Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Master Modeler

Looked like a decent day of flying.

Not a bad field overall but looks like you landed in the punji sticks a few times.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm
Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I was lucky. When I was on my long hike for the Kingpin, I found a path through the corn that made it almost like walking on a dirt road. I have no idea what a GMO is, but if that's the result, I'm all for it.

GMO = Genetically Modified Organism. They already adulterate corn so that it tolerates being sprayed with RoundUp.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Someone really needs to GMO that corn so that the stubble is easier on landing rockets.

Bill

Actually, much tougher stubble is one of the results of genetic engineering, and virtually ALL the field corn now being grown is genetically engineered, with at least one trait, and often with several stacked traits (one or more Bt genes for earworms, Roundup Ready gene, sometimes Liberty Link gene, high oil or waxy corn, various other genetic modification traits). The Bt genes create an indigestible (by lepidopterous pests (moth larvae) protein which gives them a fatal case of constipation and perforates their guts and kills them. It's also had an unanticipated side-effect-- the stubble of the stalks is MUCH harder and will rapidly wear out tires and can lead to stubble punctures... corn stalks have always been hard on tires, but once the genetically engineered varieties came out, it became readily apparent they were MUCH harder on tires... It didn't take long before solutions were sought, which have typically come in the form of "stalk stompers", mechanical devices consisting of curved steel plates, often covered with a slippery layer of high density polyethylene plastic to minimize wear, affixed to tractors, combines, and other equipment to flatten the stalks out in the path that the tires will roll through.

It's exactly this sort of "unanticipated side effects" of genetic engineering that causes me concern... that's a fairly minor thing, but it begs the question-- WHAT ELSE is going on in the plant that we CANNOT readily see or detect that is unwanted or bad, or could lead to something bad??

Later! OL JR
Old 03-24-2014, 09:24 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I was lucky. When I was on my long hike for the Kingpin, I found a path through the corn that made it almost like walking on a dirt road. I have no idea what a GMO is, but if that's the result, I'm all for it.

GMO= Genetically Modified Organism... IOW, a genetically engineered crop, of which virtually all the field corn and soybeans grown in the US are now GMOs. Same thing with MOST major crops actually, from rice and wheat to cotton, various fruits and vegetables, sweet corn, you name it... if it's grown agriculturally, the vast majority of it is GMO now (unless it's certified organic or grown under the organic rules without being certified (which is an expensive and time consuming and ongoing process many growers it was designed to help cannot afford to get the certification). Of course there's no guarantee that certified organic stuff doesn't have "genetic pollution" from surrounding fields of genetically modified crops (which of course outnumber any organic crops probably by at least 100:1) This cross-pollination spread of genetic modifications has been found hundreds, even thousands of miles away from the genetically modified crop... even in the "corn nursery" where the original native varieties of corn are found (which represents an absolutely incalculably valuable native reservoir of natural genetic traits to resist pests and disease that we haven't assessed and which could prove absolutely essential to provide resistance to future crop disease and pest outbreaks, and which cannot be replaced).

That's why I'm not a big fan of GMOs... too much uncertainty about secondary effects, uncontrolled spread of the genetic traits in undesirable ways, to non-modified crops, and even "jumping species" to related "cousin species" to the genetic modified crops, some of which (like johnsongrass or jointed goatgrass) are closely related to major GMO crop species but are pest species... (which has ample evidence has and is occurring despite assertions by the GMO industry to the contrary).

Later! OL JR
Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

How was the dinner ?
Where did you and the wife go ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
How was the dinner ?

What was for dinner? What did you watch?
And most important, did you get....?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:52 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
How was the dinner ?

Very good! We went to one of our one-off local places that never seems to be busy when our time for dinner rolls around. Neither of the kids would approve of this place, so we're bound to like it. We asked why they were so slow and were told that they get busy later, after 8, which works well for us because we get hungry around 6:30 . Maria had a quiche that looked excellent and I got rigatoni with ground veal and herbed goat cheese. I even got dessert, which is unusual for me, but who can resist a good creme brulee. (And I got to watch them carmelize the sugar from my seat by the window, the whole time thinking "I can do that." Now to get up the nerve to actually try it. )

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 03-24-2014, 03:57 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
What was for dinner? What did you watch?
And most important, did you get....?

Flightplan with Jodie Foster. Pretty decent movie. Kind of in the junior Hitchcock vein, but not at all bad.
And the kids were out of town. Pretty good weekend all around.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 03-24-2014, 03:58 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
GMO = Genetically Modified Organism. They already adulterate corn so that it tolerates being sprayed with RoundUp.

Bill

Oh, that GMO. I knew what that meant. I thought it was going to be something else like a tractor with a steam-roller attachment.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 03-24-2014, 04:02 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Looked like a decent day of flying.

Not a bad field overall but looks like you landed in the punji sticks a few times.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

I managed to get out without any damage other than the two fins popping off the SNP. Since it's an almost RTF bird, I can forgive that. Probably my fault for using the smaller chute. Mike's Optima was a different matter. That hurt to look at it.

I miss being SAM 0058