Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2015, 11:09 PM
Master Modeler

Default Star Wars Electron Beam?

I didn't know there was such a thing as a Star Wars imprinted Electron Beam launch controller until I came across one on eBay the other day. I don't see 'em in catalogs either.

Is there anyone here who's familiar with them?

Added: just found an R2D2 launch set on eBay with a picture of the back of the box, showing such an E-B. Well, at least I know where they came from now.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3610 copy.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  97.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 9.25.12 PM.png
Views: 75
Size:  371.5 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 09-16-2015 at 11:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-17-2015, 01:53 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I didn't know there was such a thing as a Star Wars imprinted Electron Beam launch controller until I came across one on eBay the other day. I don't see 'em in catalogs either.

Is there anyone here who's familiar with them?

Added: just found an R2D2 launch set on eBay with a picture of the back of the box, showing such an E-B. Well, at least I know where they came from now.....

I bought many of the Star Wars starter sets when K-Bee and other outlets were having a fire sale on those products.

My favorite of the Estes Star Wars launch controllers is the R2-D2 unit using a 9v battery. It came with the mini-R2-D2 starter set. That mini-R2D2 flew great on A4-4T and A10-3T motors.

I am going to have to dig those items out.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Master Modeler

Bob,

When doing more eBay "research" last night I came across these as well. I've found two such starter sets - one with R2D2 as the rocket and one with a Naboo fighter as the rocket. There are more of the latter available and for less money. But still they are being offered for fairly low prices.

I wonder if that R2D2 launch controller is the first Estes launch controller that uses a 9V battery. Up until last night I thought that the current Astron II controller was it and that all handheld controllers prior used AA or larger cells. (Well, I suppose the one that used the PolaPulse batteries are kind of a special case.)

I also have found no mention of these Star Wars Episode 1 sets in any of the posted Estes catalogs. I guess that's an artifact of the "toy company" mind set of the prior Estes Industries ownership.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Bob,

When doing more eBay "research" last night I came across these as well. I've found two such starter sets - one with R2D2 as the rocket and one with a Naboo fighter as the rocket. There are more of the latter available and for less money. But still they are being offered for fairly low prices.

I wonder if that R2D2 launch controller is the first Estes launch controller that uses a 9V battery. Up until last night I thought that the current Astron II controller was it and that all handheld controllers prior used AA or larger cells. (Well, I suppose the one that used the PolaPulse batteries are kind of a special case.)

I also have found no mention of these Star Wars Episode 1 sets in any of the posted Estes catalogs. I guess that's an artifact of the "toy company" mind set of the prior Estes Industries ownership.....

I also have the mini-Naboo fighter starter set

I think the R2-D2 launch controller was the first such unit released by Estes.

I picked up so much of the Estes Star Wars Episode One product at close-out prices that it was crazy. I picked up the larger X-Wing/Y-Wing/etc. starter sets for less than the cost of the three C6-3 motors alone in the sets would cost today.

The whole Star Wars Episode One product line was a fiasco for Estes. The contract with Lucasfilm guaranteed a specific amount of revenue to the company for the exclusive rights Estes received. Sales never reached expectations and it was dragging down Estes. There was an 'out' in the contract with Lucasfilm and Estes took it.

Only cost Estes $17M.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Master Modeler

I bought a half-dozen of those sets and gave them to friends when I had to pack up and move to Oregon.

As noted, they were a good way to stock up on launchers and motors.

Only one friend actually built & launched the models. He actually waited until I visited for the launch; hasn't flown since. His kids aren't into models I guess.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 09-17-2015, 05:48 PM
Master Modeler

Wow - interesting history lesson about our hobby during a period when I was completely out of touch. I just bought the R2D2 set I saw on eBay. Still not that bad at $23 shipped.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Master Modeler

The only auctions I have been able to win on Ebay so far (not that I have bid on many) have been for a X-wing fighter and a Y wing fighter. I believe the Y-wing fighter came with the described "Star Wars" Electron Beam. I have it set aside as I do not need an additional controller at this time.

The set also had a unique parachute with a Star Wars Motif, also set aside for posterity.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:51 PM
Master Modeler

Here's one of those older, Electron Beam sets with R2D2. I'd have pulled the handle on the "buy it now" but the shipping is kinda overpriced: http://www.ebay.com/itm/32185861124...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-20-2016, 07:53 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default R2D2 launch controller speaker

Seeing as this thread has several people of estes/star wars persuasion, I've a related question.

I've got one of the R2D2-shaped launch controllers, and it proudly sports a speaker grille on the back, and a plastic insert inside that would hold a piezo speaker or similar in place. But no speaker, and no evidence on the PCB that there would be any point in having one. Did estes do a funky, posh version which bleeped or buzzed, and then make a cheap-ass version later when they got lazy, or was it just evidence of a planned feature that came to nothing, but too late to change the moulds ?
Old 02-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Wow - interesting history lesson about our hobby during a period when I was completely out of touch...

Same here. I have several of the old EB controllers I have inherited with yard sale hauls, including a couple of this Star Wars version. It's a shame that Estes used vinyl coated wire with incompatible styrene cases, because people would inevitably wrap the wire around the case and leave deep, uncomfortable dents in the plastic. I usually salvage the usable parts and toss those cases.

Related question: In one such yard sale haul, I got a couple of little black plastic caps in the box. I initially thought they were LEGO Darth Vader helmets until I noticed they fit perfectly over the light bulb on EB controllers. Did these caps come with the Star Wars controllers or something else? I use one to protect the bulb on my older yellow EB controller when it's stored in the range box.