Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2016, 07:52 PM
TRFugee

You're takinge back to 1975!
Old 05-13-2016, 10:18 AM
Retired Missile Technician

I built a Farside-X back in 2012 for the NARAM-54 Classic Model event. I finished it in the
colors of the model on the back cover of the 1966 catalog. The flourescent orange was a
challenge.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...s66/66estb.html

Pod Bay Door teammate Pat McCarthy had to put the black spiral tape on at NARAM as I managed to slice a finger prior to finishing the model and did not want to get blood on the model. I was not at N-54 so I missed the flight. We won the Team division based on flight points due to three stages.

I had asked Carl McLawhorn about pricing to cut the fins from basswood and he sent them at no charge. It was a lot easier to finish them rather than cut from balsa. Carl was a class act and is greatly missed.

I tried to attach one of the photos from the ones that Chris Taylor took for his naranlive website, but it did not work.

I have enjoyed your build thread.

Chas
Old 05-13-2016, 02:17 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I built a Farside-X back in 2012 for the NARAM-54 Classic Model event. I finished it in the
colors of the model on the back cover of the 1966 catalog. The flourescent orange was a
challenge.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...s66/66estb.html

Pod Bay Door teammate Pat McCarthy had to put the black spiral tape on at NARAM as I managed to slice a finger prior to finishing the model and did not want to get blood on the model. I was not at N-54 so I missed the flight. We won the Team division based on flight points due to three stages.

I had asked Carl McLawhorn about pricing to cut the fins from basswood and he sent them at no charge. It was a lot easier to finish them rather than cut from balsa. Carl was a class act and is greatly missed.

I tried to attach one of the photos from the ones that Chris Taylor took for his naranlive website, but it did not work.

I have enjoyed your build thread.

Chas

See if this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Chas Farside.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  66.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Chas FarsideX-liftoff.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  202.6 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-14-2016, 09:21 AM
Bayourat

Nice! What motor combination did you use?
Old 05-14-2016, 10:06 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Bill - Thank you for posting the pictures. This old computer has seen better daze...

Bayouat - I was not at the NARAM. IRRC, it was C6-0/B6-0/A8-5. Mission points for staging and for carrying an altimeter. Thus bringing the Farside-X into the modern age. Chris Taylor got some wonderful staging pictures. They are at naramlive.com, click on the Mercury Capsule labeled "N54 2012", click NARAM live in the upper left corner, and select the Friday pictures. Those pages have his pics of scale and classic model flights.

Thanks to both of you.

Chas
Charles
Old 05-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Chas,

I remember painting rockets with fluorescent paints, based on Estes' "Fluorescent Phase" in the mid 60s. Funny to look at the 1966 catalog's family picture and most of the rockets have a fluorescent scheme. Some white, yellow, and black here and there, but not a drop of green or blue in any of those builds.

I remember how disappointed I'd be after putting on a pretty decent base coat of white, only to have a really poor fluorescent top coat. But it was easy to see from a distance.

I really want to build a Farside-X after following this thread. Several things for sure:

1. I wlli deviate from the original design and use 2050 centering rings on the motor mounts. I never liked the coupler with paper rings type of mount.

2. It will have a classic paint job of yellow, white, black, with red nose cone. No fluorescents.

3. Sandman Farside-X decals for sure!

4. B14-0 booster motor from my old stash of motors. This may result in building a replacement booster section. Or an entire rocket! Maybe I should build the first booster stage for a C11-0, and get a successful flight before attempting a B14-0 in an 18mm booster stage.

I think I have the transition, but will likely turn my own 60L nose cone. This is going to be fun.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 05-14-2016, 03:58 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Bill - Thank you for posting the pictures. This old computer has seen better daze...

Bayouat - I was not at the NARAM. IRRC, it was C6-0/B6-0/A8-5. Mission points for staging and for carrying an altimeter. Thus bringing the Farside-X into the modern age. Chris Taylor got some wonderful staging pictures. They are at naramlive.com, click on the Mercury Capsule labeled "N54 2012", click NARAM live in the upper left corner, and select the Friday pictures. Those pages have his pics of scale and classic model flights.

Thanks to both of you.

Chas
Charles

Wow, if your computer is worse than this old boat anchor, you're in deep upper-dekker material. My current computer is a laptop that we bought for my son when he was a senior in high school. That was in 2008.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-21-2016, 09:32 PM
Bayourat

Cool

A lot more sanding and priming but I ran out of time and just put the base coast on. White Lacquer. next I'll spray the yellow.

Here is the last coat of primer I did.

Here is the base coat of white lacquer.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Loved the upper-dekker reference from Bill.
I would go with a plain BT50 for the bottom stage to be able to use C11's.
Those are the only readily-available substitute for the obsolete B14 that NOBODY seems to have ANY interest in producing despite numerous requests for them.
I wish they would REDUCE the power of the C11 to just a full-B11 so that one would have a booster capable of lifting some serious weight without having the booster stage almost out-of-sight.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-22-2016, 10:42 AM
Bayourat

Cool

Here is my list of modifications to the original design.
1/8th inch balsa fins on all stages.
Fins not canted as per original design
24mm first stage for use of C11 engine.

Scrapped modifications:
Fully instrumented payload bay with down looking camera mounted in the reducer coupler.

Now the plan is to tape an 808 camera to the outside of the tube looking down to capture staging.