Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-05-2017, 09:31 AM
jdbectec jdbectec is offline
the middle-aged rocketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Urbana, Illinois.....the birthplace of HAL
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I received the Quest parts order, but the body tubes (T20 and T35) were the regular, white-overwrap kraft paper tubes, which are fine (maybe they're shipping out these to make room for the MPC/AVI-type tubing, or maybe they get their tubes from multiple manufacturers?). What shape is their new 30 mm blow-molded nose cone with the molded-in attachment lug? I didn't see it on their website, but I know that they're still getting all of their parts up on the site (their new motor mount tubes and "new-size" centering rings weren't on it before). Also:

They're now out of the old MPC/AVI/AVI Astroport-type scale Tomahawk plastic fin units (which isn't surprising, since I'd seen them listed as a "Limited Quantity" item on the Quest website for a year or more). "That mold is old" (literally), but cast resin and 3D printed duplicates can be made. They substituted (at no extra charge, even though they cost more) the slip-on, T20-size "Tomahawk-like" fin units that they use in their Starhawk kits.



The tubes you got are the same as I did. I was referring to quality, tight wrap with no gaps. I should have said they were like the early Quest tubes. Nice and white and able to be used unpainted(thinkTracer). For a while the tubes had wide spirals. The only MPC tube I have is in a boxed ASP kit.I don't know why they refer to them as fiber they're ordinary tubes with a slightly thinner outer wrap of white that is semi transparent and has a slight overlap that can be sanded smooth.

As for the 30mm nose come it is essentially the same shape as the older one but, blow molded with an attachment loop like the T 20 cone. Mine weighs 7 grams and was molded in red. If you look at the nose cone page at Quest you will see the two 30mm cones side by side. The red one is the new one

Intestingly enough they still list the old Tomohawk fin unit in two colors.
__________________
Jeffrey Deem
NAR16741
CIA section 527

Last edited by jdbectec : 11-05-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-05-2017, 10:19 AM
hcmbanjo's Avatar
hcmbanjo hcmbanjo is offline
When Pigs Fly!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I received the Quest parts order, but the body tubes (T20 and T35) were the regular, white-overwrap kraft paper tubes, which are fine (maybe they're shipping out these to make room for the MPC/AVI-type tubing, or maybe they get their tubes from multiple manufacturers?). What shape is their new 30 mm blow-molded nose cone with the molded-in attachment lug? I didn't see it on their website, but I know that they're still getting all of their parts up on the site (their new motor mount tubes and "new-size" centering rings weren't on it before). Also:

They're now out of the old MPC/AVI/AVI Astroport-type scale Tomahawk plastic fin units (which isn't surprising, since I'd seen them listed as a "Limited Quantity" item on the Quest website for a year or more). They substituted (at no extra charge, even though they cost more) the slip-on, T20-size "Tomahawk-like" fin units that they use in their Starhawk kits.


I don't know where you heard that tube information, but the current metric Quest tubes are made by Euclid. I doubt they will be switching them out for older MPC style tubes.
I can't recall the name of the company that made the old style tubes for MPC and probably CMR. They might not even be in business anymore.
When I ordered parts for the Nike Tomahawk, Quest also substituted the Starhawk fin unit for the Tomahawk fin unit I ordered. A quick call to Nettie and I got the right fin cans.
__________________
Hans "Chris" Michielssen
Old/New NAR # 19086 SR

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-05-2017, 11:10 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
The tubes you got are the same as I did. I was referring to quality, tight wrap with no gaps. I should have said they were like the early Quest tubes. Nice and white and able to be used unpainted(thinkTracer). For a while the tubes had wide spirals. The only MPC tube I have is in a boxed ASP kit.I don't know why they refer to them as fiber they're ordinary tubes with a slightly thinner outer wrap of white that is semi transparent and has a slight overlap that can be sanded smooth.
Yes, Quest's new body tubes are definitely "RTF-usable" as-is, just like their early ones (I only saw a couple of their "in-between period" tubes with gaps; they weren't hideous, but the difference was impossible to miss). I think "fiber" was a marketing catch-word back then (the early 1970s). At that same time, Centuri introduced their fiber fins (which they spelled 'fibre' to be fancy); it sounds catchier than "Beveridge board," which is the industry name for the Centuri (and now Estes) fiber fin material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
As for the 30mm nose come it is essentially the same shape as the older one but, blow molded with an attachment loop like the T 20 cone. Mine weighs 7 grams and was molded in red. If you look at the nose cone page at Quest you will see the two 30mm cones side by side. The red one is the new one
Thank you--I just looked. That nose cone isn't new (although it might not have been offered as a separate part for a while [I hadn't followed Quest much until more recently]). That red 30 mm nose cone is in their Astra III kit, and it is also--molded in purple--used in their Quick-Q kit. You can see both of them here (see: http://www.questaerospace.com/Quick...06_3443192.aspx ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
Intestingly enough they still list the old Tomohawk fin unit in two colors.
Indeed--I have three hypotheses regarding that. One is that since they've been rather slow in getting all of their products listed on their website, they might be equally slow regarding removing discontinued ones. Or, maybe they plan to mold another batch of the Tomahawk fin units, and that's why they've kept them listed on the site. Also:

The third possibility that I've entertained is that since I ordered all Day-Glo orange Tomahawk fin units, maybe they still have the green ones, but substituted the new Tomahawk-like Starhawk ones in my order because they, too, are Day-Glo orange. (I don't think this is likely, but when I ordered MicroMaxx rocket items from them a year or more ago, I was stunned to discover that *I* knew more about their product names and numbers than the person I was dealing with! They do seem to be "up to speed" now, though, judging by recent orders that I've placed with them.)
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-05-2017, 11:10 AM
jdbectec jdbectec is offline
the middle-aged rocketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Urbana, Illinois.....the birthplace of HAL
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
I don't know where you heard that tube information, but the current metric Quest tubes are made by Euclid. I doubt they will be switching them out for older MPC style tubes.
I can't recall the name of the company that made the old style tubes for MPC and probably CMR. They might not even be in business anymore.
When I ordered parts for the Nike Tomahawk, Quest also substituted the Starhawk fin unit for the Tomahawk fin unit I ordered. A quick call to Nettie and I got the right fin cans.


