Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Frank, just got your emails. Thanks! I have a Kosdon Saturn 1B kit that I haven't started (also 1:70 like the Estes kit). Your stuff is going to make it easier to finish and look better too! So thanks again for all your hard work and for sharing it with folks on this forum!

Joe
Old 02-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Retired Missile Technician

I just requested a set. I, too, have a Kosrox kit which I purchased in the late '90s and it has been aging gracefully in the attic all this time. Also two SEMROC kits and tubes and fin pieces parts from another.

It is very generous of people like Frank and Rosco Racer for making these wraps available for the 1/70th scale and Dr. Zooch Ant scale Saturn 1Bs !!!

Chas
Old 02-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Master Modeler

I have been ask. What type of clear coat would you recommend and how many coats?

I work on paper models also. When I print out a wrap or model on paper I use KRYLON UV-Resistant Clear/Acrylic coating. It protects against UV light rays, non-yellowing permanent coating, Moisture-resistant, and dries in minutes. It comes in Gloss or Matt finish. I am lucky I have a Hobby Lobby near me so I buy it there. I have seen this at wal-mart in there craft dept.

The number of coats is up to you. I spray one generous coat and let it dry for at least an hour.

Hope this helps anyone who was wondering about this.

Frank.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:06 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
I have been ask. What type of clear coat would you recommend and how many coats?

I work on paper models also. When I print out a wrap or model on paper I use KRYLON UV-Resistant Clear/Acrylic coating. It protects against UV light rays, non-yellowing permanent coating, Moisture-resistant, and dries in minutes. It comes in Gloss or Matt finish. I am lucky I have a Hobby Lobby near me so I buy it there. I have seen this at wal-mart in there craft dept.

The number of coats is up to you. I spray one generous coat and let it dry for at least an hour.

Hope this helps anyone who was wondering about this.

Frank.

Frank, what adhesive do you use when applying the wraps to the tubes? Does the Krylon soak through the paper and impair adhesion in any way?

Joe
Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Master Modeler

Joe, what adhesive do I use when applying the wraps to the tubes? Well, believe it or not I have good luck with Elmer's Craftbond extra strength glue stick. Everyone has their favorite type of glue . I spread about a half inch wide glue down the tube . Then I put the edge of the wrap down and secure it by rubing the edge with my finger. I set it a side and let the glue have time to set up good, around 20 or 30 minutes. Then I go on working with the wrap.

Does the Krylon soak through the paper and impair adhesion in any way? So far I have never had any trouble with the Krylon interfering with the bond of the glue. I do use 28 pound weight paper for my wraps and paper models.

Hope this ansures your questions.

Frank.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
Joe, what adhesive do I use when applying the wraps to the tubes? Well, believe it or not I have good luck with Elmer's Craftbond extra strength glue stick. Everyone has their favorite type of glue . I spread about a half inch wide glue down the tube . Then I put the edge of the wrap down and secure it by rubing the edge with my finger. I set it a side and let the glue have time to set up good, around 20 or 30 minutes. Then I go on working with the wrap.

Does the Krylon soak through the paper and impair adhesion in any way? So far I have never had any trouble with the Krylon interfering with the bond of the glue. I do use 28 pound weight paper for my wraps and paper models.

Hope this ansures your questions.

Frank.

Thanks, Frank!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Frank, what adhesive do you use when applying the wraps to the tubes? Does the Krylon soak through the paper and impair adhesion in any way?

Joe
Joe,

I do lots of wraps. I print them directly onto full-sheet label paper. That way they are self adhesive. Once they are covered with a clear-coat shell, they never peel off. I use an HP inkjet printer and Rustoleum Painter's Touch clear (available at Home Depot) is what I use to coat them.

I wrote a tutorial on how I apply wraps here.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Master Modeler

Gus, I have read your tutorial on applying wraps. I would say a must read for anyone using wraps. Tanks for bring it up I had never seen it before.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:46 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Gus- great tutorial on wraps. Don't know how I missed this in the past, but will be using these techniques in the future. Invaluable perspective from a very talented builder.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Joe,

I do lots of wraps. I print them directly onto full-sheet label paper. That way they are self adhesive. Once they are covered with a clear-coat shell, they never peel off. I use an HP inkjet printer and Rustoleum Painter's Touch clear (available at Home Depot) is what I use to coat them.

I wrote a tutorial on how I apply wraps here.

Steve, that is a fine tutorial. I appreciate the time you took to post all of that good info.

Joe