Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2018, 11:12 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Default Jonathan Dunbar passed

I think he was known here as Cohetero-Negro.

Matt Steele posted on Facebook that Jonathan Dunbar, long time NAR member and competitor, passed away this week from cancer.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:16 AM
7/21/61

Great competitor. Great collector.

I first met Jonathan at NARAM 50 when he was very helpful to me and my daughter. Even though he was a serious competitor, he went out of his way to offer help to us newbies. I've never forgotten that selfless kindness.

I subsequently found out that Jonathan belonged to my club here in Michigan (HUVARS) years before I joined. He moved out west years ago but I love hearing the stories from the old timers about his many hilarious envelope stretching (mis)adventures.

Over this last year I had the opportunity to sit and talk with Jonathan a number of times about those stories and he would laugh and laugh and add even more. I also loved talking to him about his truly amazing rocketry collection, one of the very best in the country. Lots of very rare, historic items, and an incredible journey through model rocketry collecting.

I was always surprised that the Jonathan that showed up on these various forums was so unlike the warm, incredibly talkative, fascinating rocketeer that I knew.

I will truly miss Jonathan, but I am grateful that his struggle has come to an end.

Rest in peace my friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_4365 2.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  131.9 KB  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:21 AM
Old Submariner

Peaceful rest to you, brave soul.

I too met Johnathon at NARAM 50. I didn’t talk to him very much, but he seemed to me like a very knowledgeable rocketeer, a quick wit, and a perfect gentleman.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 12-06-2018, 09:58 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Sorry to hear about Jonathon. RIP. I always admired his passion.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 12-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Sci-fi Heroine

I hate to hear this. I've known him for about 15 years and will always remember him as a sweet man. He befriended me and was always encouraging, kind and many times funny and could not wait to join Red Squadron. He will be missed.

God speed Jonathon.

Verna
http://www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CX1UPCG
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C95BNQH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  jdviper002.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  16.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  jdviper001.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  8.9 KB  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Member in Good Standing!

Sad to hear this. I also met Johnathon at NARAM 50. While sharing a place to eat, he told me some of his stories and had me laughing so hard it hurt. I never forgot this. Quite the character. Clear skies and no waiver, Johnathon.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Master Modeler

Johnathan posted some interesting stuff here. I did not know him personally but thought of him as a friend through this forum (before he was banned). RIP.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Apollo Nut

I remember Jonathan well as part of the 'Our' Project ('R' motor) flown at Black Rock in '96 to nearly 100,000 feet; an amateur record at the time.

Jonathan did much of the work for the on-board electronics as I recall, including the on-board live transmitting video camera and the GPS system. I recall all of us (I was doing the video documentation of the launch prep and flight at Black Rock) in one of the rooms there at Bruno's in Gerlach (the small town at the south end of the lake bed) and out by the gas station next door until the wee hours of the morning the night before the flight testing out the live camera and GPS.

On launch morning the next day, Jonathan was stationed about 50 yards away, monitoring the live on-board camera signal. After liftoff and a verrrrrrry long motor burn, the 650 pound vehicle disappeared out of sight into the clear Black Rock skies right above us. Suddenly, Jonathan came jumping and hollering out of his monitoring post screaming "We got video!! We got video!!" He was tickled pink, to put it mildly.

Alas, the vehicle came in ballistic a few miles up range, but we all retreated into one of the RVs and viewed the recorded footage from the live camera on-board the vehicle. For the first time, we all saw the "black of space above, blue curvature of Earth below" footage that has become somewhat common place now. But it was very new stuff then and quite a sight to see.

It was a neat project to cover, and Jonathan's enthusiasm for his work was evident. The entire team of Jim Rosson, Paul Robinson, Phil Prior alnong with Jonathan (and one or two others it seems) was quite an accomplishment.

Rest in quiet peace John...your years here were too short.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-06-2018, 03:16 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I was always surprised that the Jonathan that showed up on these various forums was so unlike the warm, incredibly talkative, fascinating rocketeer that I knew.

He was passionate about his politics as much as he was rocketry. While I'm sad that he couldn't keep them separated on YORF, he did post some great content a few times. I corresponded with him quite a bit by PM where we stayed on the topic of rocketry. It was in those PM's that I discovered he was exactly the man you described.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:31 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I remember Jonathan well as part of the 'Our' Project ('R' motor) flown at Black Rock in '96 to nearly 100,000 feet; an amateur record at the time.
Earl

Earl,

If you have any photos, or a copy of the video you can dig up, I'd love to see them. I had no idea about that project. Thanks for sharing.

Steve