Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Are those 2013 motor usage numbers up to date? They seem a bit low.

Bill

Believe it or not, they are. I've only flown twice so far. Circumstances have conspired against me on several occasions this year. I'm thinking about stacking the odds a bit for Sunday and heading to the field with a lot of my flight victims prepped with everything but the igniter and a chute.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I keep my flight log in my BRAIN. That is MORE than plenty for me. Congrats on being close to 1000. I know I have burned over 1000 motors since starting in 1977, but doubt the flight total is more than about 700.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 PM
aka Baron von Rohde

Hope you make it this weekend, I can't be there as I will be at a wedding in TN. I don't have any records from my earliest flights (1969-70), but I have some records from my first BAR trip (78-80) and this latest re-entry in 2006 which put my total at 607. Maybe you can make the trip to the museum on Saturday to make the goal a little easier to obtain over the weekend.

Mike
SAM 0114
NARtrek Silver

2015 motors - 1469 n/s (200 flights)
2016 motors - 1238 n/s (175 flights)
2017 motors - 1/2A-4, A-26, B-52, C-47, D-6, E-7, F-3 = 1238 n/s (138 flights)
2018 motors - 1128 n/s (104 flights)
2019 motors - 2241 n/s (189 flights)
2020 motors(thru 7/25/20) - 1/8A-1, 1/2A-3, A-14, B-23, C-27, D-11, E-6, F-2 = 876 n/s (81 flights)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Bill;

You could continue that streak at NARAM; any chance you'll be there?

Congrats, by the way!
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 04-30-2013, 08:18 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Bill;

You could continue that streak at NARAM; any chance you'll be there?

Congrats, by the way!

Supposed to be. I've got the vacation set up, and I'm hoping to be there at least Friday-Monday, but I may stretch it out a bit. We're having our decks replaced, so no other real vacation is planned this year.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Thank you, gentlemen. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have bothered to keep up with the flights had I not found the EMRR flight log feature, which I found when I was trying to work up the nerve to write a review of my own. In fact, that's how I realized that I was approaching the 1k mark. I was paging down to get to my list of reviews I'm working on and saw that I have 983 flights listed.
I'm impressed with those who do keep flight logs. Depending on one's circumstances, though, that might not always be desirable. Just as some sport fishermen and hunters purposely *don't* add up all of their costs to determine the per-pound cost of the meat they harvest (because it would ruin their enjoyment of the experiences), I don't want to be in a position of being able to calculate how many dollars per newton-second (or dollars per second of flight time) I have literally burned over the years... :-)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I'm impressed with those who do keep flight logs.
I do it so that I can look back and see what chutes/streamers and motors I have used on a given bird. It helps me select a better combo next time out. For example, several times I've started to put a certain delay motor only to read that, last time I tried it, the delay was too long (or too short). Similarly, I'll have notes that indicate the chute was too much or the streamer not enough. I'll also see where I had the rod tilted too much or not enough, etc. So, my old, spiral bound notebook is very helpful when I'm prepping.

One other thing it's helpful with: If I've prepped, then scrubbed, I have a list of what's stuffed into the birds, so, when I finally go get a chance to fly them, I can look it up without pulling the motors and chutes out. Those stagers with friction fit motors are a royal PITA to disassemble then reassemble. And I fly lots of stagers. (In addition to the notebook, I will usually tape a note to the prepped rocket listing the setup.)

I've found that with rocket gliders, the log book is especially helpful. Those types of rockets tend to be much more finicky about how they're set up. When they loop off the rod, then eject 5 feet above ground, they don't coast very far (even if they are horizontal.) So getting the rod angle (w.r.t the wind) and the right delay can make a huge difference. And the log book really helps!

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRohde
Hope you make it this weekend, I can't be there as I will be at a wedding in TN. I don't have any records from my earliest flights (1969-70), but I have some records from my first BAR trip (78-80) and this latest re-entry in 2006 which put my total at 607. Maybe you can make the trip to the museum on Saturday to make the goal a little easier to obtain over the weekend.

Mike

No, no museum for me. Sunday will be tough enough as it is, especially since I have to be at work at 10pm. I've done it before. It just makes getting home on Monday morning that much nicer. If this weekend gets washed, I might give Muncie a try next Saturday. That is, if they'll have me.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 PM
BP Mafia

I really don't think about the cost. My wife buys trees and plants for the yard that the deer immediately destroy. I think it's money down an eternal hole, but she likes it.
As for the actual physical log, the one I have is minimal. I've been working to update it into a book that is large enough for details like Doug suggested, but I can't stand to sit still long enough to make much progress. Such is the life of an ADHD child. (Or whatever letters they're throwing around to describe me these days.)

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-02-2013, 05:05 AM
Master Modeler

I don't worry about the cost, either; I'm not going to be taking one cent of it with me, so why not enjoy it? I also heartily support Doug's reasons for keeping logbooks. Also (depending on what types of data one records), such logs could even be used for motor age (and/or production lot) versus performance studies, especially if one often flies SAMs (Streamer Altitude Markers) in the models. In 1974, Bill Stine did this, and his flights revealed a 10% - 15% variation in motor total impulse based on the SAM descent times he recorded.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR