Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2017, 12:12 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The ol' outhouse should still be legal EVERYWHERE if YOU are the land OWNER.
Should be nobody else's STINKIN' (literally) bizznuss.
If the "fumage" indirectly wafts over to someone else's property, my standard answer of "TOUGH !" applies as the DUMPAGE was not DIRECTLY placed on their property.
Yes. I AM that neighbor.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-26-2017, 12:35 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Heard a great podcast -- and episode of "Stuff You Should Know" -- about the introduction of outhouses.

They weren't a "thing" in many places until a deliberate program, early in the 20th century, to fight parasitic worms that lived in human waste.

Rather than being a backward thing, a properly built and serviced outhouse was a major advance.

I've used 'em plenty of times, staying at various wilderness cabins.

Where's my bucket of ashes . . .
Thank you for posting this. I hadn't known that outhouses were so relatively recent, or that their introduction was due to a program of public health awareness and improvement...but I wonder what was done in those areas before outhouses... Also:

A recently-deceased local horseman I knew, who lived in the hills outside of town (he also had sled dogs), had an outhouse, and he increased its effectiveness by shoveling a little horse manure into its pit. With our cooler soil here, the microbes' action on the horse manure increased the temperature in the pit, which increased the microbes' metabolism and reproduction, and this in turn resulted in faster consumption of the human waste in the pit (he may also have dumped the dogs' excrement in the pit, but I never asked him about that), and:

When I lived in the Blue Ridge Mountains of northern Georgia from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s, even some businesses had outhouses that were their public toilets. I well recall--because it was perched precariously near the edge of a hill with a sheer drop-off on that side--the large "two-holer" outhouse at Leonard Fields' Auction House, several miles outside of Hiawassee. One night I was in a hurry to "take care of business," and I entered the outhouse at a quite fast walk. It lurched over toward the drop-off as the wooden seat shimmied on its rather flimsy supports, and for a couple of terrifying seconds I feared that I was about to plunge thirty feet to the bottom of the pit--and the thought of what was down there cushioning my fall was decidedly *not* reassuring at all...
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 07-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The ol' outhouse should still be legal EVERYWHERE if YOU are the land OWNER.
Should be nobody else's STINKIN' (literally) bizznuss.
If the "fumage" indirectly wafts over to someone else's property, my standard answer of "TOUGH !" applies as the DUMPAGE was not DIRECTLY placed on their property.
Yes. I AM that neighbor.
I wouldn't do such a thing, out of consideration, but:

If you really want to rile up a neighbor who complains about such a thing, having a cookout using a dung-fueled fire--and then offering him or her a plate ("That smoke gives the barbecue a unique flavor!")--would be a fun way to shut up their complaints.
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 07-27-2017, 11:15 AM

We had a neighbor as kids that we and our parents could not stand.
They would have a camp/bonfire almost every other night right near the property line.
We started sneaking up there covertly and placing mounds of dog hair clippings and dog excrement in their fire-pile.
It was hilarious when they were down-wind of burning dog poop and hair.

That Thar's quality STINK-MAYHEM.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:13 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
We had a neighbor as kids that we and our parents could not stand.
They would have a camp/bonfire almost every other night right near the property line.
We started sneaking up there covertly and placing mounds of dog hair clippings and dog excrement in their fire-pile.
It was hilarious when they were down-wind of burning dog poop and hair.

That Thar's quality STINK-MAYHEM.
For all they knew, dogs ^could^ have deposited those...biofuels there (even "sticker-matted" clumps of hair from long-haired dogs could have come from dogs who scratched themselves there...). :-)
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-17-2018, 02:04 PM

