Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2018, 10:30 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

csaduck,

I just saw the photos, and that motor is from 1992. Was it always in your possession?

I’ve had one D12 motor behave like that. But it was in a box of motors I got from someone else years ago. I had no idea how they were stored. I now steer clear of motors for sale that have an unknown past. Living in Colorado, if you store motors in a garage, they can experience a huge temperature swing, potentially a 100 degrees or more, from Winter to Summer.

Heck, I worry about motors being shipped to me, unless maybe it’s Spring or Fall. We can get incredible temperature swings almost anytime.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-31-2018, 12:20 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaduck
I emailed Estes a detailed summation as to what had happened. Included several photo's of the engine nozzle being cracked and partially blown out, the burnt rocket and of course a photo of the blown apart pieces on the launchpad.
After 3 days, got no response, so I called today. They are sending me replacement pack of engines, and a new rocket ! Also reminded me to store all engines in closed moisture resistant containers out of extreme temperatures. I mentioned I had been storing them in metal US Army Ammo cans and she said that would be perfect, and store in a cool dry place.
She had no info as to a production problem or quality problem, so I guess just a bad engine.

You have to hand it to Estes' customer service. Name one other vendor who would do a warranty replacement on a product which was 26 years old at the time of failure! That date code is from 1992.

Which leads to - do you know the entire 26-year history of that motor and how it was stored?

Oooops - I see Lee beat me to it. Sorry for the department of redundancy department....

And to answer your original question about "anyone else" - I have had one C6-5 fail. It was a more "normal" blow-the-nozzle-out kind of CATO....and yes Estes replaced both the motors and the model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_4420.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  681.5 KB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-31-2018, 11:17 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
You have to hand it to Estes' customer service. Name one other vendor who would do a warranty replacement on a product which was 26 years old at the time of failure! That date code is from 1992.

Which leads to - do you know the entire 26-year history of that motor and how it was stored?

Oooops - I see Lee beat me to it. Sorry for the department of redundancy department....

And to answer your original question about "anyone else" - I have had one C6-5 fail. It was a more "normal" blow-the-nozzle-out kind of CATO....and yes Estes replaced both the motors and the model.

Bernard,
No worries. I’ve made a point numerous times, only to discover someone else made it earlier.

And you are right, that is a heck of a warranty replacement.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-11-2018, 12:34 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thumbs up Update on Estes Engine failure. 2

WoW ! I just got a box from Estes for a warranty replacement of my exploded rocket. Talk about great customer service, this company is #1 top of the list !!!!

They really went out of their way to make things right. The obviously didn't have on had the same model rocket, so they made up on that by adding lots more stuff !

I just had to let you all know how good this company is with so many companies NOT caring about the customers anymore. [IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  108_0762.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  569.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  108_0762.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  569.3 KB  
Old 09-11-2018, 02:04 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Very nice. I'd say that is a good value for your trouble.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !