Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-28-2018, 07:42 AM
Rocket Babe's Avatar
Rocket Babe Rocket Babe is offline
Sci-fi Heroine
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
From 1970 to 1985 the Estes K-36/1236 Saturn V was a "permanent" offering.
I'm of the opinion that all the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo/Space Shuttle scale kits should be brought back permanently....as well as the Nike Ajax and Pershing 1A.
Could care less if we ever get another V2 or Nike Smoke ever again.
About 20 years ago Estes displayed a huge 1/46 Saturn 1B that was about 7.5" in diameter that they were hinting at kitting. THAT one should be offered for G thru I power.



If you want large diameter and HPR you should take a look at the Sirius Saturn V https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/isho...saturn-v-5.html

Specifications:
1:64.59 Scale
Diameter: 6.13 inches
Length (with display nozzles):
67.4 inches (Over 5-1/2 feet tall!)
Recommended Motor: Aertotech RMS I-284

Dave's kits are all you could hope for. The level of detail and accuracy to scale is a builder's dream and his instructions are like reading a good book. He's got kits that transition from mid to high power too.

Verna
http://www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX1UPCG
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C95BNQH
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-28-2018, 11:25 AM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,835
Default

I'm more interested in that large-scale Saturn 1B that Estes displayed many years ago.

The Sirius Saturn V has been out-of-stock for a while now.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and NEVER touch the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Jerry Irvine's Avatar
Jerry Irvine Jerry Irvine is offline
Freeform rocketry advocate.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ
Posts: 3,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Babe
If you want large diameter and HPR you should take a look at the Sirius Saturn V https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/isho...saturn-v-5.html

Specifications:
1:64.59 Scale
Diameter: 6.13 inches
Length (with display nozzles):
67.4 inches (Over 5-1/2 feet tall!)
Recommended Motor: Aertotech RMS I-284

Dave's kits are all you could hope for. The level of detail and accuracy to scale is a builder's dream and his instructions are like reading a good book. He's got kits that transition from mid to high power too.

Verna
http://www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX1UPCG
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C95BNQH
You are so insightful and informative. I wonder where the term babe comes from?
__________________
Exemptions not regulations. Please support DOT treating slow burning solids as not subject to HMR. 2015 NAR President declines!
U.S. Rockets instaship. http://bit.ly/1aca7mA Please buy some rockets.
The O administration believed in tax, spend, borrow, fine, mandate, monologue. D voters will soon be very happy with the election outcome!
Model rocketry is as safe as safe can be defined in human existence. Bow and pray: GH Stine, Orville, Vern, Lee, Lonnie, Carl, etc. No, really.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-28-2018, 03:24 PM
LeeR's Avatar
LeeR LeeR is offline
Retired with Way Too Many Kits
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,789
Default

Mary Roberts next to the big Saturn 1B. I saw it in person at NARCON 92. Tim Van Milligan (now Mr. Apogee) was showing it off.

There was a petition to kit it. I remember sending a letter to Estes.

Main tube is 5.5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  52D19949-D5DD-4C89-B293-C5DFF562AAEE.jpeg
Views: 58
Size:  75.8 KB  
__________________
Lee Reep
NAR 55948, L2

Projects: Super Sky Hook, Estes Saturn V
In the Paint/Detailing shop: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-28-2018, 05:12 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,835
Default

Yep, that's the one.
Didn't realize it was 26 years ago. Also was off on the diameter by 2".
A 5.5" diameter one would still be great. Would probably go to a nice 1200-1500' on a H128.
They would sell plenty if priced at $250 or below.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and NEVER touch the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-28-2018, 06:10 PM
Shreadvector's Avatar
Shreadvector Shreadvector is offline
Launching since 1970.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,123
Default

One or two of them were flown at NARAM-34.

I am sure that one was still sitting in the design room at Estes during the NARAM-60 special tour. No photos allowed.

1:200 Saturn V is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Mary Roberts next to the big Saturn 1B. I saw it in person at NARCON 92. Tim Van Milligan (now Mr. Apogee) was showing it off.

There was a petition to kit it. I remember sending a letter to Estes.

Main tube is 5.5.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-28-2018, 08:48 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,835
Default

1/200 Saturn V ????
Good grief, WHYYYYY ?
ANY Saturn V below 1/100 is too small to show a decent level of detail.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and NEVER touch the brake !!!
No Harm=NO Foul advocate

If you are NOT FLYING LOW in the left lane, you need to GET THE #$&@ OUT of it !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask, you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-28-2018, 10:06 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 8,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
One or two of them were flown at NARAM-34.

IIRC, they flew one just once on a Vulcan G80 and it crashed. I believe there were pics in one of the NAR magazine issues.

Just did a quick search and Initiator101 confirmed my recollections. It was a Vulcan G80 and the ejection charge didn't fire.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-29-2018, 03:37 PM
Initiator001's Avatar
Initiator001 Initiator001 is offline
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
IIRC, they flew one just once on a Vulcan G80 and it crashed. I believe there were pics in one of the NAR magazine issues.

Just did a quick search and Initiator101 confirmed my recollections. It was a Vulcan G80 and the ejection charge didn't fire.


After the primary Saturn 1B crashed at NARAM-34 (I have video), a 'backup', less detailed version, was successfully flown.

It was this less detailed Saturn 1B version I saw in John Boren's office during the Estes tour.
__________________
Bob
S.A.M. # 0014
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-29-2018, 04:55 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 8,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
After the primary Saturn 1B crashed at NARAM-34 (I have video), a 'backup', less detailed version, was successfully flown.

It was this less detailed Saturn 1B version I saw in John Boren's office during the Estes tour.

I don't recall there ever being any discussion on a backup or boilerplate flight. Good to know that there was some success.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018