sets up and disassembles easily and has a wide enough base (though each leg is effectively about an inch shorter than on the Porta Pad II). For my use on Sunday I didn't need any windage as there was only a little breeze. I suppose if it had been a breezy day I'd have wanted some means to tilt the launch rod a bit more than just pressing one leg down more tightly in the grass....

Anyway, I'm going to use it some more. So far, so good.

Here's a pic of the Lune R-1 on the new pad.

By the way, that color is REALLY bright outdoors - it reminds me of the orange NC/fin unit on the current Alpha IIIs - almost glowing in twilight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  568.5 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I did get out to fly on Sunday afternoon late. My main objective was testing the newly-added recording altimeter function in the Altus Metrum MicroPeak, but to do that I had to fly my two examples along with at least one other altimeter. For that purpose I used my Semroc Lune R-1.

I used the new Astron II controller and pad (but with a stainless 36 inch single-piece launch rod). Short version - it works just fine, thank you very much!

I got four flights in before the mist (and twilight) set in, including one using an already-used Estes igniter (so that there was just nichrome, no pyrogen). All ignitions were as quick as you'd expect with an EB with four fresh alkaline AAs in it. And as I noted before, it's easier to hold and manipulate than the EB with the required two-handed operation.

The pad itself sets up and disassembles easily and has a wide enough base (though each leg is effectively about an inch shorter than on the Porta Pad II). For my use on Sunday I didn't need any windage as there was only a little breeze. I suppose if it had been a breezy day I'd have wanted some means to tilt the launch rod a bit more than just pressing one leg down more tightly in the grass....

Anyway, I'm going to use it some more. So far, so good.

Here's a pic of the Lune R-1 on the new pad.

By the way, that color is REALLY bright outdoors - it reminds me of the orange NC/fin unit on the current Alpha IIIs - almost glowing in twilight.
Thank you for posting the report and photo. It got me thinking that since that launch pad is only slightly bigger than the Mini Launch Pad, it should also fit in the compartmented launch bag that we "chewed over" a few months back when you tested the mini pad. Maybe the NAR could make and sell the launch bags?
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Master Modeler

The legs are actually longer than Porta Pad II legs....so they'd need to poke out of that lunch bag, I think.

But of all the Estes pads this one is the easiest to assemble and disassemble by far.

I should take some comparison pics - the pad assembled as well as the parts - and post those.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
The legs are actually longer than Porta Pad II legs....so they'd need to poke out of that lunch bag, I think.

But of all the Estes pads this one is the easiest to assemble and disassemble by far.

I should take some comparison pics - the pad assembled as well as the parts - and post those.
Yes--and with the new Astron II Launch Controller next to it (but at *your* convenience).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Here is a top and bottom view of the pad (image file)

Grim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  20110720_BPAD_1.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  276.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20110720_BPAD_2.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  296.9 KB  
NAR #57503 Cert 1