Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2007, 12:17 AM
BP Mafia

Default Semroc VF-261 build thread

This idea hit me after talking to Carl one night before NSL last week. I thought I'd buy the new VF-261 kit when I arrived on Friday, build it one Friday and Saturday night, and paint and fly it on Sunday. I figured that I'd at least get it flown nekkid, but as things turned out, I got everything done but the final strip and decals.
I had two or three steps done before I remembered to start taking pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NSL 2007 004.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  154.8 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-06-2007, 12:29 AM
BP Mafia

Overall it was an easy build, but there were two steps that caused me a bit of difficulty. One was making aerodynamic shapes out of balsa dust. That one just ended badly, and we'll leave it at that for now. I also had trouble drawing straight lines on the boat tail, but I managed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  NSL 2007 023.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  141.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NSL 2007 017.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  138.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NSL 2007 010.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  161.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NSL 2007 009.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  152.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NSL 2007 008.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  155.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NSL 2007 007.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  139.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NSL 2007 006.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  152.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NSL 2007 005.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  148.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NSL 2007 003.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  146.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NSL 2007 001.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  146.2 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 06-06-2007, 12:37 AM
BP Mafia

No pics of the finishing process. Oopsie. Suffice to say that my hotel room was quite the dump, to the point that I did all the finishing and priming in the room. (The bathroom made a pretty good paint booth.) I di the final painting on the field on Sunday, just before the flight. Never thought to get anyone to take a picture of me painting. Double oopsie. Silver all over with a black rudder. I'll get to the stripes and decals one night this week.
In the end, I managed one flight on a B6-4. MAN, did this thing scoot. Even though the field was big enough for the C6-7, I wasn't tempted in the least. I didn't see any of the B6-4 flight! I didn't even want to think about the C6-7.
Recovery occurred quite a ways downrange, and frighteningly close to the gravel path. The rudder was loosened by the impact with the ground, but it was a quick fix. I think I might try to get a flight in this weekend on an A8-3 at B6-4 Field.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Semroc VF-261 on pad, NSL 2007.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  169.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc VF-261, ignition, NSL 2007.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  152.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc VF-261 lift-off, NSL 2007.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  153.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc VF-261 recovery, NSL 2007.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  181.1 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-06-2007, 09:39 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
No pics of the finishing process. Oopsie. Suffice to say that my hotel room was quite the dump, to the point that I did all the finishing and priming in the room. (The bathroom made a pretty good paint booth.)
Hey, that is a great idea! With the humidity here in the summer, I need an air-conditioned paint booth with exhaust fan; maybe I'll save up a few models, rent a room for a day, and paint away. How did you keep paint dust from settling all over the room? Cool model by the way. I'm hoping mine will show up on the doorstep today. Could you elaborate on the part about making aerodynamic shapes out of balsa dust?
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Spray painting in a motel room ????
That's a good one....I hope you paid via cash and not credit card so they can't try adding a "cleanup fee" onto your bill.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-06-2007, 04:23 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Hey, that is a great idea! With the humidity here in the summer, I need an air-conditioned paint booth with exhaust fan; maybe I'll save up a few models, rent a room for a day, and paint away. How did you keep paint dust from settling all over the room? Cool model by the way. I'm hoping mine will show up on the doorstep today. Could you elaborate on the part about making aerodynamic shapes out of balsa dust?

It worked pretty well, and the fact that the hotel room had apparently seen action as a Port-O-Let in a previous life made me not care where the dust settled. I mean, it's not like they CLEANED or anything.
Did I mention that my hotel was a carpeted septic tank?
As for the balsa dust, I tried it as Carl wrote it, but in the end it looked like I wiped a booger on the fin. I don't think it suffers without the aerodynamic shapes.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Spray painting in a motel room ????
That's a good one....I hope you paid via cash and not credit card so they can't try adding a "cleanup fee" onto your bill.

Clean was obviously not a priority in this place.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Master Modeler

The Semroc site has a PDF of the VF-261 instructions. You can see details of the "aerodynamic shape" there. Essentially, you use tissue or balsa dust plus glue to make a putty to make a little nosecone-shaped dingus for the front of the fin-tip launch lugs.

Several layers of Fill n' Finish, with CA or Minwax wood hardener wicked on for durability, would make the part more sandable.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:27 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The Semroc site has a PDF of the VF-261 instructions. You can see details of the "aerodynamic shape" there. Essentially, you use tissue or balsa dust plus glue to make a putty to make a little nosecone-shaped dingus for the front of the fin-tip launch lugs.

Several layers of Fill n' Finish, with CA or Minwax wood hardener wicked on for durability, would make the part more sandable.

That's what I tried to use, but my dingus didn't look like any dingus ever seen in this galaxy. I mentioned my difficulties to Carl and Sheryl at NSL on Saturday and Sheryl seemed to agree with me that it was a bit of a stretch.
Geez, if you'd have seen the screw up I almost had on Friday night, you'd agree that my VF-261 was best left dingusless. Good thing my yellow glue hadn't "grabbed" yet.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Dazed and Confused!

I picked up this kit at NSL. I haven't had a chance to build it yet, but I'm planning to try epoxy putty for the "fin tips". It may look like crap when I'm finished, but I'm gonna give it a shot!

Tom C.