Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
David, Centuri would use Paper Reducers for most of the transitions, if I was going to clone this Model, I would start with the Core Tube (Engine Mount Tube) an ST-7 a PR713 Transition the ST-13, Main Body Tube and then
another transition PR 813 with the ST8 tube and the BC83 Nose Cone. the small tubes (5) that surround the Core Tube would be ST-53 with BC-51 nose cones . and the fins attach
at the joint of these small tubes. I estimate that the model is 21.65" tall.

I think SEMROC has all of these parts and this would not be very difficult to build.

1.25 to bottom of tube , 3" core tube, 1.5 transition, 8"main body tube, 1.7 transition,
3" upper body tube, 3.2" nose cone. remember the ST7 and the ST8 over lap into the
Transitions.

Good Luck with this project, and Merry Christmas To All

My guess is the top tube is ST10 and the top cone is a Centuri PNC-103 (Semroc should have a balsa equivalent).

I think the smaller tubes around the base are ST 7 size, probably motor tube length, capped with pod cones like used on the Orion.

The one I'm not sure about is the bottom core tube, whether it is ST 7 or whether it might be ST 10 like top tube.

I agree the main tube is ST 13.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Rockets & BP= Happy, Happy, Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
David, Centuri would use Paper Reducers for most of the transitions, if I was going to clone this Model, I would start with the Core Tube (Engine Mount Tube) an ST-7 a PR713 Transition the ST-13, Main Body Tube and then
another transition PR 813 with the ST8 tube and the BC83 Nose Cone. the small tubes (5) that surround the Core Tube would be ST-53 with BC-51 nose cones . and the fins attach
at the joint of these small tubes. I estimate that the model is 21.65" tall.

I think SEMROC has all of these parts and this would not be very difficult to build.

1.25 to bottom of tube , 3" core tube, 1.5 transition, 8"main body tube, 1.7 transition,
3" upper body tube, 3.2" nose cone. remember the ST7 and the ST8 over lap into the
Transitions.

Good Luck with this project, and Merry Christmas To All

Man you're good! You have those tube length's pegged pretty good.

I think the center tube probably extends up into the main body tube with some/a centering rings to keep everything lined up. I agree about the paper transitions. Especially on the bottom section. I could probably cheat a little and use a balsa wood transition for the top and just have the very top section free to act as a small payload area. Could send it up with a small camera or altimeter or what not. I don't have any flight simulating software so I'm not sure how high it will fly on an 18mm motor.

Thanks for your input. Very helpful.

I wonder if I can get a set of generic decals for it somewhere...

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

My Low Power Rocket Fleet

Level 1 (2-22-2014) GRITS Winternationals
Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 12-24-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
My guess is the top tube is ST10 and the top cone is a Centuri PNC-103 (Semroc should have a balsa equivalent).

I think the smaller tubes around the base are ST 7 size, probably motor tube length, capped with pod cones like used on the Orion.

The one I'm not sure about is the bottom core tube, whether it is ST 7 or whether it might be ST 10 like top tube.

I agree the main tube is ST 13.

Earl

That's interesting insight about the Orion pod cones, and about the main engine tube. It could be a larger tube with a motor tube with centering rings inside it. I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking like Neal Miller, that it was the same size as the outside tubes. From the picture it looks like the circumference of the cluster of tubes is not much bigger than the main body tube. Probably 1/4 inch bigger all the way around?

I may just order both sizes and see which one looks the best. Let me see what my math tells me first. If it's close then I'll order both tube sizes.

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 12-24-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:

Earl

If that is an ST 10 tube then that opens up the possibility of a 24mm motor mount. Hmmm.

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 12-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Dazed and Confused

The rocket is in color in the 1974-75 catalog. You can see where the decals came from on this page.
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...74/74cen68.html

Most of the small decals are from the military insignia sheet (first item).

The top roll pattern looks like it was made by modifying several pieces from sheet #7 and #8.

Middle roll pattern is just creative use of stripe decals or pen striping tape.

The bottom roll pattern could have been made using regular stripe decals or pen striping tape, or by taking two #8 sheets and clipping the biggest roll pattern from each, putting them nose to nose to make one big one. The only problem with the latter method is having to layer the lettering over the base roll pattern decal.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronot
That's interesting insight about the Orion pod cones, and about the main engine tube. It could be a larger tube with a motor tube with centering rings inside it. I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking like Neal Miller, that it was the same size as the outside tubes. From the picture it looks like the circumference of the cluster of tubes is not much bigger than the main body tube. Probably 1/4 inch bigger all the way around?

I may just order both sizes and see which one looks the best. Let me see what my math tells me first. If it's close then I'll order both tube sizes.

David

Yeah, it really is somewhat difficult to know which it is just by eyeballing the photo. I've looked at the model many times in the old Centuri catalogs (some of the first rocketry catalogs I received as a kid....this image first appeared in either the '71 or'72 catalog). But it may simply be an ST7 core tube. I am pretty sure the cluster of base tubes though are ST 7 size and those are Orion cones on those tubes. That same cone was used as the cone on the X-24B kit, the Argus kit, and as pod cones on the Enerjet Athena kit. I can't be quite as certain on the top tube and cone, but I have a pretty decent feeling they are ST 10 based parts.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The rocket is in color in the 1974-75 catalog. You can see where the decals came from on this page.
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...74/74cen68.html

Most of the small decals are from the military insignia sheet (first item).

The top roll pattern looks like it was made by modifying several pieces from sheet #7 and #8.

Middle roll pattern is just creative use of stripe decals or pen striping tape.

The bottom roll pattern could have been made using regular stripe decals or pen striping tape, or by taking two #8 sheets and clipping the biggest roll pattern from each, putting them nose to nose to make one big one. The only problem with the latter method is having to layer the lettering over the base roll pattern decal.

Holy Cow! In Living Color! That's an awesome rocket. Thanks for the picture and info. Awesome! That rocket looks cool for days!

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 12-24-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it really is somewhat difficult to know which it is just by eyeballing the photo. I've looked at the model many times in the old Centuri catalogs (some of the first rocketry catalogs I received as a kid....this image first appeared in either the '71 or'72 catalog). But it may simply be an ST7 core tube. I am pretty sure the cluster of base tubes though are ST 7 size and those are Orion cones on those tubes. That same cone was used as the cone on the X-24B kit, the Argus kit, and as pod cones on the Enerjet Athena kit. I can't be quite as certain on the top tube and cone, but I have a pretty decent feeling they are ST 10 based parts.

Earl

Looking at that picture in color leads me to believe the Top tube is bigger than the engine mount tube at the bottom. So I think you are right that the top tube is an ST 10 and I think the bottom center tube is more than likely an ST 7

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 12-24-2013, 11:06 PM

Anyone have any ideas about the fin pattern. Have you seen that fin pattern on other rockets?

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 12-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronot
Looking at that picture in color leads me to believe the Top tube is bigger than the engine mount tube at the bottom. So I think you are right that the top tube is an ST 10 and I think the bottom center tube is more than likely an ST 7

David

You know the pods are ST 7's, so grab six of them and you will quickly see what size core is needed for them and the six fins to fit.