Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who's posts do you prefer in general ? Choose one.
ghrocketman 17 38.64%
shreadvector 27 61.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
spirit of 72

How to decide between two legendary posters ? Ok, his thread, GH gets the vote.

Last edited by samb : 03-29-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Dazed and Confused

I know GH is just yankin' chains in the bulk of his posts, and does post much more rocketry content than "Did you call _____ and ask them?"
Old 03-29-2013, 03:33 PM
spirit of 72

Yeah, and GH seems like a guy I'd like to share an adult beverage with someplace where they have an attractive (but not sleazy) waitstaff.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Master Modeler

Fred says that because that's the answer. People post the same questions on here day after day that become nothing more than endless speculation threads. Fred's suggestion to call and ask the entity that can answer the question is the correct one.

I can't tell you how many times people are surprised I know something about someone or some thing. When they ask how I know, and I tell them that I asked, they are often surprised. Asking someone who has the ability to answer a question is a lost art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I know GH is just yankin' chains in the bulk of his posts, and does post much more rocketry content than "Did you call _____ and ask them?"
Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
Fred says that because that's the answer. People post the same questions on here day after day that become nothing more than endless speculation threads. Fred's suggestion to call and ask the entity that can answer the question is the correct one.

I can't tell you how many times people are surprised I know something about someone or some thing. When they ask how I know, and I tell them that I asked, they are often surprised. Asking someone who has the ability to answer a question is a lost art.

In a few cases, yes. However, the whole point of this forum is for us to share knowledge with each other. If they always call a company and never ask us anything, there's no point in us being here. It strikes up conversation, and often friendships. I guarantee you that Fred has driven off more new people with that comment than he's helped to stay in rocketry. Fred's rocketry content is basically, "Have you called____ and asked them?", and posts to defend Quest like they are his only child.

Don't like new folks asking questions? Maybe you can get Scott to make the FAQ much more conspicuous with a bold sticky in every sub forum and make the FAQ much more substantial. Or just don't click on those question threads? People who have little knowledge of a subject often don't know enough enter the right search info and get a narrow enough set of results to find the answer without hours of wading through wacky posts about coins, toilet pranks, paint problems, or love/hate of Teri Garr.

As for speculation, half the fun of a gathering of folks is to speculate, guess, predict things related to that group...or even not related to it. Heck, professional sports has a huge and complicated "fantasy league" where regular folks predict how players will perform and go through fantasy seasons all without calling the NFL or MLB. It's all part of the fun. If we always know what companies are going to produce, or how something is going to work, the whole forum process becomes pointless and boring. Don't you remember wondering what the new Estes/Centuri catalog was going to have in it? Did you have any friends into rocketry? If so, you might have talked about it. What about the Sears Christmas catalog? What about the upcoming World Series, Super Bowl, NASCAR season? What about elections? Almost everybody speculates on elections.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Master Modeler

You can't be serious if you think Fred posts more extraneous stuff than GHROCKETMAN.

Quote:
without hours of wading through wacky posts about coins, toilet pranks, paint problems, or love/hate of Teri Garr.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
You can't be serious if you think Fred posts more extraneous stuff than GHROCKETMAN.

I never said that. Not even close.

Your quote from my post has nothing to do with Fred's content, but with you and Fred wanting people to call companies instead of asking people on the forum, which is why most are here in the first place....to discuss rocketry.

As to which posts the most rocketry content....they both hover around 1%.

PM sent.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:58 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerdawg
This thread is a CATO of Kraut.....

HAhahaha... I love it!!! Good one! OL JR
Old 03-30-2013, 02:02 AM
BAR

Quote:
(snip)
or love/hate of Teri Garr.

I KNEW this thread would come around to Teri Garr sooner or later...

Gotta love the sci-fi babes!!!

Quote:
Almost everybody speculates on elections.

Not around here if they don't want to be banned... not anymore... LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
I KNEW this thread would come around to Teri Garr sooner or later... Gotta love the sci-fi babes!!!
Later! OL JR

Where? WHERE???

I don't see Terri Garr.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com