Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
Here's what I got by scaling dimensions from the photos posted by Earl and Carl...by my ciphering the LIA-100 is about 1.105 times larger than the LIA-77. If somebody can supply me real dimensions, I can fine tune the cad models. I scaled the deflector by the same amount...

This sorta looks like snaquin's photo size-wise

edit: corrected name of photo poster

David-

Here's a quick tracing of a leg and the top plate.

One dimension is provided on the top plate side, and I have also provided a "1 inch scale" on the side of the page. The 'black dots' are the drilled holes in the top plate.

This was done super-quick, as I'm at home recovering from a bad upper respiratory infection, but hopefully will be enough data to let you do an accurate comparison between the two. My impression is the LIA-100 is a bit bigger than the 77 than the figure you posted, but hopefully with this data, we'll know pretty much for sure.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LIA-100 Legs Top Plate.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  135.1 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-25-2015, 04:01 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
David-

One dimension is provided on the top plate side, and I have also provided a "1 inch scale" on the side of the page. The 'black dots' are the drilled holes in the top plate.

This was done super-quick, as I'm at home recovering from a bad upper respiratory infection, but hopefully will be enough data to let you do an accurate comparison between the two. My impression is the LIA-100 is a bit bigger than the 77 than the figure you posted, but hopefully with this data, we'll know pretty much for sure.

Earl

Hope you get better! I had a bad URI last year that really knocked me for a loop...I had not been sick in years so I was really wiped out! PTL for "Z" packs!!

this is the LIA-100 tracing, correct?
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 02-25-2015, 04:15 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
Hope you get better! I had a bad URI last year that really knocked me for a loop...I had not been sick in years so I was really wiped out! PTL for "Z" packs!!

this is the LIA-100 tracing, correct?

Thanks for the well-wishes. I'm sure my asthma is not helping, though I'm generally fairly symptom free with my asthma. I guess this virus has aggravated it though.

Yes, this is the LIA-100 tracing. I traced it all on one single piece of 8.5 x 11 paper, hence the leg done in two pieces to fit on the one page. Also, scanned at 72dpi, so the resolution is not very high, but should be enough graphic info to derive the needed dimensions.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 02-26-2015, 12:56 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
That Dart on the far right looks like mine after the E9-8 CATO in Muncie a few years back.
LOVE this pic, btw. The vintage shots are great. Wish I had more than a crappy screen capture of mine.

That was a clone Mach-1 Dart and Booster I built to use 21mm FSI stuff. I built a few of those and I think those were the last two that I did build. I belive it was an E5-6 that did it in with a D18-0 Booster. It cruise missiled across a four lane highway into an asphalt parking lot on the other side of the highway a pretty good distance away. Results weren't pretty but it was pretty cool to watch!

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 02-26-2015, 01:03 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Steve-

Thanks for the photo. They are definitely two Centuri pads, but it is hard to tell exactly what size they are. Like you say, could be two LIA-77s.

Don't go through any heroics, but if you do manage to reach the range box and can check, that would verify it for sure.

I still have my all-metal FSI pad I got back in the late 80s when I was first getting into high power, but we later built some larger custom stainless pads for 3/8 and half inch rods, so the FSI pad went unused after that. It was a sturdy one also. I have recently picked up a few old FSI kits (including a couple of the Black Brants), so I will need to dig that FSI pad out when I finally get around to building and flying one of those. I was always impressed by that Black Brant liftoff photo in the old FSI catalogs that I first got back in the latter 70s.

Earl

I still have my LP-2 3/16" and LP-2B 1/4" FSI metal pads. They are in storage at my friends house along with my EC102 launch controller. That controller was a trip. With an FSI electric match as soon as you plugged the cable into the hand held part of the controller the electric match would ignite immediately without pushing the button! I seem to remember a warning in the electric match kit about that ...

I will see if I can get that box pulled down from the attic this weekend and see what't in it. It's been in storage for 7 - 8 years since my last move but I do remember keeping all my blast deflectors in that box.

I also liked the fact that with the legs folded in that both my pads could also be transported inside the box, the smaller metal pad settled inside the legs of the larger pad.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 02-26-2015, 08:40 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Thanks for the well-wishes. I'm sure my asthma is not helping, though I'm generally fairly symptom free with my asthma. I guess this virus has aggravated it though.

Yes, this is the LIA-100 tracing. I traced it all on one single piece of 8.5 x 11 paper, hence the leg done in two pieces to fit on the one page. Also, scanned at 72dpi, so the resolution is not very high, but should be enough graphic info to derive the needed dimensions.

Earl

Ok here is the updated comparison. They didn't consistently scale the legs with the base plate, so the LIA-100 does stand taller than the LIA-77. The deflector appears it is scaled along the lines of the base plate (about 1.12X), but that is just a SWAG on my part (based on the catalog images).

edit: added the catalog bit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  CenturiLIA-77_100_03.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  72.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CenturiLIA-77_100_01.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  62.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CenturiLIA-77_100_02.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  67.4 KB  
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 02-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Apollo Nut

David-

Ahhh....pretty neat! Thanks for the comparison graphics. That looks about right from one photo in the Centuri catalog that has the Saturn V and Saturn 1b in one photo (I think the photo was in the '69 through '71 catalogs).

I have assembled one of my 77s, but have never fully assembled the 100.....the hardware is still sealed in bags.

Either one is a pretty stable launcher.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
David-

Ahhh....pretty neat! Thanks for the comparison graphics. That looks about right from one photo in the Centuri catalog that has the Saturn V and Saturn 1b in one photo (I think the photo was in the '69 through '71 catalogs).

I have assembled one of my 77s, but have never fully assembled the 100.....the hardware is still sealed in bags.

Either one is a pretty stable launcher.

Earl

I used my 77 a bunch...I think one of the legs split through the bolt holes along the plies, after many assembly/disassembly cycles. It is an elegant looking thing, isn't it?
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 03-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
David-

Earl

Hi Earl,
Thanks for posting your line drawing of the Centuri LIA-100 leg and base.
I thought I had a scan saved of the original Centuri LIA-100 instruction sheet, but I can't seem to find it if I actually did scan it. So, I'm going to have to re-scan it again and upload it.
Since my LIA-100 is painted: Legs flourescent Red and the Base flat black, I'm trying to remember what the actual legs were. I think the legs were Pine or Poplar. I know the base was 1/4" Masonite Hard Board.

Regards,
Larry B
Old 03-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate
Hi Earl,
Thanks for posting your line drawing of the Centuri LIA-100 leg and base.
I thought I had a scan saved of the original Centuri LIA-100 instruction sheet, but I can't seem to find it if I actually did scan it. So, I'm going to have to re-scan it again and upload it.
Since my LIA-100 is painted: Legs flourescent Red and the Base flat black, I'm trying to remember what the actual legs were. I think the legs were Pine or Poplar. I know the base was 1/4" Masonite Hard Board.

Regards,
Larry B

Larry-

Thanks for the post.....I actually have a complete LIA-100 and the instructions are scanned and posted in my first message of this thread.

In that first message, I was asking if anyone had the larger blast deflector that came with that launcher, as my LIA-100 came with the smaller deflector used on the LIA-77. I think Centuri may have used the same deflector for both launchers in their latter years, but I would really like to find an original larger deflector for my LIA-100 or someone who has one who can provide photos and dimensions of one.

Does your LIA-100 have the larger deflector by chance? Would be great if you can post photos/measurements if you do.

Thanks,

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions