Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 05:42 PM
BP Mafia

Default Derby Day Spectacular at B6-4 Field

I needed to take the pressure off for tomorrow, so I wandered up to the field this afternoon around 4 to find it deserted. I wound up making 12 flights, everything I took with me with one repeater. Thought I lost one, a Quest Antari of dubious origin that turned up in the shop recently, but I found it while recovering the next rocket. Other than that only one close call. I feel a lot better about having to make only five flights to reach 1k tomorrow. I'll have a picture or two later, but Hot Blondie is waiting for me to take her out to dinner, so pictures have to wait.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 05-04-2013, 10:25 PM
BP Mafia

Despite what you saw on TV at the Derby, things in Kentucky were quite a bit more docile today in our end of the state. Apparently Derby Day cancels out afternoon baseball, because the only other people at B6-4 Field were the occasional spectators on the hilltop.
I started things out with the Excelsior Nike Goon, a rocket that has been finished for years except for a launch lug. This is the third or fourth time it's made the trip to the field, but the first time with said launch lug.

The Nike Goon wobbled some on the way up, and despite the rod leaning to the south, recovered way to the north. It looks like it's in trouble in the recovery picture, but in reality it missed the trees by four or five feet.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 PM
BP Mafia

Flight #2 was a Quest Antari that mysteriously turned up in the shop fully built. I have no recollection of buying or building this kit, and it had never been flown.

Having to work the launcher and the camera, this was one of the few launch shots I got on the afternoon. This one was probably a mistake. I never saw any of this A8-3 flight, so quick did it leave the pad heading straight into the sun. (My sunglasses were on my head, not my face.) I waited long enough for it to land, then began scanning the field and surrounding area. Nothing. I looked for five minutes before giving up, planning to check the parking lot across 27 out before I left for home.

Third flight was the Estes Wildfire on an A8-3. I had one of these year ago and lost it in one of the trees that stands behind where I launched from today. It wasn't stuck too badly, but just out of reach. When I returned later it was gone. I bought this one off of the Beer Skunk to replace that one.

Flight was nice and straight, fairly high, and it drifted a good deal on recovery. I flew it as intended, with both the chute and streamer recovery. It landed on the lower field,

When I walked down and jumped the creek to pick it up, I noticed a flash of orange off to my right. It was the Antari.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-04-2013, 10:45 PM
BP Mafia

I've always hated a) the paint scheme on the Estes Patriot missile, and b) the sticker decals. I went with an Honest John scheme for mine. (I have white letters that I plan to add this week.)

The B6-4 flight was perfect, straight up and surprisingly high for the field. It landed across the creek, but in foul territory of the lower field instead of in short center like the Wildfire. I was moving closer to my target recovery area.

Next on the pad was the Estes Courier I cloned around an original cone. This was an A8-3 flight, so I kept my sunglasses down.

Flight was straight and quick. I didn't see much, but I heard the ejection charge. Recovery was via streamer and a hard hit on the infield, but there was no damage.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Here in Texas, we're having a drought. My yard looks like crap (altho I can't blame it all on the drought - I haven't been as attentive as perhaps I should have) but your pic reminds me of how beautiful it is up there this time of year. It brings back many fond memories of life in the Ohio Valley.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 PM
BP Mafia

I built this Patriot as an 18mm bird just for B6-4 Field. It's quite the pig, but perfect for the field on a B6-4, like many BT-60 birds seem to be.

Just because of the Bertha-esque physique, I was able to catch this launch shot.

It also looks good under canopy.

The flight was straight, but LOW and SLOW. If I had a button pusher and the big boy camera, I could have had pics of the whole flight.

The Dr. Zooch Discover Thor lost its main body tube on its first flight several years ago. I recently completed the replacement. Despite the compact size, it's pretty hefty, which meant I felt comfy flying it on a B6-4 and not being a "Squirming Hatch-Blower" and using an A8-3.

A fairly high, straight flight and perfect recovery right on the spot I'd hoped I'd recover on all day. For a change I was lucky AND good. The body tube still needs work, but it was flightworthy, so I took a shot.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-04-2013, 11:05 PM
BP Mafia

Next was the freebie Semroc Astron on an A8-3. I flew this here once before, but it pooped its innards at ejection. Apparently I didn't use enough glue. A first for me.

The A8-3 flight was high and straight. Recovery was within a few feet of the spot where the Thor had wound up. Can't beat that with a tire iron.

I had an audience for the Astron Sprite that I cloned last fall. It was a 1/2A3-2 flight, so I doubt he saw much, but he stayed and spectated from Woodfill Avenue through the whole process. The flight was surprisingly high, and very, very quick.

I felt lucky to get the liftoff shot. I think the light coming up helped a lot.

Streamer recovery over by the Quadruple Terrors, but managed to miss all of them. Landed almost at home plate.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 PM
BP Mafia

When I'd gone this long without interruption, I decided to try to fly everything in my box. I'd flown the Laser Lance her before and was pretty impressed. I also liked how it came out, so I grabbed it when I was picking victims.

A nicely done B6-4 flight that recovered in my sweet spot. I was on a roll.

The Estes Stinger was another rocket that had flown previously, but I liked the looks and left it in the box when I was putting the other birds away. This one could go either way, A8-3 or B6-4, but the winds were starting to kick up. I chose an A8-3. It was the right call.

I followed this with another flight of the Patriot, which I think might be the bird that I can fly on a C6-5 here. The next time I get a calm day, I might try that. I had the motors to do more, but I know Blondie's eating habits. She gets hungry around 6, and the Derby was posted at 6:24, so I decided to call it a wildly successful day. 12 flights, no drama, and I head to the big field tomorrow with my magic number standing at 5.
I can sleep in now.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Here in Texas, we're having a drought. My yard looks like crap (altho I can't blame it all on the drought - I haven't been as attentive as perhaps I should have) but your pic reminds me of how beautiful it is up there this time of year. It brings back many fond memories of life in the Ohio Valley.

Doug

You should see my yard! We're cutting it twice a week! It was really great out today, especially with the Cubs collapse and the Reds not collapsing back. I was amazed to find the field open, but look a gift horse in the mouth I did not. (In honor of Star Wars Day.)

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Hi Bill,
I always enjoy your launch reports from the B6-4 field.

I'm in the same boat, my schoolyard launches have a B6-4 "cap" on them.
You probably do what I do - press the launch button and then the shutter as soon as you hear the "hiss" at engine ignition. It's always fun to get home to see what you've actually captured.

But 12 flights? Wow, I'm lucky to get four or five up at one session.
Good work!

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!