An Uncle and Aunt of mine have a large dairy farm in Northern Michigan. From the mid-70's through the late 90's we used to have a yearly family reunion there. The farm had a "campsite" location on the upper-40 acres that was used during the reunion for bonfires, fireworks, and in general wild parties along with camping by several relatives. It featured an old-school shack-type outhouse well through the 90's. They had a DUMP on the property as well and didn't pay for a garbage pickup either. That all stopped in the 2000's when the stinkin' gubmint butted their snoots in where it NEVER BELONGS. If YOU own the property, it should be yours to protect or RUIN however YOU see fit as the OWNER with ZERO oversight.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:25 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
An Uncle and Aunt of mine have a large dairy farm in Northern Michigan. From the mid-70's through the late 90's we used to have a yearly family reunion there. The farm had a "campsite" location on the upper-40 acres that was used during the reunion for bonfires, fireworks, and in general wild parties along with camping by several relatives. It featured an old-school shack-type outhouse well through the 90's. They had a DUMP on the property as well and didn't pay for a garbage pickup either. That all stopped in the 2000's when the stinkin' gubmint butted their snoots in where it NEVER BELONGS. If YOU own the property, it should be yours to protect or RUIN however YOU see fit as the OWNER with ZERO oversight.
With one provision--that activities on one person's land don't cause any actual harm to neighbors and/or their land (and what you described ^isn't^ of that nature)--I'm in complete agreement with you. If neighbors tipped off the local overlords about the dump and the outhouse on the farm, your relatives could raise pigs near the neighbor(s)' property line(s) (or rent that section to a pig farmer who's interested in it). I know of a case in which this was done, with most satisfying results:

Ann Wykin of Wykin Shires in England exercised a provision of the land deed that permitted pigs to be raised on her property, after a city neighbor (the annoying kind who moves to a rural area and then tries to gentrify it) complained to the local Privy Council about her Shire draft horses, and to British Telecom (about a BT utility pole on her land, which they said was too close to their property line). She sub-let an area adjacent to her neighbor's land to a pig farmer, and the neighbor didn't lodge any more complaints... :-)
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-18-2018, 06:21 AM

I would agree with that with the following caveat: the harm would have to be direct and measurable harm. If it is some "enviro-WHACKO" indirect mamby-pamby non-measurable baloney, TUFF ROXX !

Old 04-18-2018, 11:06 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I would agree with that with the following caveat: the harm would have to be direct and measurable harm. If it is some "enviro-WHACKO" indirect mamby-pamby non-measurable baloney, TUFF ROXX !
*Nods* Yes, that was what I meant; only something that poisoned the water table or the air, or was a ^constant^ acoustic nuisance (like playing loud music in the middle of the night, every night [and even that only disturbs the peace *if* there are neighbors close enough to be bothered by it]). Objectionable odors don't count (livestock farmers can't control the directions in which the wind blows), and:

Here in Fairbanks, during the year we have a few all-night downtown block parties (which involve loud music and shouting and live DJ announcements) on occasions such as the Summer Solstice, and a *very* loud (it rattles my windows, being just two block-widths over, on the near bank of the Chena river) fireworks display on Winter Solstice night. But these events are planned and announced well in advance, so that locals who don't want to participate or watch can adjust their sleep/wake schedules accordingly. Also, speaking of "perceived harm":

Yesterday I heard Phil Robertson, the patriarch of the "Duck Dynasty" clan, being interviewed on a talk radio program, and he described a simultaneously hilarious and infuriating occurrence. FaceBook edited a video that he made about catching, cleaning, and cooking fish, because they judged that showing him cutting off the fish's heads was "violent." (The talk host [it was either Joe Pags or Lars Larson] pointed out that Mark Zuckerberg and other Silicon Valley types often like Sushi, the preparation of which is no less "violent," which Phil found funny.) In addition:

When this matter was brought to FaceBook's attention, the video was "de-edited" to include the deleted scene (Phil said that PETA might have complained about the original video). If he had cut off the heads of ^living^ fish (which besides being cruel, would be very difficult to do), I could see--and would have agreed with--FaceBook's original editing of the video, but the fish, while fresh, were quite dead and felt no pain. That "silly subset" of human beings really needs to "Butch Up."
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-18-2018, 11:39 AM

I'm also of the opinion that if you own a certain piece of property and YOU as the owner decide to evironmentally RUIN it, that should be perfectly within YOUR individual purview with zero outside influence/control. I don't think you should have to do squat as far as disclosure regarding that if you choose to sell. That should be up to a BUYERS investigation. If directly asked questions, the seller should have to truthfully answer, but volunteer nothing.

Caveat Emptor, pal !