Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2017, 07:57 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Actually the engine in my '11 Vette is far less "modern" than the engine in my '08 HHR SS.
The Corvette has a pushrod-valve 2-valve/cylinder V8 with "regular" sequential EFI induction.
The older HHR has dual-overhead camshafts, 4 valves per cylinder, Direct-injection, continuously variable valve timing with an intercooled two-stage turbocharger making 21lbs of boost .

Probably why my HHR makes 150hp/litre (61 cubic inches) and the 6.2L in my Corvette only makes around 75hp/litre.

There's no substitute for cubic inches. That's why I want a supercharged V8 Raptor instead of the V-6 turbo version. It's the best of both worlds! I'd settle for somebody to donate me a modern whipple style supercharger to put on my 5.0L F-150.

I was really just speaking for the ease of nearly any well maintained semi-modern EFI to get good efficiency and power while getting better mileage and emissions compared to older cars with carbs, vacuum advance, tiny exhausts, 100 lbs of smog control, etc. Modern carbs are much better than their older counterparts too, but you still need to jet according to altitude, use a choke whether automatic or manual, etc.

That Vette's LS engine can easily get 100+ hp/liter with better flowing 2-valve heads without resorting to boost or nox. Would likely need some new injectors/pump and a map, but I doubt you'd even need to change the cam. I'm not a GM guy but I know the LS series engines have a lot of reserve power on tap that can easily be found with nothing more than bolt on parts.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Craftsman

I bought a 1970 Nova in 97, pretty much an original car..350 engine, Saginaw 3 speed trans/shifter, bucket seats and rally wheels It was "Forest Green" the same color as the 396 SS Chevelle I bought new in 70. Sold them both....If I had only known the market for those cars......
Old 08-14-2017, 12:31 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

My car has full aftermarket 3" stainless dual exhaust into 2-chamber fairly loud Flowmasters.
Going to add a ram-air kit that shows a documented 40hp boost (stock air cleaner feeding the intake is really restrictive) and stainless headers. Car has already been dyno-tuned and is within 25hp of a stock Z06 at the wheels with only the 6 litre (instead of 427 7L engine).
It is very fast and daily driven.

Shopping for head options. Dunno if I wanna go that far though or just go with a 427CI LSX long-block with good heads included.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-14-2017, 01:32 PM
Craftsman

I had a red ' 74 custom with a 350. I put on rally sport wheels, those wheels were worth more than the car at the end. By '74 you had the power sucking pollution pump and rubber baby buggy bumpers. Strip it down and make a muscle car for fun.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyisabar
I had a red ' 74 custom with a 350. I put on rally sport wheels, those wheels were worth more than the car at the end. By '74 you had the power sucking pollution pump and rubber baby buggy bumpers. Strip it down and make a muscle car for fun.
I only realized recently that one could redo the bumper setups and get the cow-catcher chins tucked back in to look like 1972 again

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 08-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Craftsman

One day during high school our small town cop came by the house and wanted me to show him my red 74 Nova. So I did and after they checked everything out I was OK - although my mother was absolutely petrified. A few years later I learned the whole story while having drinks with my old high school buddies. Seems one of them, who had since become a big city police officer, said he drove his red Boss Mustang into the gas station, filled it up and took off because he was broke, drunk, a little stoned and had been squeezing off rounds with his 357 magnum. The gas station attendant mistook the back of his red Mustang as a Nova. He was so thankful they made that mistake and the local cop came looking for me. I guess to mistake the back of a Boss Mustang for a Nova the attendant must have been a little wacky, but it was the early eighties MAN!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:22 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The story about the Boss Mustang vs the Nova above is hilarious.
That was probably the end of it too. Nowadays the BAC limit has been lowered to a RIDICULOUSLY low level, despite the # of deaths by drunks per road mile driven has steadily and dramatically decreased to an all time low compared to the peak in 1986. Idiotic groups like MADD will NEVER be satisfied until we go back to prohibition, WHICH AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Craftsman

You start to get old an the first things you want back are your old rockets and teenage car.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Craftsman

I had a '69 SS 396 4 spd Nova but for some reason I cant get the Fotki hosted pic to load.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Master Modeler

> I checked with my BIL, and he agrees it was a 400.

If it had the hood scoop like the Trans Am of that time it should have been a 400. The next year they began reducing car size and power because of all the OPEC crap and replaced it with a gutted 403 that was a piece of crap. Pontiac was never the same after 74.

Randy
http://www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX1UPCG