Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Almost shovel ready

Old 09-28-2014, 01:13 PM
Out to launch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaBrewer
There's really only 7-8 people (out of the 200+ members) who do EVERYTHING for the club. If you don't like how things are being handled, you are more than welcome to volunteer to take over the task. As with any volunteer run operation, we all have commitments to other things which are often in direct conflict with rocket activities.

I sent a request out at the start of the month for people willing to haul the equipment. I got a total of ZERO responses. The second request also got no response. It wasn't until the launch was threatened with cancellation that we got a couple of people to respond. If I had several volunteers and just screwed around and didn't get the logistics handled, I think the complaints would be valid.

We've managed to have HP launches 5 of the last 6 months (June was scrubbed due to winds). Since it appears this is too much for the club to support, logistically, I'm going to recommend we move to bi-monthly or quarterly HP launches. The other option would be to have the HP launches become a "bring your own equipment" affair.

Another option is this: We can get the necessary gear to the field without a truck. This would require 3-4 people willing to haul equipment in their car/minvan/other. All of the equipment is designed to fit in the truck of a small car, so this is quite possible. The problem here is, I again got ZERO responses to this request.

Hauling the trailer is an all day job. To get the trailer to the field by 9, you've got to pick it up by 8. Then you don't get it dropped back off until about 6. Add in how long it takes to get from your house to Jack's, and you've signed up for a solid 12 hour day. Not many people are willing to give up an entire Saturday for a job that people only gripe about when it doesn't happen.

As for renting a truck, the costs would be prohibitive. You pay the normal daily rate plus mileage, extra insurance, etc. I think expecting the club to pay that if none of the members with a truck (of which there are plenty) will step up is a huge stretch. However, if you'd like to foot that bill, I'll gladly accept.

Frankly, this discussion really irks me. People griped that we didn't have a HP field. Now that we do (THANK YOU, TED), we can't get support from club members to make the HP launches happen without drama. But for people to just complain without trying to be a part of a solution is utter crap.

Yup, yup, yup, yup, and yup! If you're not helping the organization, you have no room to bitch.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin

Got your message. We'll make this work.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf

BUT, I just looked at their website and see that the high power launch is on, and the page was last updated at 7:00 AM CST. I even checked the page info to see....so.... I don't see what your beef is with these people.

Based upon your observation I went to the DARS website via several search engines other than Google Chrome. I tried MSN, Bing, Yahoo and the original Google and was able to see and read the same posting that you noted.

But today and just moments ago, I visited the DARS site via Chrome and guess what? The erroneous data still shows up!

Wolfram, what search engine did you use to visit DARS?
Old 09-29-2014, 10:49 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaBrewer
There's really only 7-8 people (out of the 200+ members) who do EVERYTHING for the club. If you don't like how things are being handled, you are more than welcome to volunteer to take over the task. As with any volunteer run operation, we all have commitments to other things which are often in direct conflict with rocket activities.

I sent a request out at the start of the month for people willing to haul the equipment. I got a total of ZERO responses. The second request also got no response. It wasn't until the launch was threatened with cancellation that we got a couple of people to respond. If I had several volunteers and just screwed around and didn't get the logistics handled, I think the complaints would be valid.

We've managed to have HP launches 5 of the last 6 months (June was scrubbed due to winds). Since it appears this is too much for the club to support, logistically, I'm going to recommend we move to bi-monthly or quarterly HP launches. The other option would be to have the HP launches become a "bring your own equipment" affair.

Another option is this: We can get the necessary gear to the field without a truck. This would require 3-4 people willing to haul equipment in their car/minvan/other. All of the equipment is designed to fit in the truck of a small car, so this is quite possible. The problem here is, I again got ZERO responses to this request.

Hauling the trailer is an all day job. To get the trailer to the field by 9, you've got to pick it up by 8. Then you don't get it dropped back off until about 6. Add in how long it takes to get from your house to Jack's, and you've signed up for a solid 12 hour day. Not many people are willing to give up an entire Saturday for a job that people only gripe about when it doesn't happen.

