Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2007, 02:45 PM
GET GOONY!!

I was digging though my Citation stuff last night, and I see I have a chrome Quasar that is complete except it is missing the chrome nosecone.

Does anyone have a chromed Quasar nosecone in their partsbox I could buy... or trade for decals?

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
I was digging though my Citation stuff last night, and I see I have a chrome Quasar that is complete except it is missing the chrome nosecone.

Does anyone have a chromed Quasar nosecone in their partsbox I could buy... or trade for decals?

Phred

If you can't find an original, you may want to consider having an Alpha III nose chromed. The folks at Chrome Tech USA could probably do it. I haven't done business with them, but I do know that they've been around a while.

Chrome Tech USA

Mike Fields
Old 02-21-2007, 04:04 PM
GET GOONY!!

I have contacted Chrome Tech in the past. It would cost $40-50 to chrome a fin unit and cone!

PH

GET GOONY!!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:12 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar
If you can't find an original, you may want to consider having an Alpha III nose chromed. The folks at Chrome Tech USA could probably do it. I haven't done business with them, but I do know that they've been around a while.

Chrome Tech USA

Mike Fields

Try contacting a local jeweler. Many, if not most, know how to electroplate items. Plastic can be electroplated, but it has to be "painted" first with a special coating to make it conductive. The paint isn't cheap. Neither are the electrodes used to supply the chrome. A quote of $40 sounds about right, if maybe low.

A can of Plasticote Chrome is a lot less expensive, and actually produces a good result if care is taken...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
In earliest versions, the motors came with not only the starter sets, but also with the model kits themselves.

Fred

Except out here in California. The Citation kits came without motors and there was a special sticker over the picture of the motors on the side of the box.

This was before the change in the fireworks code. Back then, you had to have a permit to buy ANY model rocket motors and they had to be purchased by an adult.

Bob
Old 02-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
I have contacted Chrome Tech in the past. It would cost $40-50 to chrome a fin unit and cone!

PH

That makes no sense. You can buy a whole Chrome Dome kit for less than $10. I realize there's an economy-of-scale thing going on with production rocket kits, but that's a HUGE cost difference. Maybe Chrome Tech needs to look at their efficiency.

Mike Fields
Old 02-22-2007, 10:08 AM
GET GOONY!!

Chrome Tech is a "Fred in the shed" type of operation, much like my own decal company. I have dealt with them for years, and his quality is excellent. His 'bread and butter' is the rechroming of model car bumpers from old kits, and a model rocket nosecon or tailcone is a relatively gigantic part to chrome compared to his regular fare. Basically I got the impression that his quote had the "I do not want to do this job, but I will if you pay through the nose for it" sort of ring to it....

Oh well.

That is why I am now searching for a forlorn Quasar nosecone.....

Fred

GET GOONY!!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:33 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Citation was indeed a separate line of rockets intended to be sold in department stores. Estes was getting some pressure from new market entrant MPC who sold boxed kits into the same stores that sold their plastic model kits. It was only natural that Estes would want to get into those same stores, and those stores would not put up with bagged kits. So a separate line was created. The rockets in the line were generally more colorful than previous Estes models, and the engine codes were simplified for the presumably less sophisticated department store customer.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...1/71citcat.html

It should be noted that MPC also introduced blister pack packaging to rocketry, which Estes eventually went to many years later. Before that, Estes' retail packaging for their motor was the same ol' blue mailing tube we got in our mail boxes. They eventually switched to the "diamond" tube, that was slightly more retailer-friendly (Retail Centuri motors, and the Estes Citation motors, were sold in boxes).

When I look at the Citation catalog and the pictures of the boxed kits, the first thing that comes to my mind is "special holiday gift-giving packaging." That impression is strengthened by the fact that they were distributed to department stores. (I don't know, they probably found their way onto the shelves of big toy stores like FAO Schwartz, too.) And then, the fact that they only had a short run suggests to me that they were put together for one holiday season, maybe two. The silver/gold/black theme in the catalog, packaging and even on some of the rockets themselves also suggests Christmas/Hannukah. And then there is the fact that they were put together in all-in-one packages, similar to the way that starter sets are packaged today. The simplified labeling also fits this scenario; the labeling isn't for the intended recipient - it is for the parent/gift giver who is buying the package with the intention of making it a gift. Such marketing techniques are quite common - you see many producers put out boxed sets of their products every year for gift-giving. They do this to make the product look appealing in the store shelves, to make it easy to wrap (which adds another element to the product's appeal to a buyer) and to make it look impressive when it is unwrapped. It is not unusual for a manufacturer of toys/consumer goods/etc. to mount a big campaign like the Citation line for just one holiday season; such companies plan their whole marketing year around that one quarter. One successful holiday season has a huge impact on such a company's bottom line for the entire year, and makes it more attractive to investors in the following year. The fact that the Citation line came and went so fast may have been entirely deliberate.

Mark Kulka
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 02-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

The Estes Citation line (Along with the Centuri Stellar series) were an attempt to distribute/sell model rockets through more mainstream channels. This required the use of more colorful packaging.

Had the mainstream department store sales of the Citation line been successful, it would have continued and had additional products added to the line (Probably ).

It was an idea that never caught on. The remaining kit parts were repackaged in bags and the kits sold through the standard hobby channels for many years. The kits did see changes in colors and components until each one was discontinued.

While they definately would have made a nice Christmas present, I think Damon would have been happy if the kits sold in even half the quantity they were hoping!

Bob
Old 02-27-2007, 04:56 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
The Estes Citation line (Along with the Centuri Stellar series) were an attempt to distribute/sell model rockets through more mainstream channels. This required the use of more colorful packaging.

Had the mainstream department store sales of the Citation line been successful, it would have continued and had additional products added to the line (Probably ).

It was an idea that never caught on. The remaining kit parts were repackaged in bags and the kits sold through the standard hobby channels for many years. The kits did see changes in colors and components until each one was discontinued.

While they definately would have made a nice Christmas present, I think Damon would have been happy if the kits sold in even half the quantity they were hoping!

Bob

And you know that this is true because...?

MK
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011