Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2017, 09:26 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Well, I happened to be driving past Hobby Lobby again this evening so I stopped in and bought a package of the Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy using the 40% off coupon again (after reading several other threads here about epoxy, many recommended this one).

CA for the fins? I find that interesting. Most threads/posts in these forums about CA state that it's pretty worthless because it's so brittle. At one point I thought seriously about using CA glue for all of my regular rocket builds because I HATE waiting for regular glue to dry (I do use wood glue, not white glue), but after reading so many bad comments about CA glue on these forums I decided to give up the idea.

Does it have to be a specific CA for this purpose? I do have some just regular household superglue, but I'd have to run out to buy any special modeling type CA glue. (I do know there are various thicknesses of CA for different purposes.)

Side note, Hobby Lobby did also have the Majestic kit on the shelf, but it was a $50 kit compared to the Star Orbiter being a $22 kit. Even with the 40% coupon, I'm not quite ready to spend that much on a rocket yet.

I will say, getting into the PSII line kind of violates my personal preference on the types of kits I typically buy. I typically stay away from the just plain tube with fins type, which all of these PSII models are. I go more for the cool sci-fi'ish looking rockets that look like they could be an actual space ship, or scale models of actual rockets (my pride is still my Saturn V I built about 25 or 30 years ago and still have). But as I stated in my original post, for the cost of this bundle, I decided to give more power a try.

I love WATCHING other people launch high power rockets, but for my personal tastes I like looking at them as a model of something cool just as much as I enjoy launching them.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:23 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhug
CA for the fins? I find that interesting. Most threads/posts in these forums about CA state that it's pretty worthless because it's so brittle. At one point I thought seriously about using CA glue for all of my regular rocket builds because I HATE waiting for regular glue to dry (I do use wood glue, not white glue), but after reading so many bad comments about CA glue on these forums I decided to give up the idea.

Does it have to be a specific CA for this purpose? I do have some just regular household superglue, but I'd have to run out to buy any special modeling type CA glue. (I do know there are various thicknesses of CA for different purposes.)

I have built and flown all of the Estes PSII E2X models.
All the fins were assembled with medium grade CA (ZAP). No issues.
My Estes PSII Nike Smoke (Non E2X) had the plastic fins also assembled with medium CA.
The model flew fine on an AeroTech G80 motor with no issues.

I do use epoxy to secure the fins to the model.
I don't use much, just enough at all the areas of contact.
Never had a fin come off/out.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I dug out the instructions from the Trajector box. It uses ONLY CA and epoxy, no regular (white/yellow) glue at all. It says to use CA to glue the fin halves together, and epoxy for everything else. It doesn't say what kind of CA though, so thanks for the pointer to use medium. I'll have to run back to Hobby Lobby with that 40% off coupon again.

The one question I have though is, the fins are plastic. Why are we using CA to glue plastic parts together instead of the traditional plastic cement glue I've always used on plastic parts in the regular Estes rockets? That stuff actually melts the plastic a bit and makes the plastic from the different parts stick together, almost like a plastic "weld".

Thanks again!
Old 10-21-2017, 12:07 PM
Master Modeler

Traditional plastic cement is for polystyrene - I think the PSII fins are a some other plastic, polyethylene maybe? Be careful not to let the CA ooze onto the outside of the fins if you want a nice clean look. I ended up with some CA on the outside of the fins on Mammoth no. 2. Haven't built Trajector no.2 yet since I'm trying to decide if I want to use an Accur8 (John Pursley) vinyl wrap on that one.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
Traditional plastic cement is for polystyrene - I think the PSII fins are a some other plastic, polyethylene maybe? Be careful not to let the CA ooze onto the outside of the fins if you want a nice clean look. I ended up with some CA on the outside of the fins on Mammoth no. 2. Haven't built Trajector no.2 yet since I'm trying to decide if I want to use an Accur8 (John Pursley) vinyl wrap on that one.

I got the NASA skin for my Trajector, I think it'll look great. I have all parts prepped, just waiting for the winter when I'm stuck inside.

I think the wraps are a great way to take a simple E2X model like the Trajector and turn it into something special.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Traditional plastic cement is for polystyrene - I think the PSII fins are a some other plastic, polyethylene maybe?

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2017, 06:22 PM
Flying since 1977

Quote:

Actually I believe the fins are made of ABS, and no the standard PS glues will not work on ABS. I believe that polyethlene would flex a bit too much and be highly resistant to paint and glue. I think that At, LOC, PML, etc. use PE in their nose cones. CA is a great bonding agent if the joint are not put into shear.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 10-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Master Modeler

I used CA on my Nike Smoke's fins. With adequate clamping, they came out just fine.

I passed on the current PS II deals. SO, SO many unbuilt models.

I hope the sell-off doesn't mean Estes is discontinuning the line! The E16 and F16 aresn't as widely useful as I'd like, but they're definitely appreciated.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 10-21-2017, 08:53 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I hope the sell-off doesn't mean Estes is discontinuning the line! The E16 and F16 aresn't as widely useful as I'd like, but they're definitely appreciated.

I have to say I'm getting frustrated about their local availability. Hobby Lobby is the only place that sells them at all around here that I've found (none at any LHS), and even their selection is limited and stock is erratic at best. Mail order requires hazmat.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Master Modeler

I think the release of the Star Orbiter and the upcoming Super Big Bertha shows that the PSII black powder motors aren't likely to be discontinued any time soon .