Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Recent Cox Rocket Kit Prices

I never owned a Cox rocket back in the day, but have collected a few of them in more recent years to have a more 'well rounded' kit collection.

About three weeks ago, an eBay seller listed a series of still shrinkwrapped Cox kits, just about all of them that Cox made, with the exception of the Honest John and the Saturn 1b.

What I thought would be of interest are the prices they brought after the final bids were in. The upper-most price, for the Saturn V, was the highest price I personally have ever seen for a model rocket on eBay.

They were as follows:

Saturn V-- $ 710

Nike Zeus-- $ 500

Little Joe II-- $ 349

Space Shuttle
America-- $ 204

X-15-- $ 112

I had to admit, they were all pristine looking and the seller mentioned they were from an estate. No other rocket items were listed by the seller, best I can recall.

I thought they'd go at decent prices, but I was a bit surprised at the final tally. The Nike Zeus was the first still in-the-box sample of this kit I've on ebay.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-04-2016, 10:30 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Those prices are absolutely A$ININE for rocket 'kits' that in a word fly and look like a POS.
Cox rockets are heavy, clunky, and WAY off scale.
The only good things Cox produced for rocketry were the 18mm D8-3 and D8-0.
The fool that paid these prices was either high smoking really bad crack, is involved in small-time money laundering, has WAY more $$ than cranial capacity, or is certifiably INSANE.

I have seen NIB examples of the Cox Nike Zeus on ebay before. I saw them go for just above and just below $200 and I thought THAT was insane for crappy plastic ARF rockets.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Wow!

Those are some impressive prices for Cox rocket models.

I remember seeing the Cox Nike Zeus model in my local hobby shop back in the early 1970s and wanting to buy it.

I couldn't afford it because it was $5.00 and an Estes Alpha was around $1.50 at that time. It would have taken nearly six months for me to save up enough allowance to buy the NZ.

Years ago I was working on an article about the history of Cox rockets and was hoping to run it in LAUNCH magazine. The magazine closed down before I finished the article.

I did post some things about Cox rockets over on TRF way back.

Now that I have a Cox Little Joe II, I should at some point take a picture of all my Cox models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Cox Display LA RCHTA 1989.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  48.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Cox LA RCHTA 1990 Display.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  47.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Cox SV kit.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  98.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Cox Saturn V Built Kit.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  846.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Cox Saturn V El Dorado Launch.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  31.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Cox HJ SS.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  96.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Cox NZ.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  72.4 KB  
Old 01-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Lifelong Rocket Scientist

Funny thing about these kits to me is growing up in the 60s and 70s in Colorado most of my kits were Estes but then again they were home town back then.
The only thing I remember Cox for was control line airplanes never even knew they made rockets till I saw them on here
Old 01-15-2017, 10:58 PM
Master Modeler

Part of my building skills for any kind of model came from building Cox line controlled planes and engines back in the mid to late 60's. The only Cox rocket I have ever purchased or flown was the X15. It's one tough rocket and very difficult to pack for proper deployment due to the scale. It could cause some damage if it doesn't at least eject the nc.

On the positive side, Cox used to sell the best wadding I ever used. It was the size of the old Stridex acne pads and about twice as thick. It was great for use in any 1/100 Saturn V as it was almost 3" in diameter. Too bad they stopped making it.

Randy
http://www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX1UPCG
Old 03-30-2017, 02:42 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Those prices are absolutely A$ININE for rocket 'kits' that in a word fly and look like a POS.
Cox rockets are heavy, clunky, and WAY off scale.
The only good things Cox produced for rocketry were the 18mm D8-3 and D8-0.
The fool that paid these prices was either high smoking really bad crack, is involved in small-time money laundering, has WAY more $$ than cranial capacity, or is certifiably INSANE.

I have seen NIB examples of the Cox Nike Zeus on ebay before. I saw them go for just above and just below $200 and I thought THAT was insane for crappy plastic ARF rockets.

I had seen the Nike Zeus and the Honest John fly with my own eyes as a kid and they flew great. Almost out of site for the two. These things sell at these prices due to their scarcity and collectability. As with anything collectible, the more pristine the condition, the higher the value. I've seen Hot Wheel cars go for over $9000 (that's nine thousand). These were among the very rare and sought after first year of production still in the blister pack. This particular one was a Camaro. It was the color that set the price being extremely rare. I had actually copied the auction just to bring it to work to show some of the guys. They were stunned at the price and then had wished they never threw any of theirs out. Then I showed them a pink AMX in it's blister I had sold for $450 on Ebay. It got thier attention!
It's all about rarity and condition about a particular item.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:09 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

Sorry, but those prices are ******* even if the kits fly and look great.

But collectors gonna collect.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Growing up, I had always wanted the Shuttle America. When the Cox kits were re-released in the 90's I finally got one. IIRC it was under $30. I flew the hell out of that thing and eventually broke a few parts. I had snagged a used one off ebay that had a broken launch lug, so I got it for next to nothing. I also got one sealed in the box ( a re-release) for about $30. That's on the collector's shelf. I still have a flying one and for heavy chunks of plastic it really does fly well on a C6-3.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:29 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

If we could get someone to issue the old 13n-sec 18mm Cox D8-3 it would fly even better.
I have a precious hoard of those motors.
The best motor ever produced to fly the Estes Mars Lander and Estes full-stack #1284 Space Shuttle.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-31-2017, 06:32 PM
Junior Rocketeer

What exactly is 'better'? Flying higher, faster what? As far as stability goes, it's pretty much a moot point. Anything else is simply splitting hairs over what a true Scotsman is.