Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Your typical BAAAR...

Default To fly or not to fly...

I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on the subject of flying older classic models...

When I have a old classic kit that I spent many painstaking hours building to look as good as the "catalog" model, I always struggle with the decision of whether to fly it or not. I mean you are risking the model...right? If it's irreplacable (or would cost $100+ to replace on ebay), is the enjoyment of flying it worth the risk.

I use to have a belief that you have to fly everything at least once or it's not a "model rocket", however now that I'm getting older, it's getting harder to push that button on some of my "classic" oldies...

Any thoughts?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrent
I'm curious what everyone's opinion is on the subject of flying older classic models...
[snip]
I use to have a belief that you have to fly everything at least once or it's not a "model rocket",
That's my belief. I think every restored rocket and/or clone should be flown at least once, then you can retire it. But that doesn't mean I won't change my mind. For example, there's a 1/100 Centuri Sat 1B in the stash that could give me cold feet

Quote:
however now that I'm getting older
Perhaps it's time to change your configuration settings. Right now, you're still listed as a "junior rocketeer"

Doug
Old 09-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Master Modeler

Unless you have a very large field, excellent weather and a recovery team, personally, I wouldn't fly any classic rockets.

I would get clones from Semroc to build and fly. Some original rockets just cannot be replaced at ant cost.

Thinking back when I git into the hobby 43 years ago, I built and flew my rockets for fun and enjoyment, if one got caught in a tree, flew away or was destroyed, so what, but now, since many kits aren't availabr, I would say, don't build the original classics, rather the clone. Preserve a piece of model rocket history.

And I bet that Vern and Gleda and Lrr and Betty wished that they had preserved at least one of each of their kits.

My addage is, once it's gone it's gone, the final JUDGE is YOU..........
Old 09-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Old-Timer

Talking Re: To Fly or Not...

While I agree with both sides on this 'debate' here, It has to be flown Once to be called a model rocket. If it has a flight on it, it can be given a place of honor in the collection.

I know what you mean about the Saturn 1B, Doug. I flew the Centuri Saturn 1B on twin B6-2s at an area camp, biting fingernails the whole time. Got it back fine, too.

Now it is displayed with honor on my 'collection' table for area scouts to look at and ask questions about.

Now R.D., I have to ask... Is that an unintentional 'plug' for Dr. Zooch's birds?

Some original rockets just cannot be replaced at ant cost.
N.A.R. #26298 L1
Old 09-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Master Modeler

I struggle with this one also... I recently completed and launched an Estes Saturn V, kit no. 2001. That single launch is it for a while for that particular rocket. I'm not saying it's shelved forever, but it will be on very limited duty.

I'd like a to see a vendor come along and offer a similar Sat V kit that I could build and launch more frequently.

My policy up till now has always been that it's got to fly once, but going forward I'm not sure if that policy will remain in place for the oldies.

If you launch a rocket odds are that it won't come back without at least some battle damange and on a beautiful model like the Sat V, where you have tons of hours into it, battle damage is an unwelcome event...
Old 09-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketking
While I agree with both sides on this 'debate' here, It has to be flown Once to be called a model rocket. If it has a flight on it, it can be given a place of honor in the collection.

I know what you mean about the Saturn 1B, Doug. I flew the Centuri Saturn 1B on twin B6-2s at an area camp, biting fingernails the whole time. Got it back fine, too.

Now it is displayed with honor on my 'collection' table for area scouts to look at and ask questions about.

Now R.D., I have to ask... Is that an unintentional 'plug' for Dr. Zooch's birds?

Some original rockets just cannot be replaced at ant cost.

No plug for Dr Zooch, I do believe I mentioned Semroc though.
I launched a Cox Saturn V once, the top section landed in a very tall tree, noe, the rocket is useless....

But, I also mentioned the flight parameters to have a successful recovery, large field, no trees, recovery team, good weather. As lomg as the motor doesn/t decide to CATO, then, launch away.

Good luck on you flight.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:37 PM
BP Mafia

If you take the time to build it, give it at least one shot on a nice, big field. Otherwise, pull your panties up like a big girl and join the Barbie Yahoo group.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 09-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Dazed and Confused

At this point, the 1976 Astron Interceptor that I recently finished is the only kit I probably won't ever fly. (I now have possession of the re-release kit, so it will be built and flown and the Astron version will likely remain a hanger queen.)

Anything still in production is fair game to fly at least until I get some liftoff shots I'm happy with...even the Semroc Saturn 1B, if I ever get around to building it.

I've got a 25th anniversary Saturn V about half finished that I plan to eventually finish and fly until destruction. My old Centuri kit is now retired and won't fly again, but it's had a lot of successful flights over the years. The new Estes kit (with Centuri wraps) is still in the box. It might get built as a display model if the older Estes kit lasts long enough, but I imagine I'll eventually fly it since I have the old Centuri model to look at.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
If you take the time to build it, give it at least one shot on a nice, big field. Otherwise, pull your panties up like a big girl and join the Barbie Yahoo group.

Thanks I needed that.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

Are suspenders required ?