Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNGA
Once in my rocket/airplane crazed youth I attached a Jetex 50 to the underside of a balsa glider. Didn't think much about having a flame 1/4 inch from the wood, never the less Jetex started hissing, plane was on fire, I gave it a good toss and it crashed and 'did' burn. Looked good doing it though.

I used to roll a small paper tube just the size of a bottle rocket, then attach the tube with bottle rocket under a little hand-toss styrofoam glider (with little plastic propeller), being careful to get the CG of the rocket assembly exactly under the CG of the glider. A couple of hand tosses to make any glider adjustments necessary, then light 'er up! These really flew well and were a lot of fun, but just one flight apiece since the bottle rocket always exploded at the end.........
Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Craftsman

Now if Jetex were available again
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
Old 08-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
but just one flight apiece since the bottle rocket always exploded at the end.........
Not if you scraped the clay from the end of the bottle rocket and knocked the flash powder out.

I used to do the same with balsa gliders with mixed results. I sometimes got a real good flight or a high speed crash.

The Guillow's or North Pacific gliders were fragile so I made my own most of the time.
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 08-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Master Modeler

Teastor's had some nice throw and rubber-band gliders (do they still make them?) when they first came out. Loved the bright orange tips on the wings tails.

Anyone remember the Ripcord guys with the space in their back for the parachute? They were a product of the (very brief) TV show. Spent a lot of time throwing those things up in the air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 3.13.53 PM.png
Views: 48
Size:  426.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 3.12.02 PM.png
Views: 54
Size:  323.8 KB  
Old 08-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
Teastor's had some nice throw and rubber-band gliders (do they still make them?) when they first came out. Loved the bright orange tips on the wings tails.

Anyone remember the Ripcord guys with the space in their back for the parachute? They were a product of the (very brief) TV show. Spent a lot of time throwing those things up in the air.

That glider looks a lot like my ill fated attempt at the rocket powered flight (minus the flames)
Old 08-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jablonski
Now if Jetex were available again
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
I've been given to understand that it is. Last week I corresponded with Benjamin Nead, an American Jetex enthusiast, and he passed along information from Roger Simmonds (e-mail: rsimmo@globalnet.co.uk ), a British Jetex modeler who publishes a Jetex e-mail newsletter. According to Mr. Simmonds, a Jetex-like motor is being developed in Italy, and Dr. Z's (Dr. Jan Zigmund, in the Czech Republic) Rapier single-use jet motors are available in the UK again, but not in the USA because they can't be mailed (I got mine from a "risk-taking" U.S. Free-Flight model airplane store, which has since stopped taking the risk...).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Master Modeler

Here is a great article as well as plans to the NP Sleek Streak FF airplane.

http://www.nosf.ca/docs/heykid1.pdf
Old 09-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Craftsman

Cool article. Since mothballing Starlight I have started small hobby shop and yes I carry Guillows balsa planes (along with a ton of rockets).
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
Old 09-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Master Modeler

My two Strato Streak's. I have two, one for backup and I was gonna make a twin SS with one Stabilizer. It involved some minor modification to the landing gear,(cutting the inside leg)
and sliding the wings into the fuses slots so the center wing is flat and the outboard wings has a dihedral.
I'm not sure if I read about it somewhere or it was my own idea but I would love to take the credit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Guillows Strato Streak 002.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  242.9 KB  
Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy

Ha! "Realistic floating action!". Forgot all about that show - we had those as well.

S.
SAM #0031