Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2007, 08:37 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Default Some good Weekend flights

Put several flights up this weekend, which was my first of the spring as it has been very windy in my area of Michigan lately.

Enerjet Athena scratch built clone on D15-4T and F24-7T RMS 24, both good flights.
Semroc SLS Aero-Dart on E9-6 BP and E18 RMS24, good flights.
Semroc SLS Explorer on D12-5 BP and D9-4W RMS24; good flight on D12-5, squirrely flight on D9-4W...I hate the Aerotech D9....not enuff thrust for anything except rockets that will get lost on it.
Semroc Scratch-Cloned Centuri Hustler on E28T and D15-4T RMS24; great flight on E28T, lousy D15-4T flight that acted like a D15-10 (bonus delay)....the D15-4T flight coasted nose down for at LEAST 4 seconds causing the screw-eye to rip out of the balsa reducer in the payload section....recovery of the payload was ballistic with no damage....it also EJECTED one of my rouse-tech RMS 24 cases, but was found by the payload luckily.
I HATE BONUS DELAYS !!!!
I think I'm going to drill ALL of my Aerotech delays down 2 secs in the future.
Good flight on D12-5 for my Lil'Hustler and good flight on my enerjet Egg Crate with the same motor.

Sorry no pics as nobody wanted to "man" the camera.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOI, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-15-2007, 05:47 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Put several flights up this weekend, which was my first of the spring as it has been very windy in my area of Michigan lately.

Enerjet Athena scratch built clone on D15-4T and F24-7T RMS 24, both good flights.
Semroc SLS Explorer on D12-5 BP and D9-4W RMS24; good flight on D12-5, squirrely flight on D9-4W...I hate the Aerotech D9....not enuff thrust for anything except rockets that will get lost on it.
Semroc Scratch-Cloned Centuri Hustler on E28T and D15-4T RMS24; great flight on E28T, lousy D15-4T flight that acted like a D15-10 (bonus delay)....the D15-4T flight coasted nose down for at LEAST 4 seconds causing the screw-eye to rip out of the balsa reducer in the payload section....recovery of the payload was ballistic with no damage....it also EJECTED one of my rouse-tech RMS 24 cases, but was found by the payload luckily.
I HATE BONUS DELAYS !!!!
Good flight on D12-5 for my Lil'Hustler and good flight on my enerjet Egg Crate with the same motor.

Sounds like you had some great flights! I'm way overdue since my original purchase but I did get some work done on my SLS Hustler last night. Have you tried anything in either an F reload or F single use in your Hustler yet and do you have any suggestions? I do have some E28T reloads on hand.

Also since it's a Scratch-Cloned and not a kit, what method did you choose to mount your fins? Surface mount with cloth fin reinforcement or through the wall?

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 05-15-2007, 09:10 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

I HATE BONUS DELAYS !!!!

Good to hear someone else had a good session, and glad to hear you recovered the wayward parts.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I surface mounted the 1/4" thick hard balsa fins with epoxy and epoxy fillets.
I also drilled holes through the body tube under the fins before mounting them to form epoxy "rivets" like the old FSI kits used.
I'm pretty sure I launched the Hustler on a F24W RMS24 in the past but I'm not sure...I know I have not tried an F39T yet.
Both the RMS 24 F24 and F39 are "baby F" engines that are only 50 n-sec; think of them as a full "E" plus a full "C" put together. Another way of looking at them is as a "25% F"; they are a far cry from a SU 80 n-sec Arerotech F52, which is similar to the old Enerjet F67 in impulse.
It would go WAYYYYYY high on one of those.
I doubt I will launch it on a 29mm anything other than a 29mm "E" as all the F's are full 100% 80 n-sec F's

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOI, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !