Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Level 3

SLS or Orion
Old 09-16-2015, 11:06 AM
frustrated aero

A guy on nasaspaceflight forum posted a link to this NASA update...some really neat pictures for modelers (note this was in the open forum, not their "L2" subscription forum, so it is for public viewing) It is a 39.5 MB file. If you want to stay on top of this beast, that forum is a really good source of space news...

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...ly-28_Final.pdf
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 09-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
...The first (Orion 3) picture shows my 1/100th scale Orion Shroud and escape tower compared to the Apollo Capsule and tower...

The Orion sure will be easier to model than the Apollo since the LAS is solid. Even I could do it!

Hopefully.

Last edited by Joe Shockcord : 09-16-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shockcord
The Orion sure will be easier to model than the Apollo since the LAS is solid. Even I could do it!

Hopefully.

Yep! All I used was a wood dowel turned to the correct size.

One dowel tip.

Lately all the hardware stores and big box stores are carrying wood dowels made in the USA.

Now this seems like a good thing and it is but...for turning and splitting, like using a 1/2 dowel for a wire raceway conduit, the Chinese dowels from Hobby Lobby are better.

They are made of such "crappy" wood that they are much easier to split in half evenly on a band saw than the USA grown wood.

Question...I talked to Tim at NASA Langley (he's a member here) about the fairing over the Orion Capsule.

Does anybody besides me and Tim know the reason there is a fairing over the Orion Capsule but not on the Orion Pad Abort 1?

The correct answer is a bit more complex than you might imagine.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 09-17-2015, 12:42 PM
frustrated aero

Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 09-17-2015, 01:18 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

SLS is this country's next boondoggle designed to continue employing existing infrastructure, independent of need or value.

This country (congress) believes in maintaining manufacturing infrastructure of specific defense industries at whatever cost must be born.

Fine, all I ask is we employ it smartly instead! Not "Managed by congress".
Old 09-17-2015, 01:55 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
SLS is this country's next boondoggle designed to continue employing existing infrastructure, independent of need or value.

This country (congress) believes in maintaining manufacturing infrastructure of specific defense industries at whatever cost must be born.

I don't care!

In terms of this forum, I glad we have something new to model!

And that's all!

As much as I absolutely LOVE everything about the Apollo program it is over 50 years old.

Now my hope is, in 2017 when the new Orion Abort Test Booster is revealed, I really hope Orbital Sciences decides to put some fins on it...and...rename it , Little Joe III !

Orion Abort Test Booster doesn't quite roll off the lips right.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 09-17-2015, 03:14 PM
frustrated aero

Default How Little Joe I got its name...

I bought a copy of “This New Ocean, the History of Project Mercury” for my kindle, and discovered it's available on NASA!! http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4201/toc.htm

just read this … funny!

Quote:
Informed that the Atlas prime movers would cost approximately $2.5 million each and that even the Redstone would cost about $1million per launching, the managers of the manned satellite project recognized from the start that the numerous early test flights would have to be accomplished by a far less expensive booster system. In fact, as early as January 1958 Faget and Purser had worked out in considerable detail on paper how to cluster four of the solid-fuel Sergeant rockets, in standard use by PARD at Wallops Island, to boost a manned nose cone above the stratosphere. Faget's short-lived "High Ride" proposal had suffered from comparisons with "Project Adam" at that time, but in August 1958 William Bland and Ronald Kolenkiewicz had returned to their preliminary designs for a cheap cluster of solid rockets to boost full-scale and full-weight model capsules above the atmosphere. As drop tests of boilerplate capsules provided new aerodynamic data on the dynamic stability of the configuration in free-fall, the need for comparable data quickly on the powered phase became apparent. So in October a team of Bland, Kolenkiewicz, Caldwell Johnson, Clarence T. Brown, and F. E. Mershon prepared new engineering layouts and estimates for the mechanical design of the booster structure and a suitable launcher.

As the blueprints for this cluster of four rockets began to emerge from their drawing boards, the designers' nickname for their project gradually was adopted. Since their first cross-section drawings showed four holes up, they called the project "Little Joe," from the crap-game throw of a double deuce on the dice. Although four smaller circles were added later to represent the addition of Recruit rocket motors, the original name stuck. The appearance on engineering drawings of the four large stabilizing fins protruding from its airframe also helped to perpetuate the name Little Joe had acquired.
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 09-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Oh.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:01 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine

Yeah, I'm with you Jerry...

But it is nice to have something else to model... can't have too many prototypes, even if they aren't particularly practical, have no mission defined, and will be THE most expensive launch system ever developed, and will likely be cancellation fodder before its ever fielded...

Later! OL JR