Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2016, 01:32 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
By the time the new FSI finally got a hold of what was left of the old FSI, anything of real value was already gone. Quest got any still working motor making machines. The rights to all of FSI's kits went to someone else - Semroc, I think. What was left was junk motor making stuff, boxes of old cardboard tubes and balsa parts, and who knows what else. I heard it wasn't stored very well. Not exactly a turn-key operation. In hindsight, the grand announcement seems more like an announcement of "we got all the old FSI stuff, wow!"
I'm sorry to hear that. If the balsa nose cones are okay (they might have swelled, like my MPC kits' ones did--maybe the hardwood nose cones and hardwood fins fared better in storage?), perhaps the new Semroc could buy them and get new tubes for them, and produce those kits. I never bought or flew any of the old FSI's kits, but I liked what I saw in their catalogs because their kits and equipment were like those of the early years of Estes. But as with Lawrence (in Reply #16), the local availability of standard-size Estes motors (which fit and worked fine in my mail-ordered Centuri kits), plus my very limited budget back then, made the oddball FSI motors (and their corresponding kits) not attractive enough to try out.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 02-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
....perhaps the new Semroc could buy them and get new tubes for them, and produce those kits.

Semroc already has that capability. They already have the tubes, and can crank out nose cones with the nifty CNC balsa shaper that Carl built.

Quote:
I never bought or flew any of the old FSI's kits, but I liked what I saw in their catalogs because their kits and equipment were like those of the early years of Estes. But as with Lawrence (in Reply #16), the local availability of standard-size Estes motors (which fit and worked fine in my mail-ordered Centuri kits), plus my very limited budget back then, made the oddball FSI motors (and their corresponding kits) not attractive enough to try out.

My experience too, though I did squander my hard-earned pay on a small selection of FSI and AVI E and F motors to use for mercury and gemini dual eggloft altitude flying. I thought FSI kits were "weird" because my perceptions were shaped by Estes and Centuri from an early age.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 02-23-2016, 05:35 PM
BAR

Yeah, I think the "weird" sized motors and motor mount tubes in the kits did more to hurt FSI than anything...

There's a good argument for commonality...

Later! OL J R
Old 02-23-2016, 10:05 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Semroc already has that capability. They already have the tubes, and can crank out nose cones with the nifty CNC balsa shaper that Carl built.
I was referring to FSI's hardwood nose cones and hardwood fins (those fins were hobbyist plywood or sheet basswood, I think). Those particular old FSI parts might have survived their less-than-ideal storage conditions unscathed, or at least well enough to be usable.
Quote:
My experience too, though I did squander my hard-earned pay on a small selection of FSI and AVI E and F motors to use for mercury and gemini dual eggloft altitude flying. I thought FSI kits were "weird" because my perceptions were shaped by Estes and Centuri from an early age.
But for the "Buzz Bomb" firework piece (whose readily-available 0.69" diameter tubes were used for the first mass-produced model rocket motors), 13 mm (1/2") diameter motors--which Orville Carlisle made by hand and favored--might have become the standard motor size, with 0.69" (18 mm soft conversion) or perhaps some other size motors being considered "large" ones... :-)
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 02-23-2016, 10:47 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
I was referring to FSI's hardwood nose cones and hardwood fins (those fins were hobbyist plywood or sheet basswood, I think).

Yeah. Semroc has some of the FSI plywood fins in stock. Semroc - 1. New FSI - 0. Hardwood cones? Meh...
Old 02-23-2016, 11:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Yeah. Semroc has some of the FSI plywood fins in stock. Semroc - 1. New FSI - 0. Hardwood cones? Meh...
Good--I just hate to see usable components go to waste. Hardwood nose cones quickly become too heavy as the diameter increases. For smaller rockets (up to BT-50/ST-10 or so), they're nice; they're easier to finish and are more dent-resistant, and for front motor boost-gliders, they can be "used as their own ballast" when needed. A few other companies also made BT-20 to BT-50-ish hardwood nose cones for their kits.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 02-24-2016, 06:58 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Good--I just hate to see usable components go to waste.

The Semroc parts are NEW production. The old original FSI parts are probably mouldering in whatever new storage barn they ended up in. And so what? Would you really want to build a rocket with wood parts that have been poorly-stored for 20-30+ years? And why would or should Semroc buy parts that even the New FSI doesn't want? Randy has a pretty slick rocket part production operation at the eRockets facility. He can cut tubes to size, mill balsa parts, and laser cut fins and centering rings of any sort.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:04 AM
Dazed and Confused

FSI kits were not exclusively hardwood. Some kits used balsa parts. Even the mid-power Black Brant II used a balsa nosecone, boat tail, and fins.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Yeah, I think the "weird" sized motors and motor mount tubes in the kits did more to hurt FSI than anything...

There's a good argument for commonality...

Later! OL J R

Agree. Kinda like the Estes/NCR 28mm motors and motor tubes.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com
Old 02-24-2016, 12:06 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jablonski
Agree. Kinda like the Estes/NCR 28mm motors and motor tubes.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com

Exactly... thought about that too...

At least undersized motors can be "shimmed up" with masking tape to fly in "standard" size motor mounts (like adding a 1/2 mm thick layer of tape to fly a 28mm motor in a 29 mm mount) but when it comes to OVERSIZE motors, or large differences in diameters between the "weird" and "standard" sizes, it becomes impractical or impossible...

Later! OL J R