Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2018, 08:15 PM
Craftsman

I'm one who inhabits both, and I check daily to see if there are any new threads or posts, frankly I see maybe 5-10 new posts a day from this site and about 10% are anything related to building/flying rockets. Not to pick on GH but I see a lot about crapping in the toilet tank for example. I keep hoping it will change and pick up here.

My main thing is RC Rocket gliders and I'm usually the only one posting anything in that area, crickets are louder than I am. Truthfully I find a lot more of technical interest in TRF and much more specifically in the glider area.

You folks can complain, you are justified the way you were treated there, and I see a thread like this around once every month or two here.

There are a lot of good folks on TRF aside from mods or owners.

That said I see a lot more now on facebook and tend to post and read more there.

Frank
Old 11-13-2018, 09:58 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
......I see a lot more now on facebook and tend to post and read more there.

That leaves me out, I don't do facebook.

What frightens me most about this trend is not the difference in atmospheres between here and there, what bothers me is the freedom for any yahoo to post anything he wants, correct or not, on the interwebs. And of course, if it's on the net, it MUST be true, right?

But when some idiot posts something not only "technically" wrong, but dangerously wrong, and you go online to try to post some correction info, it usually just degenerates into a mess that a newbie doesn't know how to read, and only has a 50/50 chance of getting it right. People can make poor choices based on what they see online, and get hurt, sometimes very badly.

I am done with arguing (was done a loooong time ago) with self-pronounced experts on TRF ("well it worked for me, it MUST be right!"). I only have a degree in Aerospace Engineering and 35 years of industry experience, so what do I know---
Old 11-14-2018, 09:40 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I haven't made a crapping comment in several months...

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-14-2018, 01:53 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I was late to Facebook, but if you have grown kids and especially when you have grandkids, you’ll miss out on almost everything in their lives if you aren’t on FB. It’s worth it for that alone. I find that now I post infrequently from my FB page, but I do post frequently on FB rocketry groups. I have FB friends from both sides of the political spectrum, so I avoid politics entirely. I hate it when politics mixes with model rocketry. My hobbies are my escape from the crazy world around us.

Finally, I’d add it’s worth being on FB, just to expand your base of rocketry information. It’s possible to be a FB minimalist, but participate in the wide range of rocketry and space modeling groups.

That said, the one thing that drives me nuts is trying to go back and find an old post on any FB group! The Internet forums have no equal in that regard.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 12-03-2018, 09:14 PM
BAR

The "Terribly Run Forum" is still around?? Well isn't that special...

To each his own, but after going through the "same old same old" a half dozen times over there, I finally just got SICK of it one day a few years ago, dropped out, and haven't been back. The change of ownership only made the bad worse and it was no longer worth the trouble IMHO.

Between the new owners being a bunch of moneygrubbing idiots, the banning of a lot of longtime vendors, their going back on their word, the typical jackbooted moderation, and the proliferation of idiotic "word association games" and other @ss-grabbing and naval-gazing threads intended solely to pad certain jackwagon's post counts (like that even matters), it just got to where enough was enough. I left and haven't been back and don't intend to.

IMHO that's been my experience with virtually ALL the HPR crowd-- mostly about "look how big and 'spensive a sparky motor I can buy!" and "hold my beer and watch this!" nonsense. EXACTLY ZERO interest in ANY of that crap! That sort of mindset just dominates that end of the hobby, which is why we won't allow ANY HPR flying on our farms, period.

As for Facebook, NOPE not doing that. Not even interested. A time or two I've farted around with it, but I just don't like it, never got into it, and whatever I need to see my wife shows me. As for rocketry content, well, from what I understand things just disappear over there after a few days or week or so at the most, so WHAT'S THE POINT?? I guess if folks like that sort of thing, more power to them... I don't. Why I've always liked the forums-- things are basically archived so you can look up things of interest or go back and read old threads and so it acts as a repository of information... Facebook is more like a glorified chat room IMHO.

Just my opinions on the matter... Not everything here is perfect, but it's a different mindset and a different kind of folks, and for the most part, MUCH better than the terribly run forum.

Later! OL J R
Old 12-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I was over there for some time, but then one day someone posted something trying to combine rockets and something overtly sexual. To my disgust many replied to it, and the moderators didn't seem to give a hoot. I would have thought they would have wanted the forum to be "family friendly" as I'm sure many kids visit it too. In any case I emailed a moderator and his reply showed no concern at all. I requested my name be taken off TRF. Then I noticed the post disappeared, or so I thought. Actually it was just moved to another forum within TRF. It was kinda like putting it in a brown paper bag and placing it behind the counter. All of it was very sad to me.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:08 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

That is very sad, Mike, but I'm glad you're over here.

This place, and the people, are great.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks NT, enjoying being over here. It was very disappointing what happened over there. I would hate to have any anyone's youngsters come upon that post, it was very vulgar in nature. That person with his sick mind needed to go to some other outlet. I know children are exposed to everything these days, but shouldn't we try to rise above the fray and set a better example?
Old 12-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Sprinkle Balsa Dust on my Cherios

I went over and looked around.......
Yes I got the begging e-mail soon followed by a Pay to Play vendor boiler plate type e-mail.

Made me curious if things had improved.

No, no they have not. The format gave me a headache. Some of the ads where rather amusing

Not relevant but funny.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:26 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Site has been a total POS for at least 10 years.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !