Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-10-2016, 08:04 AM
jetlag jetlag is offline
Old BAR
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe
Is it possible to spray the rocket down with primer and sand that to get a smooth surface?


Sure, it's possible. But that would add a lot of extra weight, I would guess. My thought is to sand as much as you can (or can stand) then use filler/bondo, then prime. The hardest areas to sand are the angles, such as where fins meet surfaces or (especially) where body tubes meet body tubes, like on their Saturn IB. Difficult to get in-between and sand those ridges out smooth.
I use a small dremel flat surface sander to hit the easy-to-get-to sections, elbow grease sanding for other areas, then filler for the rest. Prime, sand, and paint as you like. Decals would be a bit more problematic.
Boyce should sell decal sets (or better yet, include them) with these models. They would sell more, I imagine, then.
Allen
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-11-2016, 11:53 PM
eljefe's Avatar
eljefe eljefe is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: California
Posts: 158
Default

Yes, I was thinking the Saturn IB fuel tanks would present a challenge. The reaction control pods on the service module don't look easy to deal with either.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-17-2016, 06:50 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe
I assume the 3D printing material is much sturdier than typical plastic models.
It's ABS plastic, which is quite tough. His Saturn IB is a reproduction of the Cox RTF one (as are his Little Joe II and Nike-Zeus). I have one of his 3-D printed Cox Nike-Zeus replicas, and while it will require some sanding, I'm pleased with its fidelity and durability. Ditto kudos for his "after market" landing legs and grid fins, which are scale accurizing parts for SpaceX's Falcon 9 and Fairing model rocket kit!
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-03-2016, 11:20 PM
rharshberger rharshberger is offline
Junior Rocketeer
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4
Default

It is the same Boyce's, Alex and Sheree are currently doing a 1/17.5 Mercury Redstone Capsule (aka their 3.90) and a 1/21.8 Mercury Atlas Capsule custom for my 5.38" Loc airframe based Merc Atlas scale model. The sample photos of the custom work that Alex sent me appear to be great and he is also doing the Capsule adapter for me that adapted the Mercury Capsule to the Atlas missle. I thought his prices were quite fair, of course I don't have the products in my hand yet but their (both Boyces') communication via email has been excellent.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-04-2016, 07:02 PM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharshberger
It is the same Boyce's, Alex and Sheree are currently doing a 1/17.5 Mercury Redstone Capsule (aka their 3.90) and a 1/21.8 Mercury Atlas Capsule custom for my 5.38" Loc airframe based Merc Atlas scale model. The sample photos of the custom work that Alex sent me appear to be great and he is also doing the Capsule adapter for me that adapted the Mercury Capsule to the Atlas missle. I thought his prices were quite fair, of course I don't have the products in my hand yet but their (both Boyces') communication via email has been excellent.
Hmmm...If they're also producing the other Atlas parts, it would be easy for them to offer an Atlas D ICBM model, by producing an Atlas D re-entry vehicle at that scale.
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-04-2016, 08:04 PM
rharshberger rharshberger is offline
Junior Rocketeer
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Hmmm...If they're also producing the other Atlas parts, it would be easy for them to offer an Atlas D ICBM model, by producing an Atlas D re-entry vehicle at that scale.


I would contact the Boyce's, from the products page on their website they don't currently produce any Atlas parts, AFAIK the Mercury Atlas Capsule adapter they did for me is the first they have done, and the Merc Atlas Capsule is a reworked 3.90 Merc Redstone model with the correct features and slightly downscaled for my purposes. Hopefully they will add more Atlas parts as I would love to have some of the bits like fittings for oxygen lines, the turbine exhaust tube, vernier motors and stuff. Hmmm, maybe I need to get back in touch with Alex about all those bits.....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-04-2016, 08:39 PM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharshberger
I would contact the Boyce's, from the products page on their website they don't currently produce any Atlas parts, AFAIK the Mercury Atlas Capsule adapter they did for me is the first they have done, and the Merc Atlas Capsule is a reworked 3.90 Merc Redstone model with the correct features and slightly downscaled for my purposes. Hopefully they will add more Atlas parts as I would love to have some of the bits like fittings for oxygen lines, the turbine exhaust tube, vernier motors and stuff. Hmmm, maybe I need to get back in touch with Alex about all those bits.....
From my experience, they sometimes have parts before they're listed on the website (which makes for nice surprises!).
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-22-2017, 10:22 PM
dwmzmm's Avatar
dwmzmm dwmzmm is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 2,290
Default

Boyce Aerospace Hobbies is announcing they're releasing a new Pershing flying model rocket kit: Got this notice in my personal e-mail today (twice, in fact): "Hi, we are excited to be releasing a 1/15th scale Pershing 1A kit, our second BT-80 kit! Just $60.00 Plus Free Shipping! Save $17 from our Ebay price! "
__________________
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.
Section Advisor
Old Rocketeers # 724
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-23-2017, 03:56 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Boyce Aerospace Hobbies is announcing they're releasing a new Pershing flying model rocket kit: Got this notice in my personal e-mail today (twice, in fact): "Hi, we are excited to be releasing a 1/15th scale Pershing 1A kit, our second BT-80 kit! Just $60.00 Plus Free Shipping! Save $17 from our Ebay price! "
Thanks to you, I received two notices, too. :-) I just took a look at their "Products" page, and they've been busy--the new Pershing 1A isn't their only new kit or part! Also:

Since they already offer two versions of the Thor-Able (the Pioneer lunar probe and Tiros 1 rounds), Thor-Agena A (and/or B), Thor-Altair (which used payload fairings very similar to both the "skinny" and "bulbous" Scout fairings), and Thor-Burner II and IIA models wouldn't be hard for them to add to their Thor-Able model line, since these upper stages and payload fairings would just be different nose cones...
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-24-2017, 11:50 AM
Brent Brent is offline
Level 3
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 264
Default

I have the Pershing 1A on the way. Ordered it off the web site Friday night
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018