Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
No kidding.

I wonder why the flight was reported as an "excellent straight-up flight" in MRm?

I'm sure it was some sort of inside joke.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I'm sure it was some sort of inside joke.

I think you are right. After watching through your NARAM coverage I pulled my copy of that mag out and glanced through the photos and text fairly quickly. Based on your coverage of the flight and aftermath of pieces and parts, I suspected about the only explanation was kind of a tongue in cheek (friendly) jab at Harry. It was interesting to see how many photos Harry was making of it as it was being set up on the pad.

Thanks for posting this footage Roy. Most enjoyable. Good flight tracking too. After having taped probably over 10,000 high power flights over the years through a relatively small camera viewfinder, I know a good camera track of a rocket flight ain't exactly as easy as it looks.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Master Modeler

That was a hoot. Who was the guy in the helmet and oxygen mask?

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 11-07-2013, 09:45 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Thanks for posting this footage Roy. Most enjoyable. Good flight tracking too. After having taped probably over 10,000 high power flights over the years through a relatively small camera viewfinder, I know a good camera track of a rocket flight ain't exactly as easy as it looks.

Earl

The camera was fairly sophisticated for a Kodak camera, but had a flimsy fold out grip. Before NARAM I made a larger wooden rifle grip that attached to the tripod mount, so I generally shot with two hands, one pressing the shutter button or operating the zoom, the other on the back grip. My dad opted for the normal grip. He also usually used the manual zoom, while I tried to use the motorized zoom as much as possible. The early films were usually my mom operating a small Brownie Regular 8 camera, which was basically a plastic box with a spring drive (you had to crank it to wind up the spring) There is a LOT of missing footage, as I edited this film in the late 70's and threw away all the scraps and bad shots.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:59 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
That was a hoot. Who was the guy in the helmet and oxygen mask?

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

At some point that day, the Seattle section did a spoof of "Honest Ivan," the first large cluster rocket that flew at NARAM-1, which Harry had documented in MRm earlier that year. Basically, they played the Internationale on the PA, Harry counted down in Russian, the rocket stayed on the pad, spewed red, white, and blue smoke, and eventually the nose cone took off on a stick rocket, and Harry declared it a "great success of Glorious Soviet Know-How" (in a russian accent).

The Helmet and Mask guy may have been part of that. I don't remember what that rocket did. Maybe eject a bunch of red white and blue streamers or something.