Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2018, 07:02 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ
My overly technical, and artificially precise reading of step 7 says that the lug would be between the first and second fin that you glue on. Not the second and third, or third and first. If it's between the third and fourth fin, then you might be cloning the wrong kit. The first fin to attach is exactly 120 degrees from the motor clip, taking the thickness of the clip and the fin into account. Be sure to read between the lines in step 7 to determine whether the fins should have been assembled in a clockwise or counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise to our UK friends) direction. Be sure to provide photographic evidence using a Brownie camera, or some other instamatic that was available in the day.

Also, although fin alignment guides help immensely, they didn't exist in the early years. So, I would guess that the build log should include the college-ruled paper with a hand-drawn circle and three fins sticking out which was used to visually align the fins.

A like button would be real handy right here

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 09-04-2018, 07:09 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
My overly technical, and artificially precise reading of step 7 says that the lug would be between the first and second fin that you glue on. Not the second and third, or third and first. If it's between the third and fourth fin, then you might be cloning the wrong kit. The first fin to attach is exactly 120 degrees from the motor clip, taking the thickness of the clip and the fin into account. Be sure to read between the lines in step 7 to determine whether the fins should have been assembled in a clockwise or counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise to our UK friends) direction. Be sure to provide photographic evidence using a Brownie camera, or some other instamatic that was available in the day.

Also, although fin alignment guides help immensely, they didn't exist in the early years. So, I would guess that the build log should include the college-ruled paper with a hand-drawn circle and three fins sticking out which was used to visually align the fins.
In all seriousness, I could never compete. I have re-engineered nearly every rocket I've built. I move launch lugs around, split them in two, make them longer (or shorter), and bevel the ends, if not for aerodynamics, then for aesthetics. I'm sure I'd get clobbered on scoring

I also change the motor mounts, completely revamp the recovery systems, and modify the paint and decal schemes, such as adding the D-power decal to my Camroc booster ('cause it was D-powered).

And I'd readily drop a big block into some 6-banger 1967 Camaro regardless of whether it was a "numbers matching" car - we don't need to stinking matching numbers

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 09-04-2018, 07:21 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
... I have re-engineered nearly every rocket I've built. ....

You got me thinking.... A body tube from an Estes Alpha. A nosecone from an Apogee Avion. Fins from a Fliskits Thing-a-ma-jig. Launch lugs from a Maxi Alpha. A motor mount from a Quest Astra 1 (insert carefully!).

A real Johnny Cash rocket that could be entered in just about any classic model rocket contest.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:27 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:

WITCHCRAFT! WITCHCRAFT! DavidQ weighs the same as a duck!

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 09-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
You got me thinking.... A body tube from an Estes Alpha. A nosecone from an Apogee Avion. Fins from a Fliskits Thing-a-ma-jig. Launch lugs from a Maxi Alpha. A motor mount from a Quest Astra 1 (insert carefully!).

A real Johnny Cash rocket that could be entered in just about any classic model rocket contest.
It's a 50, 51, 52....

You describe a different animal, a SPEV, which is a category unto itself (that probably doesn't get enough respect )

That said, we've seen plenty of stuff launched at the cape over the years that, in many cases, looked to be thrown together - Little Joe, anyone?

So why should cadging a few disparate parts together into some sort of make-believe rocket be any less legit, eh?

I guess I need to build me a Little Dougie

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 09-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Old Submariner

Here's where I've mounted it: on the EH line and the bottom of the LL is 1.625" from the rear of the BT-50. The LL itself is 1.25" long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0496.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  49.9 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Master Modeler

That ought to work.

The launch lug on the Alpha (and the body tube itself) are the only individual parts that have been unchanged for the whole 52+ year run of the Alpha from the first K-25 to the current version of 1225.

Love David's comments.

As to Astronwolf's: The judges in Classic Model, as in other craftsmanship events, use the data provided by the contestant against which to judge the model. In Classic Model in particular, it's the catalog or face card illustration that they mainly go by (or so it was at NARAM-60). Most of these don't even show a launch lug....

Doug: As near as I can tell the judges at NARAM-60 didn't look inside - or they would have seen the length of kevlar I had between the shock cord mount and the rubber shock cord in my entry. There are no judging criteria for the internals....it's how well it matches outline and color on the outside that they are looking at.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-05-2018, 01:45 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Here's where I've mounted it: on the EH line and the bottom of the LL is 1.625" from the rear of the BT-50. The LL itself is 1.25" long.

Looks good. I approve of the way you align the launch lug and the motor clip. That is my preference to do too.

DavidQ's "overly technical" description is incorrect even if it's "artificially precise." Such a rendering ignores the two illustrations on the first page, and in the second illustration of step 7, where the launch lug appears to be in close alignment with the motor clip. The first illustration in step 7 appears to suggest placing the launch lug in a position on the body tube 180 degrees opposite of the motor clip. But in step 10 it appears as DavidQ's imprecise description suggests. My attempt at sarcasm seems to have flown the coop when I suggested the launch lug placement had anything to do with which two of three fins were important for launch lug placement. The best answer seems to be, "it doesn't matter which two fins."

Having judged classic model maybe a dozen or so times, I usually ignore the launch lug except when inspecting the model for "craftsmanship." But if I can see a launch lug in the entry's data packet, I may include its placement when evaluating "similarity of outline."
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 09-05-2018, 11:40 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Having judged classic model maybe a dozen or so times, I usually ignore the launch lug except when inspecting the model for "craftsmanship." But if I can see a launch lug in the entry's data packet, I may include its placement when evaluating "similarity of outline."

Apologies for seeming to lecture someone from whom I should be learning (especially my bit about what's in the data packet). I've only been a contestant a couple of times, never a judge.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-05-2018, 11:44 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Apologies for seeming to lecture someone from whom I should be learning (especially my bit about what's in the data packet). I've only been a contestant a couple of times, never a judge.

I do more learning from your posts, that's for sure.
MTMA Section #606 President