Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Craftsman

Default Semroc Saturn 1B quietly slips into [history] production again.

[Update - All is OK. The 1B is not OOP.]

This is one of those kits we all have on our "one day" lists. Following the passing of Carl, I have been keeping an occasional eye on the Semroc kit lists, preferring to buy direct to give Sheryl the full sale. The 1B has been Back Ordered the whole time. I noticed a few days ago that it is now simply not listed on the site anymore, either through the Scale or Summary links, or via Search. This post may be premature, but if we were going to get more, I don't imagine it would be removed from the website. I feel a bit awkward about pestering Sheryl and Bruce to confirm, but maybe someone who is closer to them could enquire?

I still remember the excitement when this kit was released back in 2006. I followed all the build threads and ached to own one. I didn't buy because I was too scared. I was fairly new to rocketry then, and I thought I'd make a mess of it and not do it justice. Fortunately, I've come to my senses and a vendor has one on its way to me. I'm still intimidated by it, though.

Last edited by matthew : 12-21-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I still get the Saturn 1B profile page (listed as backordered) when I ran a Google search, but like you I was unable to dig it up on the Semroc site in any other kit category.

I also did some web snooping and dug up a vendor with one (at a pretty good price actually) and decided it was time to SOGOTP and fire off the order I've been dragging my feet for 6 years.

I hope it's just a technical glitch of some sort and Semroc will be able to keep offering it, but I know it has to be a terrifically time and labor-intensive kit to put together.

Bottom line I guess is you can't window-shop forever.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Dazed and Confused

That guarantees that mine will never fly, unless they make it available again sometime in the future.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStarStar
SOGOTP

I had to Google that, but yeah, that was pretty much the bottom line for me, too, although I was keen to buy one since hearing the news about Carl. I imagine, given the circumstances, that all 1B kits are "Carl" kits. I guess that will add a little bit of extra magic for those of us that care about such things.

There's a lot of Semroc kits that are Back Ordered. Maybe... it might be prudent to seek out any of them around now if there's anything else that has remained on anybody's "to do" list. I hope all is well, but I can't imagine how big Carl's shoes would be to fill in a business like Semroc.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Master Modeler

I had been planning all year to buy the Saturn 1b at the annual Semroc Christmas sale (sigh).

I just pulled the trigger at Red Arrow Hobbies .... it will be a special build for me.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew
I had to Google that, but yeah, that was pretty much the bottom line for me, too, although I was keen to buy one since hearing the news about Carl. I imagine, given the circumstances, that all 1B kits are "Carl" kits. I guess that will add a little bit of extra magic for those of us that care about such things.

There's a lot of Semroc kits that are Back Ordered. Maybe... it might be prudent to seek out any of them around now if there's anything else that has remained on anybody's "to do" list. I hope all is well, but I can't imagine how big Carl's shoes would be to fill in a business like Semroc.

I (and I'm sure many others here) still ache over the loss of Carl, and I think often of Sheryl and Bruce and how they are doing. I can only imagine the challenge of doing all that needs to be done for the variety of kits and parts offered by Semroc. I hope they have been at least able to hire some part-time help to carry out some of the more straightforward work of order filling and the like. But in a small family business like that it still doesn't come near filling the void left by the likes of Carl.

The holidays too make losses like this even more difficult, so for those so inclined, a prayer or two for Sheryl and Bruce during these days would probably be very well timed.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Rockets & BP= Happy, Happy, Happy

I too have been looking for that Saturn 1B kit to come back in stock on Semroc's website.

I hope they continue to keep that valuable resource and business going.

The newer kits offered by Estes and others just don't have the same appeal to me as the older kits do.

I understand their loss though and I keep on hoping that they will bounce back and that the business/resource that Carl started will live on far into the future. It would be a great way to honor him and his legacy.

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

My Low Power Rocket Fleet

Level 1 (2-22-2014) GRITS Winternationals
Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 12-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
I had been planning all year to buy the Saturn 1b at the annual Semroc Christmas sale (sigh).

I just pulled the trigger at Red Arrow Hobbies .... it will be a special build for me.

Keep looking. RAH doesn't have any. It was my first port of call. It looks like RAH don't have stock tracking on the website. I'm still waiting for Dave to hit the refund button at PayPal.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Old Submariner

I was at Red Arrow on 12-16. I didn't see any 1B kits, but I didn't ask Dave either.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 12-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Level 3

I wonder if they will offer any new kits ?