Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Apollo Nut

Default Early T-Bird Plans

Attached is the full scan of the T-Bird plans posted earlier. These are in two parts....I did not attempt to 'weave' together into one document. The original instructions are larger than my scanner bed.

Since these plans date to about 1965, motor designations are English.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  T-Bird Plans1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  362.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  T-Bird Plans 2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  371.2 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Attached is the full scan of the T-Bird plans posted earlier. These are in two parts....I did not attempt to 'weave' together into one document. The original instructions are larger than my scanner bed.

Since these plans date to about 1965, motor designations are English.

Earl

Thanks Earl!

S.
SAM #0031
Old 04-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default improve fit of HTC-10 couplers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
So, had a little time tonight in between watching sap boil, so put together the motor mount of the 2nd stage.

The HTC-10 couplers are a very loose fit in the ST-10 tubes, and will require some tape for a good fit.

First pic, all the parts for 2nd stage. Second pic, partially completed 2nd stage. Last pic, completed 1st & 2nd stage motor tubes, along with a C11-0.

Looking very nice so far, Paul.
Just a thought, what do you think about using a Q-tip and lightly coat the exposed portions and ends of the HTC-10 couplers with super thin CA, then light sand if needed? This will also toughen up those HTC-10 couplers and provide for a less loose fit.

Larry B
Old 04-11-2014, 08:03 PM
BAR

More progress on the T-Bird, while I procrastinate on my large project. First, the motor mount for the sustainer. The only modification from stock here is the addition of kevlar; This should help packing the recovery stuff in this rather short tube, and of course aid replacing the shock cord, in the unlikely event I recover it often enough. I peeled 3/4" of glassine off the ST-7, the 2nd stage coupler was way too tight. Now it's nicely snug.

Then, the fins on the 1st stage, using a template from payloadbay. Lastly, bare metal foil (chrome) on the payload tube, in lieu of clear CPT-10, with vent holes for a small altimeter.

Next, I'll need to decide whether to add the strakes on the 2nd & 3rd stages.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  P4091426.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  69.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P4091427.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  68.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  P4111428.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  63.6 KB  
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 04-11-2014, 10:25 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Then, the fins on the 1st stage, using a template from payloadbay. Lastly, bare metal foil (chrome) on the payload tube, in lieu of clear CPT-10, with vent holes for a small altimeter.
Next, I'll need to decide whether to add the strakes on the 2nd & 3rd stages.

I like the chrome in place of the clear tube. It gives the feeling of a clear tube.
I'd add the strakes, sort of like the T-Bird that never existed.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
I peeled 3/4" of glassine off the ST-7, the 2nd stage coupler was way too tight. Now it's nicely snug.

My experience has been that the Semroc passport stage couplers are pretty snug on their ST-7 tubing. That's ok for the lower stage that the passport coupler is typically glued to, but not so good for the ST-7 tubing of the stage above it that it should fit over, as you say, 'nicely snug'.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Master Modeler

Paul,
Do you have the cut outs from the Semroc fins? Since each one sheet has a fin from all 3 stages, you have a pattern for all the fins. I tried ordering tense from Semroc but could did get there in time. Any chance you might part with one if you still have it? Btw, a scan doesn't help me because I have no printer (currently). I'll pay for postage.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
Paul,
Do you have the cut outs from the Semroc fins? Since each one sheet has a fin from all 3 stages, you have a pattern for all the fins. I tried ordering tense from Semroc but could did get there in time. Any chance you might part with one if you still have it? Btw, a scan doesn't help me because I have no printer (currently). I'll pay for postage.
Hmm, thought I had tossed them, but found 2 of the 3 (they're all identical). PM me your address and I'll send them to you, don't worry about the postage.

FWIW, this project is moving along slowly; Spring weather tends to keep me out of the basement. Assembly is complete, I'm on my 4th coat of aero gloss for the fins, after sanding down the first 3 coats.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:58 PM
BAR

Smile Nearly Done!

So, summer has been more flying, and very little building, though I've kept working on the T-Bird here and there. Guess I lost track of documenting the build, but I think all the interesting details have already been covered. The rest of the build was standard stuff, gluing on fins, fillets, at least 4 coats of aerogloss on all balsa (I lost count with large gaps of inactivity), grey primer, sand, white gloss base coat, fluorescent orange top coat, gloss clear coat, lastly mask & paint 2 black fins on each stage. The black/orange is all about visibility, the fields we launch in are generally uncut, and the weeds get really tall this time of year. I decided to add strakes, mostly since I was used to seeing them in the catalogs, and looks *right* to me; I simply eyeballed 4 small triangles per stage and sanded to match.

It was a small surprise that the outboard edge of the sustainer fins hang just a bit lower than the top of the 2nd stage, such that all 3 stages can't be aligned, so I'll need to interdigitate at least the top 2 stages. It isn't clear from photos if this is the intent or not; I *think* all my BT lengths were correct, and the fins were attached even with the bottom edge of each BT.

The only thing left is a checkerboard decal for the sustainer; My luck with decal paper lately has been dismal, so perhaps I'll see what I can get from Gordy, might be tricky to get one scaled properly for ST-10.

Oh yeah, and it still needs a launch lug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  PaulsTbird.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  69.8 KB  
Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Nice build Paul. Your T-Bird clone looks really nice.

Larry B