As for renting a truck, the costs would be prohibitive. You pay the normal daily rate plus mileage, extra insurance, etc. I think expecting the club to pay that if none of the members with a truck (of which there are plenty) will step up is a huge stretch. However, if you'd like to foot that bill, I'll gladly accept.

Frankly, this discussion really irks me. People griped that we didn't have a HP field. Now that we do (THANK YOU, TED), we can't get support from club members to make the HP launches happen without drama. But for people to just complain without trying to be a part of a solution is utter crap.

Agree completely...

Folks REALLY need to start supporting their club VOLUNTEERS... Yet I've seen it as well-- the word goes forth that help is needed, and NOBODY will step forward... then the INCESSANT WHINING starts from folks griping that the launches aren't coming off...

I've seen clubs implode and collapse because of stuff like this. My advice is, if you don't like the fact that something isn't coming off as planned, GET INVOLVED... Lend a hand, some support, use your vehicle or pay for gas for someone in the club wanting to go to the launch with you who has a bigger vehicle or pickup, etc... FIND A WAY.

Yeah, it means putting yourself out some. It means stretching a little and PUTTING A LITTLE EFFORT into it, instead of just "sniping from the peanut gallery"...

Basically, I've found that a LOT of people are willing to WHINE about stuff, but VERY VERY FEW are willing to take on some RESPONSIBILITY and actually WORK TO GET STUFF DONE. I've seen it myself.

"Many hands make light work"... it's not just a cute saying, it should be every clubs motto! If you don't appreciate and help and SUPPORT your volunteers, you'll find your volunteer WORKERS burning out and quitting, and THEN where will you be??

Heck, I've got two farms being used by different clubs for launches, and it sticks in my craw when people start whining about HOW FAR THE DRIVE IS (we're ONLY 45 miles from downtown Houston for pity's sake... granted the other farm is 100 miles west of here, but nobody has flown out there in a couple years or so). 87 acres of mostly treeless pasture, open for the using pretty much anytime (weather permitting) and rocket nirvana compared to the dinky tree, pond, asphalt, and soccer hooligan infested park they were flying from before, but still someone will find SOMETHING to whine about regardless...

None of this is aimed at Ted, BTW... he's done his part finding a new field for HPR launches from the sound of it... now some OTHER FOLKS need to GET OFF THEIR BUTT and lend a hand to make things happen!

Later! OL JR
Old 09-29-2014, 11:10 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Wolfram, what search engine did you use to visit DARS?

Google
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Born Late Rocketeer

Quote:
But today and just moments ago, I visited the DARS site via Chrome and guess what? The erroneous data still shows up!

I use Chrome, and I get the updated page. The problem is likely to be on your computer, specifically in your Chrome data cache.

Try going to that page in Chrome and forcing a page reload (it's shift-command-R on a Mac, I think it's ctrl-F5 on Windows).

If that doesn't bring up the current page version, you might need to clear your browser cache. This might help: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95582?hl=en

Also I'm confused: "Google Chrome" is a web browser, not a search engine. What do you mean by "Google Chrome" as opposed to "Original Google"?
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Old 09-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Google

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:42 AM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Holmes
I use Chrome, and I get the updated page. The problem is likely to be on your computer, specifically in your Chrome data cache.

Try going to that page in Chrome and forcing a page reload (it's shift-command-R on a Mac, I think it's ctrl-F5 on Windows).

If that doesn't bring up the current page version, you might need to clear your browser cache. This might help: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95582?hl=en

Also I'm confused: "Google Chrome" is a web browser, not a search engine. What do you mean by "Google Chrome" as opposed to "Original Google"?

I will give your suggestion a try and let you know if it works. Thanks!

As for "web browser" vs "search engine" I suppose it means I don't know Jack Spit about computer lingo! Nothing new there. What's the difference and who do I call to get a pizza delivered?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
I will give your suggestion a try and let you know if it works. Thanks!

As for "web browser" vs "search engine" I suppose it means I don't know Jack Spit about computer lingo! Nothing new there. What's the difference and who do I call to get a pizza delivered?

Control/F-5 worked like a charm. Thanks!
Now, if I could only remember where I put my sunglasses?