Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Ebay NCR Bomarc $$$

Old 11-24-2013, 10:49 AM
7/21/61

That is actually a half-price sale which was posted after this auction closed:

$1500 Bomarc

Really fascinating bidding in the $1500 one. Usually outlandish bidding like this happens only between two bidders, usually new at the process. This auction was between two very seasoned bidders and someone with 0 feedback (neophyte or shill) who repeatedly entered slightly higher bids ("nibbling"). As much as some here complain about it, the nibbler in this auction is a great example of why sniping (bidding in the last 10 seconds of an auction) is a good idea.

What is really odd is that the first and second place bidders in this auction each had enough experience to have looked and seen that the last NCR Bomarc sold in September for $165. This is not all that rare an item and this one wasn't even pristine. The price paid for this one was just ludicrous and I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer doesn't actually pay (since eBay has made it completely OK to not pay for an auction you win).

I hope the seller had a couple more so he could make some second-chance offers.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Out to launch...

The ad for the 1500 dollar one stated all proceeds were going to charity, that might have had something to do with it too. I suspect the person selling the one listed now saw the previous ad. Funny also that someone just recently joined TRF with questions regarding the value of this very kit, I wonder if it's him?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Level 3

The person on TRF contacted me about getting a copy of the instructions. He tried to tell me that they were going for 1500.00. I have built two, with one being extensively modified. I still have one sealed mint in the box. I replied if they were actually going for that much I would have some molds made for the vacuform ramjets and quit my day job to start a kit manufacturing business. I did send him a PDF of the instructions though.