Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Not so Junior

The facets are there from when the stl file was generated- too low a resolution and you get them.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Craftsman

I thought the resolution might be a problem; but this effect is most pronunced on just the Titan nosecone top and not the rest of the part. When I export files from RockSim for 3D printing I always select the high resolution setting, if I don't do this I see simlar faceting but it is on all of the curved surfaces.
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 04-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Craftsman

No Teflon, those look like they may be artifacts from either your printer or slicer.

I have now completed this things download section, It now contains all the parts necessary to make all 3 rockets, except for the fins which can be found in another thing. I just uploaded my version of the estes gemini titan nose cone to complete the set.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2845691
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  d83c90cce1b49f175e457bcf1526cae8_preview_featured.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  41.5 KB  
Old 04-06-2018, 10:15 AM
Craftsman

One other thing I have read about 3d printers that may be the cause is when they get taller in the Z axis, there can be more swaying from poorly supported structures.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:52 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Decrease the sway limit.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Craftsman

When I got my Ender 2 3D printer the first thing I did was print the 3 modifications that everyone seems to suggest; a 1mm shim for the Z axis motor, a Vrail stabilizer for the Z axis lead screw as well as a duct around the fan to cool both the extruder and parts as they are printed. You can see these last 2 mods in the first picture. Both pictures show an A-20 Demon nose cone I printed before the Titan nosecone. The A-20 nosecone is almost flawless, I used the same slicer settings and spool of filament for the Titan nosecone. Also in the pictures are 2 Centuri PNC-70 style nosecones I printed afterwards using the same slicer settings (but at a higher resolution) and filament, and they are both flawless.

Actually you can see the faceting I observed in the print of the nosecone in the thingiverse image of it. I also had a problem with the nosecap, there seems to be a gap between the bottom plate and the cup or saucer shaped top part, after placing this cap into the bottom of the nosecone the upper part that fits along the nosecone wall easily separated from the bottom half. All the images of the parts you posted to thingiverse show this same faceting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_4177.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  1.94 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_4180.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  1.63 MB  

Last edited by teflonrocketry1 : 04-06-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:41 PM
Craftsman

OK i'm going to print it out and see if I can work it out what is going on .
Old 04-07-2018, 07:08 AM
Craftsman

Scott,

Does thingiverse limit the file size you can post, which equates to a lower resolution .stl file?
Old 04-07-2018, 12:30 PM
Craftsman

I am not aware of any file size limits on thingiverse, I have not done anything to compress the files in any way. Perhaps it is a setting in freecad, I am new to using the software.

On the nosecap, I made a whole new one this morning which starts with a cylinder and trims away pieces until I get the shape that I want. So that the resultant 3d piece is a single piece. The pieces that I have made so far have all been primitives stacked on top of each other at exactly the defining borders between them, After creation I gather them all up and make a union in freecad. So i have printed the new nosecap however I will not post it till I have tried it in a nose cone, which I am currently printing.

I am pretty sure now that the faceting issue that you have noticed has to be an artifact with how freecad handles circular interpolation. Instead of a smooth curve, it converts it to a spline style of object.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Craftsman

having printed out the booster nosecone, I have found an error in the 3d design. I have now corrected that, and I will post it to the thingiverse this weekend. I'm going to print it again, and make sure it looks good.