I think you are correct on the body tubes. Frankly I think the current ones look to be superior to the old MRI/MPC ones. YMMV.

Unfortunately I think Nettie is no longer with Quest. I believe she left when they moved to Utah after the merger with Aerortech.
__________________
Jeffrey Deem
NAR16741
CIA section 527
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-05-2017, 11:32 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
I don't know where you heard that tube information, but the current metric Quest tubes are made by Euclid. I doubt they will be switching them out for older MPC style tubes.
I can't recall the name of the company that made the old style tubes for MPC and probably CMR. They might not even be in business anymore.
I had misunderstood Jeffrey regarding the Quest body tubes (as he kindly pointed out in his posting above; I'd thought that he meant they were again the MPC-type "fiber" tubes). About four or five years ago, I had a couple of Quest kits whose white body tubes had normal but quite noticeable spiral gaps, while the tubes they used in their earlier years--and again today, as in my current parts order--were/are smooth with no spiral gap to speak of. I can't remember the name of the other paper tube manufacturer, either, but when I was producing my Nova Hobbies ASP kits I had them and Euclid listed on my component suppliers list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
When I ordered parts for the Nike Tomahawk, Quest also substituted the Starhawk fin unit for the Tomahawk fin unit I ordered. A quick call to Nettie and I got the right fin cans.
Yes indeed, she was "Quest's Mary Roberts!"
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-05-2017, 12:17 PM
jdbectec jdbectec is offline
the middle-aged rocketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Urbana, Illinois.....the birthplace of HAL
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I had misunderstood Jeffrey regarding the Quest body tubes (as he kindly pointed out in his posting above; I'd thought that he meant they were again the MPC-type "fiber" tubes). About four or five years ago, I had a couple of Quest kits whose white body tubes had normal but quite noticeable spiral gaps, while the tubes they used in their earlier years--and again today, as in my current parts order--were/are smooth with no spiral gap to speak of. I can't remember the name of the other paper tube manufacturer, either, but when I was producing my Nova Hobbies ASP kits I had them and Euclid listed on my component suppliers list.Yes indeed, she was "Quest's Mary Roberts!"


My reaches for custom paper tubes turns up a company called Ace,Paramount,Yazoo.and Custom. Apparently Paramount owns Euclid and several others. They are the only one that specifically mentions model rocket tubing.
__________________
Jeffrey Deem
NAR16741
CIA section 527
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-05-2017, 12:48 PM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
My reaches for custom paper tubes turns up a company called Ace,Paramount,Yazoo.and Custom. Apparently Paramount owns Euclid and several others. They are the only one that specifically mentions model rocket tubing.
Hmmm...none of those names rings a bell with me. It's possible, as Chris said, that that other company might have gone out of business (although I suppose they could have been bought out, merged with another such firm, or changed their name).
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-05-2017, 02:00 PM
jdbectec jdbectec is offline
the middle-aged rocketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Urbana, Illinois.....the birthplace of HAL
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Hmmm...none of those names rings a bell with me. It's possible, as Chris said, that that other company might have gone out of business (although I suppose they could have been bought out, merged with another such firm, or changed their name).


Paramount apparently absorbed Euclid and several other companies. I remember finding another company that made model rocket tubes too but, I have also forgotten their name.

I remember speaking to AAA aviation fuels who advertised custum made tubes through their supplier. There was a set up fee and a rather large minimum order. Not affordable for me at the time.
__________________
Jeffrey Deem
NAR16741
CIA section 527
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-05-2017, 02:01 PM
BEC's Avatar
BEC BEC is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auburn, Washington
Posts: 2,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
Unfortunately I think Nettie is no longer with Quest. I believe she left when they moved to Utah after the merger with Aerortech.


<thread drift>

Yes, that is true. And now Bill Stine is no longer part of Aerotech/Quest as well.

I had the pleasure of briefly meeting Nettie at NSL this year. It was fun to put a face to the name. She was going down the line of shade canopies introducing herself in much the same way as Mary Roberts was doing at NSL 2013.

I had a wonderful hour-long phone conversation with Mary Roberts as I was doing my 50th anniversary Alpha research a couple of months ago.

Both Mary and Nettie are gems.

</thread drift>
__________________
Bernard Cawley
NAR 89040 L1 - Life Member
SAM 0061
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-05-2017, 02:04 PM
jdbectec jdbectec is offline
the middle-aged rocketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Urbana, Illinois.....the birthplace of HAL
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
<thread drift>

Yes, that is true. And now Bill Stine is no longer part of Aerotech/Quest as well.

I had the pleasure of briefly meeting Nettie at NSL this year. It was fun to put a face to the name. She was going down the line of shade canopies introducing herself in much the same way as Mary Roberts was doing at NSL 2013.

I had a wonderful hour-long phone conversation with Mary Roberts as I was doing my 50th anniversary Alpha research a couple of months ago.

Both Mary and Nettie are gems.

</thread drift>


Like
__________________
Jeffrey Deem
NAR16741
CIA section 527
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018