Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2017, 05:23 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Default Can't Get Rustoleum to Spray

So I was attempted to use Rustoleum white to do some paint today. I used the stuff last fall, and haven't used it since. Now I can't get a darned thing to come out of the can.

I've soaked the nozzle in some thinner and also cleaned out the top of the can where the nozzle inserts with thinner, and still nuthin'

What in the name of all that is good in rocketry do I have to do to get paint to spray again? The can's nearly 3/4 full.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 07-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
So I was attempted to use Rustoleum white to do some paint today. I used the stuff last fall, and haven't used it since. Now I can't get a darned thing to come out of the can.

I've soaked the nozzle in some thinner and also cleaned out the top of the can where the nozzle inserts with thinner, and still nuthin'

What in the name of all that is good in rocketry do I have to do to get paint to spray again? The can's nearly 3/4 full.
Bunny, do you have another can with the same nozzle? Try it. I've had difficulty getting a clogged nozzle cleared out, and worked around that by swapping nozzles.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 07-26-2017, 05:52 PM
Flying since 1977

The way things are going, you may need to invest in an airbrush/automotive spray gun to get a decent paint job on your rockets. You may need to buy Rustoleum in regular cans and then use an airbrush/spray gun to apply the paint. My guess to your particular problem is the pickup tube in your can is clogged. Just my $0.02.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 07-26-2017, 06:42 PM
Old Submariner

It happens to me quite often, therefore I save all of the used nozzles from my empty rattle cans--especially primer. The primer cans/nozzles seem to be the most reliable, but I don't know why.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

Great tip, Jeep. I've lost track of all the Rusto I've tossed, and I need a new can of white for Rogue and Farside-X base coats.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:20 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

New nozzles are the answer.

Rustoleum will sell you 20 for about $5. Its the only way you'll ever finish a can of white.

Go to the Rustoleum website. I average about three nozzles per can of gloss white.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 07-26-2017, 07:28 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
New nozzles are the answer.

Rustoleum will sell you 20 for about $5. Its the only way you'll ever finish a can of white.

Go to the Rustoleum website. I average about three nozzles per can of gloss white.

I had no idea Rusto sold just nozzles! I gotta get me some!

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-26-2017, 08:35 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Apologies if somebody already said this....

After using Rusto, I pull off the nozzles and soak them in mineral spirits for about 10-15 minutes. It seems to keep them pretty clean, and has really stretched the amount I get from each can.

Didn't know Rusto sold nozzles either 20 for $5 is totally worth it!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Master Modeler

Most spray paints have changed and are now hit and miss. I have used Rustoleum Rust Stop spray paint back in the day and it worked great, now I never know what I am getting. I order Krylon Acyli Quik online, it is same old 5 ball Krylon that they used to sell in the stores. Works great, comes with the old style nozzle and I can use it until gone without messing with the nozzle.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Soak your nozzles in lacquer thinner! It's the only way to get them absolutely clean. The plastic is lacquer-safe since the same nozzle could be found on spray cans of lacquer paint.

If you really want to be anal about it, buy either a piece of aluminum or brass tubing that fits over the nozzle's tube and blow it out. Be sure to inhale before putting the tube in your mouth! And wear safety glasses. You don't know if the spray might hit you in the face! Don't ask me why I am concerned for your safety.

I've been using Krylon old formula which I stocked up on in the late 90s to early 2000s. The key is clean your nozzles, and invert that can to clear paint if you may not be using the paint for awhile. You don't want that paint drying down inside the top of the can.

Bunny,

The Rustoleum 2X whites are excellent. I've used the gloss, semigloss, and flat. Their colors are equally good, but I've had my issues with other brands of white paint, especially gloss. Finally, Rustoleum lacquers are my favorite. They only come in red, black, and white. There may be a silver, but I've never seen it in stores. However, these lacquers are compatible with the little Testors and Model Master lacquers, so you have a lot of options with lacquers. If you are worried about crazing plastic parts, spray them first with Tamiya primers. Formulated to protect plastic, and have no fillers to blur molded details that may exist in any plastic pieces, like body wraps.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp