Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Default Mystery Rocket From My Youth

When I was a kid growing up in Canada, the only place you could buy rocket kits and engines across the counter was at a store in Toronto called Edmund (or maybe Efton) Scientific. One day my brother, who lived in Toronto, brought home (small town called Napanee) a larger rocket kit. It was not Estes. The body tube was about a BT-55 to BT-60 size, and it had a soft white vinyl nose cone about 8" long. It was powered by a large diameter engine (probably an F). We launched it just once..........in a field near an old set of abandoned railway tracks...........and it catoed at about 100 feet. The rocket was pulverized, the nose cone took off to places unknown, and the engine casing came back down with terrific force and struck one of the steel tracks, severely denting it (the casing, of course).

I have often wondered who made that kit. The vinyl nose cone is key in trying to identify it. This all took place approximately circa 1970. Any suggestions as to what that kit might have been?

Joe
Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Joe, go here

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/rockets.html

Scroll down to the "catalogs" then you'll have to go through the individual pages of each catalog.

I was first thinking CANAROC but the CATO makes me think FSI.

You should be able to find it if you remember roughly what the model looked like.

You didn't give us much to work with but you may have luck leafing through.

It's fun to look anyway!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Thanks, Gordy. I went through those with no success. I can rule out a bunch of suppliers that didn't have engines larger than 18 mm. I know it wasn't Estes and pretty sure it wasn't Centuri. Anyone remember a Centuri kit with a vinyl nose cone? I remember that cone really well because it was soft and slightly curved (warped). I kept trying to straighten it, but it would just revert to the curved shape as soon as I let go. Affected the (only) flight too...........just as you might expect, the rocket's flight path described a slow arc due to the unbalanced force on the nose cone caused by the warpage.

I was just hoping someone here would remember having a kit with a soft vinyl nose cone. Would have to be an oldtimer because I'm 66.

Joe
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 PM
BP Mafia

Was it this place?
http://www.escience.ca/

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 PM
"now where did THAT one go??"

I thought maybe these guys: http://edmondsaerospace.com/

But- they're mostly (all?) gliders, but maybe that wasn't always the case? Didn't look through too far, have to put the kiddos to bed. Good luck friend!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Master Modeler

What a mystery!

Estes had a soft vinyl cone for its BT-40 tube, but that is nowhere near large enough for an F.

Was the model otherwise model-rocket-like? Not an adapted toy your brother assembled?

Besides FSI, Coaster and Centuri made big motors. As far as I know the kits for these were all heavy balsa.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Was it this place?
http://www.escience.ca/

You betcha!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
What a mystery!

Estes had a soft vinyl cone for its BT-40 tube, but that is nowhere near large enough for an F.

Was the model otherwise model-rocket-like? Not an adapted toy your brother assembled?

Besides FSI, Coaster and Centuri made big motors. As far as I know the kits for these were all heavy balsa.

Yes, I believe that vinyl cone was the same two-piece one that was used in the Model Missiles kit. My brother wasn't into model rocketry, but he knew that I was. So he would occasionally come home with a few engines or something that we could launch, but he would never have put various pieces together to come up with something new on his own. So, no, it was definitely a kit, large and with a soft white vinyl nose cone. Canaroc was not in business at the time, so it wasn't from a Canadian company...........besides, Canaroc never had anything larger than a 'D' engine. It had to have been from an American enterprise.

Joe
Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Could it have been an Enerjet Nike-Smoke from Centuri?

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...72/72ejet8.html

It had a vinyl nosecone which would not be real soft but would pliable. Powered either by an Enerjet composite motor or even a Mini-Max black powder motor if the same store sold those. An FSI F motor would fit if wrapped with enough tape (27mm vs 29mm).

Just a thought.

Chas
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

How about AVI ? They had some large diameter stubby F engines back in the 70's

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !